How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
My mother has a HUGE wood stove. She uses wood and wood only. Her house is on the CT registry of old ass houses,(literally old, like 200 years) and she doesn't use more than 6.
Hmmmm.....
My house is not "HUGE", it ain't even "big" (100-year-old, single story, 1104 sq ft above grade)... 6 cord might heat it during a mild winter (probably not), 8 cord is typical, last year it was something over 10 cord. It doesn't seem to matter what type of appliance I'm burning the wood in, it flat takes somewhere between 7 and 9 cord to heat most years. If'n your mother is heating a 200-year-old house with 6 cord or less... well... her winters must be a lot milder than ours.

Now, I know the Seneca, IL area where hupte lives, and they typically don't see the extremes we do, but... I'm seeing an OWB and a 2-story house in his pictures, and he says he's heating a shop also. If I used over 10 cord last year with an indoor forced air furnace, and he's heating a 2-story home (twice the above grade sq footage), plus a shop the size of my home (1200 sq ft) with an OWB... 25 cord last year don't sound out'a line at all.

Ty maine....I always cut for myself and don't sell, but I do see ads where people are selling it by the rick and I have always called the rick 4x8 and I am amazed at some of the measurements some people try to pass off

I still rhink this is gonna end up being next year . Wood....i have 10 cords stacked overhead, this was some OO I cut in july

Troylee they can be bought at harbor freight pretty reasonable if.you have one close or ordered from there. ...cantoo I have a treated 2x4 15' it's dark here now but if you want me.to take a pic using it as scale. ...just want me to lay it on the ground next to the stack?

Excellent...cantoo I have a 2x4x15' you want me.to use it as a scale?....it's dark will have to wait till tomorrow

Latest posts

Back