Howdy fellow wood choppers!! NEED a new Stihl 460, 461or 441......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV wood chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been reading and searching though this awesome site!
There sure is a wealth of information on here!! Anyway, been using an old (1991 model 029 farmboss) to cut some firewood for the past few years. Had no clue as to what I was missing, until a co-worker who had a couple of green hickories he had cut down for a gentleman he was clearing brush for. Asked me if I wanted the wood for firewood, couldn't pass up free wood that was easy to get too!!!:msp_tongue: Later that night I went, got my trailer and tractor to load the logs with, and my trusty little 029 with an 18" bar and new chain. I get there, and he pulls out a 460 with a 20" bar and a skip chain. I asked if that 460 cuts that much better than my old 029, he just smiled and said "leave your saw in the truck, and I will trim them, you just hook the logs to the tractor and pull them onto the trailer." Wasn't paying too much attention to what he was doing. Next thing I know, he is sitting on the trailer drinking a gatorade and was done!?!? I only had one 18' log loaded and 5 more to go!!:msp_ohmy:
After all was said and done, it was getting dark, had to get home unload and come back to load my tractor. He came with to help unload with his truck. THEN he showed me how weak my saw really was compared to his. Told me to get mine and start cuttin'! So off I went.....Then I was awestruck when he laid into these 15-18" trees and slaughtered them into 18" pieces for me to split!! To my 1 cut (though a 12" log) he slayed 2-3 chunks with the 460! I just !!
Soooooo now I need a new saw. I have had nothing but good luck with sthil so that is what I am going with, and the dealer is awesome to work with. My needs are for clearing scab trees, cutting firewood (mostly oak, hickory, locust generally hard wood) and storm clean up( which are pine and poplar, usually) on the farms we have.

1* Not sure if I should wait on the 461 to come out, (whenever that will be:msp_confused:) or buy a 460, or the 441?

2* Is the 441 close to the 460 power wise? Would it be more cost effective to mod a 441 to run like a modded 460, or just mod a 460?

3* Are "skip" chains better for faster cutting of hard wood?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Craig

Been reading and searching though this awesome site!
There sure is a wealth of information on here!! Anyway, been using an old (1991 model 029 farmboss) to cut some firewood for the past few years. Had no clue as to what I was missing, until a co-worker who had a couple of green hickories he had cut down for a gentleman he was clearing brush for. Asked me if I wanted the wood for firewood, couldn't pass up free wood that was easy to get too!!!:msp_tongue: Later that night I went, got my trailer and tractor to load the logs with, and my trusty little 029 with an 18" bar and new chain. I get there, and he pulls out a 460 with a 20" bar and a skip chain. I asked if that 460 cuts that much better than my old 029, he just smiled and said "leave your saw in the truck, and I will trim them, you just hook the logs to the tractor and pull them onto the trailer." Wasn't paying too much attention to what he was doing. Next thing I know, he is sitting on the trailer drinking a gatorade and was done!?!? I only had one 18' log loaded and 5 more to go!!:msp_ohmy:
After all was said and done, it was getting dark, had to get home unload and come back to load my tractor. He came with to help unload with his truck. THEN he showed me how weak my saw really was compared to his. Told me to get mine and start cuttin'! So off I went.....Then I was awestruck when he laid into these 15-18" trees and slaughtered them into 18" pieces for me to split!! To my 1 cut (though a 12" log) he slayed 2-3 chunks with the 460! I just !!
Soooooo now I need a new saw. I have had nothing but good luck with sthil so that is what I am going with, and the dealer is awesome to work with. My needs are for clearing scab trees, cutting firewood (mostly oak, hickory, locust generally hard wood) and storm clean up( which are pine and poplar, usually) on the farms we have.

1* Not sure if I should wait on the 461 to come out, (whenever that will be:msp_confused:) or buy a 460, or the 441?

2* Is the 441 close to the 460 power wise? Would it be more cost effective to mod a 441 to run like a modded 460, or just mod a 460?

3* Are "skip" chains better for faster cutting of hard wood?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Craig

Craig if your last name ain't Cogar you're not a real WV Wood Chopper :hmm3grin2orange:

No full skip on short bars for faster cutting. A sharp full comp chain will outcut a sharp full skip in my testing with that size wood about 2-3 seconds per cut.

I would maybe ask and see how soon a 461 can be had.

I have a ported 441 M-Tronic and it is really strong, quite a bit stronger than my stock 460. It's also much more comfortable to run, very smooth. I'd vote 441 M-Tronic.

Looks like the 461 will be more expensive than the 460. A ported 460 will outrun a ported 441 and it is the same weight. Unless money is not a consideration, stick with the 460.:msp_tongue:

Have to agree, M-tronic over the 460 any day.

Better vibe control
Better fuel use
Retunes for you as you work, filter dirties, muffle mods :dizzy:

While a 460 may out cookie-cut a 441CM (stock to stock fellows) many have said at the end of a day production the fewer breaks tro refuel of a 441 will make up that 0.1 second per cut = more wood on the ground in the same time.

Like above skip is slower when in the same size wood and powerful saws. It does allow a really long bar to be pulled better when fully buried.

dw

Looks like the 461 will be more expensive than the 460. A ported 460 will outrun a ported 441 and it is the same weight. Unless money is not a consideration, stick with the 460.:msp_tongue:

I'm not 100% sure about a ported 460 outrunning a ported 441, but I am 100% sure you'll be more tired after a bunch of cutting with the 460.

I'll agree that the AV is better on the 441. But neither saw should be an issue since your used to running an 029! No skip chains on anything under 24".

I'll agree that the AV is better on the 441. But neither saw should be an issue since your used to running an 029! No skip chains on anything under 24".

Very good point, both (all 3 in fact) will feel like light sabres compared to the 029. If staying stock (ie no porting) I'd still pick the M-Tronic, it feels much like a ported saw stock - very torquey and aggressive. And will tune itself after the obligatory muffler mod (and respond well to it too).

Last edited:
I still haven't MM mine. I even bought a second muff so I could figure out exactly how I want it...

dw

i owned a 440 then upgraded to the 460. i love my 460. it likes the fuel for sure. but it feels awesome. im runing a 24 inch bar and a full comp chain.

Which ever you choose will be good..
I go with what I know..
The 460 is solid, proven, reliable and will chew almost anything you feed it..

Back