Hows this saw plan sound?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, im not a commercial firewood outfit or anything. I cut maybe 5 cord a year for myself and helping a few friends. And i live on 35 acres so i do a lot of homeowner type stuff around the house and acerage. I own a 361 that i use for mainly everything and also have a 192T that i use for small stuff in the landscaping and cutting grapevines (hate the darned things) around the woods. My dad gave me his 310 last year and i sold it and bought the 361, but now he is cutting back his work schedule and is helping me cut wood. He doesnt like running the 361 due to weight (he is 62) and is usually content (thankfully!) to run the 192 cutting and stacking brush as im cutting. But he has mentioned a couple times he is thinking about buying another saw. I told him i would go in on one with him...i am thinking 260 pro. Then i would have this available to me when on smaller wood and lighter stuff. What other saw should i consider thats light weight and fun to run for the old man but will also be a value for myself?

He needs a 346XP, seriously. There's not a better 50cc saw on the market. Mod it, and it'll out perform your MS361.

:agree2:

I have both a ms260 pro and the 346xp....To me they are both great saws,,but I always have the 346 with me in the woods...It just feels better in my hands,,,faster stock,,pullin a 18 inch bar on both of em...

I'll look into it. But i have a really good Stihl dealer with great prices just down the road, and only TSC for Husky's locally.

Will be going with a 16" bar probably.

Thanks for the input. Im going to look for a Husky dealer.

A muff modded 346XP will cut circles around a MS260, have better air filtration, and better AV. As much of a Stihl head as I am, there's no way I'd buy a MS260 over a 346XP. They just don't stack up against the competition. The only thing a diehard Stihl head can clame is proven reliablity.

BTW, I can get a 346XP w/16" B&C for $440 I think it is. I'd have to double check.

I took Brad's advice and bought a 346XP NE non-cat w/ 18" B&C. I couldn't be happier. This is coming from a previous 2 saw Stihl owner and all my buddies run Stihl's. This thing pulls WAAYYYYY harder than you'd expect and it's not even broke in yet AND bone stock.

Only drawback is changing the chain with the outboard clutch, but after 2 times, I got it down.

My advice (if you can) - get a loaner of each AT THE SAME TIME with the same B&C length and a sharp chain....then decide....

My advice (if you can) - get a loaner of each AT THE SAME TIME with the same B&C length and a sharp chain....then decide....

I'll try to. thanks. I know i got a friend that has a 260. Found a Husky dealer pretty close. going to go check him out.

I'll try to. thanks. I know i got a friend that has a 260. Found a Husky dealer pretty close. going to go check him out.

I know my local dealer won't loan saws out to just anyone, but they've got logs laying around so you can try them out. If they won't let you take it home, then bring the Stihl to their place so you can try them back to back.

I only have a 16 inch bar on my 346xp ne. I have been cutting a lot of hard maples lately. I can sink all 16 inches of the bar and it doesnt slow down much. It could easily run an 18 inch bar. The 026 I had couldnt do that with that much authority.

does it take port grinding for the 346 to outperform the 361 or is it just a simple muffler mod and shes ripn with the 60cc saws?

does it take port grinding for the 346 to outperform the 361 or is it just a simple muffler mod and shes ripn with the 60cc saws?

I'm curious as well, but thinking probably needs porting. I doubt with just a muff mod it would out cut a 361.

If it was me and it was for my dad. I think I would just get a muffler modded 445 and have done with it.

If it was for me or I just wanted more for my dad than 346xp for sure.

Take him to the dealer with you and have him handle some saws. If he's going to be the on using and if he chips in on it, I say he's going to want some say in what saw to get.

Another shameless posting of my 346XP 16 inch bar. Great saw. I would have never considered buying it if not for the super members of AS. Wow...what a saw!

attachment.php

Does the 346XP runs a Picco Micro .043" bar/chain?

Just wondering after seeing the last pic with the Oregon Micro-Lite bar.

346xp

I have just bought a 346xp after my buddy got his and wow it is a great saw and i am a stihl man but this saw is great light and tons of power i am impressed and might become a husky man because of it...... NOT but it is a great saw. If you do get this great saw try to get the one without the cat in the muffler.

Back