how well does your splitter start in freezing weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got the swisher 28 ton with the briggs vanguard 10 horse. Mine does have the kickout clutch pulley to make for easier starting when cold. 3 pulls usually fires it up, and switching to atf in the hydraulic system will make easier starting in the cold.
mine has the kickout pulley as well. great thing to have when starting cold for sure

I have an 8 HP B&S from the early 80's on my splitter.It is unbelievable in how good it runs.I can leave it sit till fall and it sometimes starts on the first pull after sitting all spring and summer.Generally in the single digits I need to pull over once or twice to lossen her up and it will burp or start on third or 4th pull.She will also idle down to just a lope.

Yesterday I went out to do some splitting at -8, but on the rise. My 13 hp Honda fired up so fast I hardly heard it turn over and it was running. Left it idle for 7 or 8 minutes, than sped it up to about half throttle for another 3 or 4 minutes and it was good to go.

Ted

I like the seasons here in wisconsin, cept for winter.

LOL ‼
Well that don't leave a lot for you to like... does it.
Here in the northern Midwest we actually have 6 seasons, they are... Pre-Winter, Early-Winter, Mid-Winter, Late-Winter, More-Winter, and Road Construction :D

Let me be more specific then, i HATE December, January, February & March but October in the northwoods makes up for all those nasty months. After deer season in November im a couch potato til spring.

I put a 5 hp honda on one that came off of a pressure washer..the motor is 6-7 years old and will start on the first pull normally..

Latest posts

Back