How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
here is a couple pics of the house. i'm in the middle of a remodel. i took off a big section of the siding today and found no insulation, no tyvec, nothing but big air gaps under a huge section of the first pic.
DSCN0363_zpscb2a64b2.jpg

DSCN0362_zps4b54892b.jpg

DSCN0360_zps8ad515f2.jpg

DSCN0364_zpsb247e62d.jpg

the 4th pic is out a book of historic houses of lasalle county. idk the year the pic was taken. but its my house in the back ground. its kind of the same angle as the 3rd pic. the house used to have gingerbread on it. but its all rotted away now.

ya i think they often used tar paper, or something similar. i shouldn't have used the word tyvec. i shoulda said house wrap, sorry, my mistake.

ya i think they often used tar paper, or something similar. i shouldn't have used the word tyvec. i shoulda said house wrap, sorry, my mistake.

No worries hupte ... strong brands have a way of taking over the vernacular - Tyvec, Kleenex, etc.

That house of yours has some serious history - looks like a nice project. Keep those photos coming.

How's your nice central chimney holding up? Huge advantage to keeping a house warm with central chimney. Can you burn in it as is or does it need re-lining?

I have roughly 15 cord hard wood ready for winter plus a few cord so pine and hemlock the OWB eats wood I throw at it .
cut, hauled split and stacked by my self .

Attachments

• DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0081.JPG
    DSC_0081.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 84
I have roughly 15 cord hard wood ready for winter plus a few cord so pine and hemlock the OWB eats wood I throw at it .
cut, hauled split and stacked by my self .

Nice!

I like standing guard of the woodpile.

Like I said before I am not used to the cord measurement at all so if some of you cord guru's can assist me...I have 5 stacks of wood 20" lengths 6' high 23' long and 130' X 5' high 20" lengths, if my math is correct with my rick measurement I have 40 rick give or take, what's this in cord?

according to my calculations it is 17.378125 cords total
1.66'X6'X23'X5=8.9484375 cords plus 1.66'X130'X5'=8.4296875 cord

Cool...tyvm. ..here in southern Indiana everyone deals in Ricks not cords and a Rick is just a 4x8 stack at length and that can be anywhere between 16" and 20" my stove can take a 24" log but I cut to 20" due the ease of just using my bar to measure

I would like to think I can stay under 10 cords burning this year by your calculations. ....but it cooled off here already and I have already started burning...mostly the" not so good" wood I have like the sycamore cause its cool...30's at night 50's in the day, but not the cold that I am expecting later this winter

No worries hupte ... strong brands have a way of taking over the vernacular - Tyvec, Kleenex, etc.

That house of yours has some serious history - looks like a nice project. Keep those photos coming.

How's your nice central chimney holding up? Huge advantage to keeping a house warm with central chimney. Can you burn in it as is or does it need re-lining?
ok i have more pics but i don't wanna post hijack. maybe i should start my own. i have been taking pics of the remodel. (new siding and windows) i'm pulling the old siding and windows. the central chimney is working really well. its more efficient but it really should have a re-line soon. i burned in it twice last year. (polar vortex's) i mostly burn in the owb. originally this house had 3 central chimneys, and 3 wood burning stoves. it had no fire place and no insulation... its strange, i wanna just knock this house down and start new, but alot of ppl tell me not to cause they think its so cool/historic... they see history, i see a headache.

Back