How / where do you store muriatic acid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a gallon of muriatic acid that I etched my porch with 8 years ago. The jug has been setting in a storage closet on a wooden shelf in my garage. It is in a white plastic jug and the plastic is bubbling. I wondered why the top of my laquer thinner can that set near it was rusting so bad, now I know. Even though the top is screwed on tight and hasn't been opened for 8 years, it still oozes out some how. Since some of you use this to clean cylinder bores I figure you must have a storage solution. Do you keep it in your neighbors garage?

I have a gallon of muriatic acid that I etched my porch with 8 years ago. The jug has been setting in a storage closet on a wooden shelf in my garage. It is in a white plastic jug and the plastic is bubbling. I wondered why the top of my laquer thinner can that set near it was rusting so bad, now I know. Even though the top is screwed on tight and hasn't been opened for 8 years, it still oozes out some how. Since some of you use this to clean cylinder bores I figure you must have a storage solution. Do you keep it in your neighbors garage?

I keep mine in it's original plastic jug on my concrete floor in my garage. So far I haven't noticed a problem. My garage is damp in the winter months so naturally all the metal cans are rusty.

Should I move it??

I just used mine yesterday.It`s been real humid here lately and noticed the plastic bottle sweats a lot.I also noticed a lot of my parts and tools seem to rust quickly.The acid is on my workbench within 4 feet of all my work tools and some spare parts.Whats the story on the acid?I`m assuming it causes things to rust???Should I move it outside???:msp_confused:

I'm considering getting a water tight lid for a 5 gallon bucket, placing the jug in it and setting the bucket outside. Some of those lids are tough enough to remove that I don't think kids could open them. Joe, the acid is highly corrosive.

The acid has a very strong oxidizing potential. The expansion and contraction of the jug is expelling the HCL vapors. I usually pour a small amount in the jug lid and sit it on top of the jug while I'm using it. Recently, I forgot to throw the unused acid out and now lots of my tools near the bench have a nice coat of rust.

containment

I would at minimum store it in a fresh polythylene jug and recap it. As old as the container maybe- if it cracked in winter or being bumped it would be a bit of a disaster for flooring and surrounding stuff.

Not really a good idea to seal in a bucket because pressure could build up with temp changes.

Any vapors seeping out can rust out steels like buckets, aerosol cans (booom!) etc.

Store on a deep shelf or ventable polyethylene cabinet out of harms way.

Do not store in a box made of plastics like "ABS", "Lexan" polystyrene..as it will quickly crack those materials.

The container likely has a phone number or web address for the MSDS (material safety data sheet) handling- take a look at that- the best source and is required by most states.

I just used mine yesterday.It`s been real humid here lately and noticed the plastic bottle sweats a lot.I also noticed a lot of my parts and tools seem to rust quickly.The acid is on my workbench within 4 feet of all my work tools and some spare parts.Whats the story on the acid?I`m assuming it causes things to rust???Should I move it outside???:msp_confused:

Nasty stuff that acid is!
I wouldn't leave it anywhere near my tools!
I have a half full quart bottle (half full to allow for expansion) that I keep in the well ventilated car port. Like Nmurph, when I use it I pour a cap full then place the cap over the bottle opening to help prevent the vapors from escaping. You know this Sh!t is bad when you open the jug and you can see vapors oozing out.:msp_tongue:

Last edited:
My jug is the original jug I purchased 3 years ago. I store the original container within a 5 gallon pail. My concern is the one gallon jug deteriorating and spilling acid on the floor. The five gallon pail will contain the mess should leakage occur.

Glass is best with a tight cap. Cap must be acid proof, teflon lined is best

HCl is a gas and if not capped will loose potency and rot everything stored near it.

We use concentrated HCl, i.e. twice as strong as muriatic acid and the glass bottles store for years with no problems.

The concentrate is much better for cleaning aluminum transfer too, but keep it off other surfaces

My bottle is sitting all by itself in the corner and it is oozing odor too. I can tell by the amount of rust on the outside of the bottle from the metal dust in my weld shop. DO NOT keep it closed in a cabinet with tools because they will rust also. I found an old cabinet in a shop with an old pint bottle of acid and it rusted everything inside the confined space of the cabinet. Yes the neighbors garage sounds real good to stash it...Bob

The flat roof of my garage hangs over 2 feet on the back side. I screwed one of those long hooks into a stud and hung the jug by the handle. It takes a ladder to get to it and it's out of public view. If it starts leaking it will fall to the ground or splatter on the cedar siding, not on my tools.

I would not hang from the bottle handle, it puts strain on plastic and may crack in winter. Hang a bucket to the wall and simply put the bottle in the bucket and loosely cover with a lid to keep birds and rodents out...

I've had a gallon, plastic, for at least 10 years. It is still potent. I did put a sandwich baggie under the cap before screwing it back on. It sits in our "explosive shed", which is actually my son's old camp from childhood. Moved it outta the woods to about 50' from the house and keep all fuels etc. in it. Two windows that stay open all year round.

Perhaps you already know....Muriatic acid is good for taking off rust. If using it on metal, keep an eye on it. When done can soak in baking soda solution to neutralize the acid.

I used to dig for old bottles when I ran across old dumps. The acid will usually clean up the stains, rust, and whatever, if the bottles are soaked in them. I keep used acid in a Seperate jug, to reuse.

Good thought. I'll use a kitty litter bucket with a flip top that isn't air tight. It should be the perfect size. It'll be fine until my wife spots it, but it's near the firewood that needs split so I think I'm safe.

i use muratic acid for soldering metals like galvanized.try to avoid breathing the fumes. ive put it in glass jars with lids and the lids useualy pop off after a while.if you have a bunch and wat to get rid of it give it to someone with a swimming pool(its the same thing as ph down). if you dont have very much just kill it with baking soda.dont leave the plastic jugs in the sunlight they will get britle.

Glass is best with a tight cap. Cap must be acid proof, teflon lined is best

HCl is a gas and if not capped will loose potency and rot everything stored near it.

We use concentrated HCl, i.e. twice as strong as muriatic acid and the glass bottles store for years with no problems.

The concentrate is much better for cleaning aluminum transfer too, but keep it off other surfaces

If memory serves me correctly, Muriatic acid is H2 SO4 (Sulfuric acid). HCL is Hydrochloric acid. In similar concentrations they are both very corrosive & can cause severe burns, lung scarring, etc. In chemistry labs they were all marked as to their concentration (usually 36N aka 36 Normal) & stored in glass containers. Seems to me the stoppers were also glass, but it has been a lot of years since those days, so I wouldn't swear to it.

Back