How would you drop this? What saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, no lectures. You seem to have a rather low opinion of fallers/loggers. That's too bad, you might learn something from them. Or ,then again, maybe not. Either way, good luck to you.

On the subject of taking a pole saw to work...I doubt if I'll ever see that on any of my jobs. They're fine for specific applications but we wouldn't have any use for one. Might give us a good laugh, though.
Trimming branches off the load? And of course bore cutting the scary trees.:p

I'm no pro faller and I can prove it. As far as the OP's tree, if it looked safe to do, I'd put a few VERTICAL cuts in the side of the tree. Then stack a bunch of the readily available firewood at the base of the tree and light the fire - then go have a beer.

Actually, since I'm retired, if I went back to the house the wife might give me another job. So maybe I'd sit there in a lawn chair and read a book.

Trimming branches off the load? And of course bore cutting the scary trees.:p

Trimming loads might be a good use but the landing man would have to give up his bow saw. I doubt if he'd do it.
Besides which the truck driver wouldn't have anything to do.
As far as bore cutting with a pole saw, I'd like to watch that. From a distance.

Around here, a pole saw is the only saw I've seen some of the loggers use. All the trees are mechanically cut, skidded and stripped and loaded and the pole saw comes out to trim the tips of the logs that are accidentally too long.
Here the butts of the pine trees are up against the tractor and the small end hangs off the back. I see they do it the other way around in some locales.

Been following this thread for a few days, and this video brings back a memory or three... It reminds me of the clean up we had to do on our property back in '09. 135 acres, about 50% pine (45K trees) planted ~75 years ago. We had about 1/2" of ice and every road on the property had pines root balled and leaning across the road and into pines on the other side.

Because of the lean ot the way the ice weight took them over, or who know what else once cut they often would not drop like a normal leaner, they were trying to push back into the stump and pinch the bar. Cuts needed to be perpendicular to the ground, instead of the log so it "slide" off the stump into the ground.

We cut every weekend for 4~5 months, I made a lot of cuts just like that, and never once got used to it...

dw

Okay, no lectures. You seem to have a rather low opinion of fallers/loggers. That's too bad, you might learn something from them. Or ,then again, maybe not. Either way, good luck to you.

On the subject of taking a pole saw to work...I doubt if I'll ever see that on any of my jobs. They're fine for specific applications but we wouldn't have any use for one. Might give us a good laugh, though.

I agree, it would be good for a laugh and no doubt I would learn a lot from a good experienced production faller, a day we reckon we know it all has never arrived in this part of the woods.

To disagree though, I don't have a low opinion of fallers, they are hard working men in difficult circumstances and I take my hat of to them. I just don't go with the pedestal some folks put them on in terms of being the B 'all and end all of infallible bushmen. Please cast your mind back to the numbers that have have fallen by the wayside in your logging career.

Your hanging **it on a possible polesaw application to improve safety ( JMO) for a singular tree that most people would risk assess as hazardous demonstrates my inference that some loggers are unable to change their MO on dropping a tree in "specific circumstances" .....................such as this.

If using a polesaw in this case is increasing the risk then pls tell me how ?

I want to know the 'cons' so go for it.

Any safety related topic is of vital importance and I see this as a chance to learn something.

Tell me how it's safer to be closer to this trunk ?

The thread subject is -

What is the safest way to drop it? To keep it chainsaw related what saw would you use?

Lets leave the personal attacks behind and concentrate on safety and education.

A pole saw? On 40" of oak? Better send it to Randy first.

If someone were to put a gun to my head:

Remove all that ground clutter, preferably with chains and a vehicle.

Small face cut, bore cut it while giving it the thickest hinge I think I can get away with. Continue the bore cut towards the back of the tree if I am still alive. If the tree doesn't snap before I get close to the back of it, I remove the saw, step back as far as possible, then snip the back of it, then run.

Post it to youtube - become a hero. Women love me. Write a book - Michael Chrichton edits it - Jerry Bruckheimer makes it into a movie. Retire to St Kitts.

A pole saw? On 40" of oak? Better send it to Randy first.

Remove all that ground clutter, preferably with chains and a vehicle.

Just to those that say use a rope and truck to skid a 10k tree. how do you manage that? I have most of the limbs off of one of the dropped pieces.

I was trying to swing the top out of that section, with the pickup in the first pictures 3/4" cable and a 20ft run at hit the end of the cable and raised the rear end of the truck 2ft off the ground. the limb just wiggled. Tried that 5 times, did not move an inch.

Their is no way that any rope you can toss in that tree tied to a pickup is going to pull the tree down.

I thank everybody for the useful advice, and the other advice too.

I agree, it would be good for a laugh and no doubt I would learn a lot from a good experienced production faller, a day we reckon we know it all has never arrived in this part of the woods.

To disagree though, I don't have a low opinion of fallers, they are hard working men in difficult circumstances and I take my hat of to them. I just don't go with the pedestal some folks put them on in terms of being the B 'all and end all of infallible bushmen. Please cast your mind back to the numbers that have have fallen by the wayside in your logging career..

Ahhh, but you don't understand The Hierarchy Of The Woods. There is a caste system. As a forester, I'm near the bottom after I leave, at least. That's all I know about my place. Fallers :bowdown: are at the top along with The Hooktender :bowdown:. Yarder engineer and shovel (loader) operators are quite high too. Maybe the yarder engineer might be above the hooktender if he was a former hooktender now running equipment? Next you have the rigging crew, who are setting the chokers and packing rigging, and at the bottom is the log truck driver. However, around here every log truck driver will tell you he used to be a faller:bowdown:. That's just the way it is.

Here's how it works. Sometimes, I would get out early and meet or beat the others to the unit. The rigging crew arrives. We park, they start unloading gear--I start unloading tree marking paint and stuff it in my vest. A few minutes later, The Fallers :bowdown: arrive and tell us we must move as our pickups might could get smashed. We throw unloaded gear back in and move. The Fallers:bowdown: park where we were as it is a convenient place to park and their pickups are magical and won't smash. Well, maybe won't smash.

Fallers:bowdown: are limited to working a 6 hour day. They will be seen happily driving past on their way home or to go fishing while everybody else is working.

That's how it is. Helicopter fallers:bowdown: are the worst. They must not get along because they do not carpool. Six fallers:bowdown: equals six pickups and limited parking for the later arriving coffee sipping forester. She must grab her saw and clear a parking place, which will be then be used by another non carpooling faller:bowdown: on another day.

So it goes.

Darn. The coffee cup wasn't you anyway. It better described the other SA. You got out of the office and into the woods...maybe a pair of boots smiley would more appropriate.

Well, a thermos emoticon would be appropriate with a baggie of Wheat Thins. Things that can be consumed while driving. Or maybe a gas pedal with the rubber worn off?

Ahhh, but you don't understand The Hierarchy Of The Woods. There is a caste system. As a forester, I'm near the bottom after I leave, at least. That's all I know about my place. Fallers :bowdown: are at the top along with The Hooktender :bowdown:. Yarder engineer and shovel (loader) operators are quite high too. Maybe the yarder engineer might be above the hooktender if he was a former hooktender now running equipment? Next you have the rigging crew, who are setting the chokers and packing rigging, and at the bottom is the log truck driver. However, around here every log truck driver will tell you he used to be a faller:bowdown:. That's just the way it is.

Here's how it works. Sometimes, I would get out early and meet or beat the others to the unit. The rigging crew arrives. We park, they start unloading gear--I start unloading tree marking paint and stuff it in my vest. A few minutes later, The Fallers :bowdown: arrive and tell us we must move as our pickups might could get smashed. We throw unloaded gear back in and move. The Fallers:bowdown: park where we were as it is a convenient place to park and their pickups are magical and won't smash. Well, maybe won't smash.

Fallers:bowdown: are limited to working a 6 hour day. They will be seen happily driving past on their way home or to go fishing while everybody else is working.

That's how it is. Helicopter fallers:bowdown: are the worst. They must not get along because they do not carpool. Six fallers:bowdown: equals six pickups and limited parking for the later arriving coffee sipping forester. She must grab her saw and clear a parking place, which will be then be used by another non carpooling faller:bowdown: on another day.

So it goes.
lmao!...............what about a guy that does it all Ms. P? or he is just crazy........

Latest posts

Back