Hundreds of trees cut today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
All those hundreds of trees were cut by hand and I didn't get a single stick of firewood. They were all maple. And in my garden. Had a bumper crop of helicopter seeds this year and a lot of them started growing in my garden. A tiller and a hoe were the tools to take down all of those trees. Still have more to go.:(

Cleaned the gutter out eh..hahab..i just wish my house had gutters..lol

Here in New Jersey was bad too. I've never seen so many maple seeds before. They were everywhere

Yeah, the Silver Maples (and elms) dropped a bumper crop here this spring also, and it's been wet enough they're sprouting just about everywhere. They especially seem to like the mulch in the asparagus and flower beds. At one point it looked like a zillion of 'em in the yard and I even had them sprouting and growing up between the splits in the firewood stacks. The Silver Maples make a mess every spring; my front porch is always carpeted in those winged pieces of crap... this year it was like 1970s shag carpet (luckily a leaf blower easily moves 'em off hard surfaces).

The Cottonwoods just finished, also especially heavy this year. About 10 days ago it looked like there was a massive feather pillow fight going on outside... them devils even ended up floating around inside the house just from going in and out the door. It'll be interesting to see what the hard maple, oak, walnut and hickory do this fall... last year was a non-event for them. Funny how it goes though... I ain't seen but a few blossoms on the Black Cherry trees.

Yeah I got few Maple growing in the corner of gutter. Full and I even cleaned them out. Went fishin in SoDak last weekend and the one before and Cottonwood seeds were blowin like crazy.

Bumper crop of silver maple here to the point that some of the trees looked almost bare when the helicopters finally all came down. And the cottonwoods crapped fuzz for over a month straight despite lots of rain to knock that garbage down. Seemed the red maple were heavier than normal but nothing like the silvers.

Kind of makes one wonder about the upcoming winter. There is all sorts of "lore" out there about the spring seeds and falls seeds and how it sets the stage for the following winter.

Jeff

Kind of makes one wonder about the upcoming winter. There is all sorts of "lore" out there about the spring seeds and falls seeds and how it sets the stage for the following winter.

Jeff
High mast equals mild winter? Or extreme?

Bumper crop of acorns in upstate NY last year and they had winter from Hell...not sure if they are related.

Bumper crop of acorns in upstate NY last year and they had winter from Hell...not sure if they are related.
We had near zero acorns and walnuts last fall, and although I wouldn't describe the winter as "from hell", it weren't short or mild neither.
Truthfully, I've never noticed any correlation between the mast crop and the following winter... for whatever that's worth. (shrug)

We had near zero acorns and walnuts last fall, and although I wouldn't describe the winter as "from hell", it weren't short or mild neither.
Truthfully, I've never noticed any correlation between the mast crop and the following winter... for whatever that's worth. (shrug)
Our winter was quite mild. The NE got a typical Midwest winter which was more than they wanted.

Whaaa?? Dunno, but I'm guessing I didn't.
L :laughing: O :laughing: L
Sugar Maple seeds drop in the fall and need stratification to germinate... they need a certain time period of cold, damp conditions. Although the exact numbers will vary depending on source, it takes somewhere 'round 60-90 days of 34°-44°. In nature stratification is accomplished by overwintering in the ground (with a low rate of success, and not all winters are favorable), but soaking them in room temp water for a day or two, then placing them between wet paper towels in a plastic bag in your refrigerator gets it done (you can also put them a container with damp potting soil covered with plastic). Once you see them begin to germinate you can plant them if all chance of frost is gone, or plant them in small pots on your window sill until conditions are favorable.

Try it with your kids this coming fall and winter, it's fun... that is, if the lady of the house is good with seeds and wet paper towels and/or dirt in her fridge for 2-3 months :D

The term stratify comes from an old agricultural practice from before refrigeration where seeds that need that cold moist period were placed outdoors in strata in a garden bed over the winter. Being buried a few inches deep with a straw cover to avoid the extreme cold of winter they could be dug up in spring and planted with decent success rates. Many, but far from all, tree seeds fall into the category of seeds that benefit from stratification. One notable exception that is common to us is the white oak group. Those seeds will send down a tap root within weeks of falling to the ground and will then show above ground growth, stem and leaves, the following spring. The low rate of success of white oak family acorns is because so few get buried in those first few critical weeks. If you manually plant a few acorns of white oak, bur oak, swamp white oak or others of that family as soon as they fall to the ground you will have seedling trees the next spring in abundance.

Yep, sugar maples are the only maple that helicopter in the fall. I've got plenty around me. I am bombarded all year. Soft maples, cottonwood and locust pollens all spring, Hackberry, walnut and cherry dust -pollen all summer, then comes my sugar maples. Makes it real nice for a swimming pool.....not!

Latest posts

Back