How's Your Firewood Pile Coming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit to winter being my favorite season. No allergies, no humidity, life slows down a little because of the snow, its pretty as h*ll, and I get to have fires every day!!

Folks belly ache about how harsh the winter can be here in Flagstaff but, frankly, there's just NOTHING colder than loading cargo on the shore of Lake Erie in the winter. For the most part, winters here are pretty pleasant.

Folks belly ache about how harsh the winter can be here in Flagstaff but, frankly, there's just NOTHING colder than loading cargo on the shore of Lake Erie in the winter.
Lake Erie is part of a weather system all of it's own.It's often colder in it's proximity that Alaska.Those storm fronts may take a notion to circle the big lakes several times in a row dumping snow and freezing every thing in sight on each pass.There are few parts in the nation that can experiance temperature changes from 100 degrees to 20 below zero,in a season.

This years is split and stacked at the house. Next years is bucked into rounds and stacked at the farm. Year after that is cut into 10- 20 footers and drying. I am as far ahead as I have ever been.

I live just a few miles below Abiquiu. ...I thought the same thing about bark beetles, but I've since learned different. I think pinons are weakened by drought quicker than the Pondarosa, making them susceptible to the beetles. If you have any fire scorched Pondarosa near you, take a look at the holes in the bark. Knock some off, and you'll find the beetles, though the ones I've cut don't seem to get the mold between the bark and the wood like the Pinons do. I guess it could be a different bark beetle, but when I discussed it with the Forest Service biologist, she didn't indicate that it was, and they look the same to me.

If there are bark beetles in Ponderosa I've never heard of it. Could be.

I have three full cords sitting stacked and drying since April. All pine,spruce and some poplar I know boo but it is all I have up here! I have a little birch about 1/2 cord for cold nights that was cut last Nov. I still cut dead standing for the fire pit and need more but love to go to the woods in winter and cut.
It has been a very hot dry windy summer so it is all nice and dry. Almost time to start next years pile.
P.S I use 5 cords a year plus a little extra for the fire pit and bbq.

020_5.jpg

Around 30 cord counting 8-9 under the maple to the left. It has grown by several cord since the pic was taken and will grow by a bunch more after the farmer harvests so I can get to some leaners on the field edge.

That is a result of a salvage operation on a grove that was fire killed about 5 years ago. Case of harvest it or let it rot.

Harry K

Pallis and Walter, I would've thought you boys would have some good juniper to cut, no? MUCH better than pinyon.

It used to be that Juniper was all I cut, but finding dead Juniper around these parts is a chore. Pinon is pretty close to Juniper, but it smokes a little more. I went out and did some exploring yesterday and found a nice spot with some large, dead Ponderosa. Between that and some smaller Pinon, I should be able to get another ten or fifteen cords without having to work too hard to get to it.

Between that and some smaller Pinon, I should be able to get another ten or fifteen cords without having to work too hard to get to it.

I'd like to hear about your honey spot where I wouldn't have to work to hard to put up 10 - 15 cords of pinon firewood.

I'd like to hear about your honey spot where I wouldn't have to work to hard to put up 10 - 15 cords of pinon firewood.

The area is above the Abiquiu land grant on the Santa Fe Nat forest. If you have a Santa Fe permit map, it's called Mesitas #4. It is a long drive over a dirt road, but it is only bad in a few places. The place I found is just before you get to the main Mesitas cutting area. My son and I pulled off to look at some standing, dead Ponderosa, and discovered a little draw we could drive up. I don't know how far it goes, but there is a mesa to the south of it that has plenty of dead wood, not too much Pinon though. However, there is a lot of Pinon along the way and, I would imagine, further up, if you are interested, I'll do more looking when I go back up. ...By not much work, I mean it is sitting where I can back the trailer up to it. I consider the cutting part fun, not work. Come on down, and bring your saws. We'll make a day of it.

If there are bark beetles in Ponderosa I've never heard of it....

Well, since you haven't seen it, I guess it just isn't so. There is some interesting information on bark beetles and Ponderosa on the Internet or you can get around some of the fire scorched Ponderosa, and see for yourself.

"Heres my pile, A few hundred cords." That is truly an impressive sight, Bigmac.

Last edited:
Well, since you haven't seen it, I guess it just isn't so. There is some interesting information on bark beetles and Ponderosa on the Internet or you can get around some of the fire scorched Ponderosa, and see for yourself.

"Heres my pile, A few hundred cords." That is truly an impressive sight, Bigmac.

I wasn't doubting you or trying to imply you don't know what you're talking about. Sorry. Peace. [Smile]

Latest posts

Back