How well is your saw built

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter nap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If anyone needs to test the toughness of a saw, send it to me for testing. My son in law, who works for a tree service and has a degree in forestry, fell in love with my NEW Dolmar 9010. He asked if he could use it over the weekend.

I got it back today with a broken chain brake handle.

I see a business opportunity here, that boy can break anything:deadhorse:

If anyone needs to test the toughness of a saw, send it to me for testing. My son in law, who works for a tree service and has a degree in forestry, fell in love with my NEW Dolmar 9010. He asked if he could use it over the weekend.

That depends on whether it was broken under fair use or not. I have some ham fisted students in my classes that can pretty well break anything I give them as well.

I think I'll keep mine here at home, lol. I'd have to send him the bill.

Yeah really.

Get over it, Son in law.... At least he's not your blood....

Some of us are being punished for one thing or another, and have a DAUGHTER that can tear up and anvil with a feather.

My dad raised me to know if you borrow and break it, you fix it.
That's the way I've done my kid's, and my son-in-law's. Seems to make everyone a little more careful with your stuff.

Andy

My dad raised me to know if you borrow and break it, you fix it.
That's the way I've done my kid's, and my son-in-law's. Seems to make everyone a little more careful with your stuff.

Andy

He did offer. I told him I'd fix it.
That way I can hold it over his head for years.:chainsawguy:

Ahh.. but what was the story about the broken handle :popcorn:

He must have done something bonehead to bust it. :buttkick:

Ian

Ahh.. but what was the story about the broken handle :popcorn:

He must have done something bonehead to bust it. :buttkick:

Ian

He said he didn't know and I expect that's true, but I have a good idea.

He couldn't believe how it cut and decided to take it up a tree to top it.
I think he hooked that monster on a lanyard and it banged the tree in the way up.
I imagine it cracked then and later when he put the brake on, it broke.

Guys, you'll love this one!

Several years back, maybe seven or eight, we had one of our customers GIVE us an ingot of 6061 aluminum. The only problem was that it was about 5 feet long X 25" X 20". Our band saw (Hyd Mech S20) could only accept about 18" X 13". Of course, the first thing we had to do was drill and tap a 5/8-11 hole in the middle for and eyebolt to move it around easier.

The only way we would be able to get it in our saw was to have it cut along it's length down the middle. So, we called some of the other shops around to see if anyone had a bigger capability saw, and all we got was a few laughs and "good lucks".

The only other thing to try was my Husky 394. We filed the chain edges to have a little less rake angle to increase edge durability and gave it a try. After a few seconds we noticed a little smoke from the quick heat buildup and got out the water hose. As long as we had water running, it cut like a dream. NEVER had to resharpen the chain, unbelievably. I remember it took about half the afternoon to get through the five foot length, but it did it.

Oh, and it threw chips up to about 50 feet.

We still use that aluminum to make fixtures, soft jaws for the vises, etc.

Now THAT is saw abuse. I still use to this day.

Back