How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
DSCN0356.JPG DSCN0355.JPG DSCN0354.JPG DSCN0353.JPG i really should get a pic from above so you can really see how much wood that there really is. i wish i didnt have to burn 25 cords a year. cause then this wood would last several years instead of 2.5-3
DSCN0352.JPG

Are you heating a 50,000 sqft wharehouse? That's a lot of wood
sorry if my pics posted twice. i'm heating a 2200 sq ft house. its just an old drafty single pane window farm house. and a 1200 sq ft, semi well insulated shop.

I am new to the cord measurement, for the last 10 year's everyone in my area uses rick, mine lengths are 20" and a rick is considered 4x8 foot stack I burned 20 rick last year here in Indiana and it's an old 1700 sqft no insulation 2 story...are you burning cottonwood and popular. ..mercy that's a lot of wood. ..and I keep my house 80 and it's the only source of heat

I get into some junk wood like popular and cottonwood every year...I put it on the ground cause I don't care if it gets wet or rots away it ain't worth carrying in and loading in stove

Ok back to this chord measurement. ..I cut my wood 20" lenghts I stack 4X8 I call this a rick...how many of my rick does it take to equally a chord

* Gasp *, that much wood being burned you could be outside during the winter next to an open fire. Buy some insulation, or steal some. Rip out the insides of old abandoned couches dump on the streets and shove them into the holes in your "home"'s walls.

I kinda need to see this 2200 sq ft home. Post a pic. Because I never used 25 cord a year ever. My mother has a HUGE wood stove. She uses wood and wood only. Her house is on the CT registry of old ass houses,(literally old, like 200 years) and she doesn't use more than 6.

I cut my wood 20" lenghts I stack 4X8 I call this a rick...how many of my rick does it take to equally a chord

One of your "ricks" is equal to .4165 cord (4 x 8 x 1.666 ÷ 128 = .4165)... so, 2.4 of your "ricks" equals one cord (1 ÷ .4165 = 2.4).
If firewood is cut to 20 inches long and stacked 4 feet high... a row 19' 2½" long would be one cord.

As I understand it, a "rick" is a 2-dimentional measurement in most areas of the country... i.e., the height (4 ft) and length (8 ft) of a stack. The problem with using "rick" as a measurement is, without knowing the length of the cuts, it doesn't tell you the volume. If one of your neighbors cuts his firewood to 12 inches, a "rick" only equals ¼ cord... if another neighbor cuts his firewood to 24 inches, a "rick" equals ½ cord... and firewood cut to 16 inches equals 1/3 cord.

Back