Hurricane Clean-UP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question tree bob. To further specify that same question. What rates, what city, and what contractor to contact w/ contact info...

hello all
to answer about the pay i learned tonight that if you can get the job for debri removal it is $6.50 cu yd you have to load and unload. i havent heard how far they are typically haulling it. that is the question of the day. if you dont have to drive 30min a direction it would pay off with a big dumper. so thats the figures i know of if its true dont know. we are heading south mon driving down with a few other tree companys. have everything pretty much set to go.
Jay i hope you dont mind me calling you friday have a couple questions. anyway hope all goes well for anybody down there, and all that are staying at the homefront good luck, be safe.

P.S. its been nice talking to everyone thats calls sorry for those that i didnt answer on. i have been so busy to double and tripple duty for the home busineses. all those that left messages i will return all calls i've drained my cell battery 2-3 times a day. its really wild about all the interest and helping of others. i will continue to help in any way i can. i am heading to the cell store to get a nation wide plan activated so i can reduce roaming charges. :dizzy:

adding somthing else was told if you have extra room the locals are in need of
:"the inside scoop is >> take lots of mosquito spray children and adults, matches, candles/citronella, tiki torch oils ...these are things that the local clerks are saying the people need most" quoted from an email i recieved tonight.

D.J. Walsh
Precision Tree Choppers
319-795-1452cell

TreeMachine...Team One is headed out to Picayune now.. Total of 8 for now...we'll keep you posted.

I sent you and email from this site yesterday..did you get it...it has my personal contact info in case you need it.

I will check email when I get a chance thru my daughter while on the road today.
Thanks.

insurance

checked with insurance company yesterday and found out workman's comp matters which state you are in. Oddly enough already covered in Alabama from Iowa but not Mississippi or Louisiana. It was a huge chunk of change for those. But got to have it. So if you haven't checked yet you probably should. Also don't forget the Tetanus shot and they are recommending the Hepatitis series. Had that one tetanus was due and my arm still hurts. I hate that shot. :)

I respect and appreciate all you men heading down to the South. For the severel dozen who have called me, I apologize for not having answers to more specific questions like local prices of gas and diesel, local availability of water near ground zero, where are there dump sites, dump site fees, names of FEMA heads, how to score a contract and what roads are still not passable. I wish I knew all this, but even a firm answer today may be a different answer tomorrow.

I'm glad you guys are connecting and doing convoys or at least meeting up down there. I think there's power in the comradery and I hope we can all feel no sense of 'competition' with one another. There are excessive numbers of people who need our help and that will continue for several months. We all need to watch out for one another in our quest to help others.

Pantheraba, I got your info yesterday. Best of luck and skill to you guys. You're going right for the heart of it. My lines are open to you and I may be calling towards nightfall to check on those who've given me your numbers.

PTS, you guys sound well-prepared with onboard water and fuel and your entire shop in a closed trailer. You are a rolling mobile maintenence unit.

GOOD LUCK, GENTLEMEN, and thank you for contributing to the pool what information you've learned. I will contribute more as it comes in, but I encourage those 'in the zone' to feed us back here. you are more 'in the know' than us remote from the scene. Our info is second-hand. Yours is direct experience and very valuable.

Boo has been in there over 10 days already, way south. We need to hear from him.

want to go south from seattle

anyone out there like to go south for a few months? leaving seattle maybe in a couple of weeks with one ton truck and chipper, via montana, colorado.... ph 1 206 235 9793.

I heard from a guy today who's back from down south. Said that if they hadn't taken two 100 gallon diesel tanks they'd have been screwed. Also said gasoline is scarce to just plain unavailable. Guys working in New Orleans are going over 120 miles away for a hotel room. They took three skid steers down and did $30,000 in three days. That said, I'm going to an auction tomorrow to look at a Case 1845C and a grapple bucket. But then I'd need a bigger trailer. And on and on.

The company I work for sent down their first wave of equipment. They sent a modified log truck with sides, a tractor trailer with an open top trailer, a backhoe trailer modified with sides, 4 bobcats with grapples, 1 bucket truck, and a trailer to live out of.

Good luck to everyone down there.

Last edited:
6.50 if that is what they are paying it is not bad, I think in Pensacola they where paying 3 bucks.

Per Yard

FEMA will pay $10.00 a yard. But it goes down hill from there. General Contractor subs out work for 6.50 and SubSubcontract sub work out for 4.50.
Top money goes to the General. See how it works!!! Just made it to MS been working in Bham all this time with trees on houses.

If any you guys see me down here stop by and introduce yourself, maybe after this is all over we can have a get together Deer Hunt or something! Good Luck!

patrick riedl said:
anyone out there like to go south for a few months? leaving seattle maybe in a couple of weeks with one ton truck and chipper, via montana, colorado.... ph 1 206 235 9793.
Hey Patrick, welcome to Arboristsite.

If you don't get a call in a day or two, pop back in here. We have had a good number of guys hooking up, pooling resources or sharing knowledge. The more serious you are, and the more firm your dates of departure the more likely you'll get a hookup.

logcutter429 said:
Does anyone going down, need a top saw hand, have my own saws and a 4x4 please respond for more info.
Same for you, 429. There ARE teams who can use you. Project your seriousness and desire to help. How long would you be willing to be down there? You guys who want to align with another team, we WILL find you a crew. Stay tight here. We will help you. Also, let us know when you find a team.

Lynn, Kentucky, Boston and others, thanks for the input on what pay is like for hauling, what equipment is most useful and the situation on lodging and fuel. All VERY, VERY helpful to the other teams going down. We acknowledge that once you're down there IN IT, time is at a premium and for you to take some time out to bring it back here and share, it's exceedingly appreciated. Keep it coming! You guys are making a difference!

Going down in two weeks

Hello, my name is Augie, and I spoke to Patrick Reidel last night about hooking up on the way down to "The Zone". We will be leaving in about two weeks from Casper, Wyoming and were wondering just where will we be needed most, and will Patrick need his chipper. We will be a self-contained unit consisting of a motorhome, tons of fuel, food and water, chip truck, chipper if needed), all tools, saws, and lines, and at least two climbers.

Tree Machine, you seem to be the man in the know, so we'll follow your advice, and if anybody else has some as well, by all means, please, please, sound off. How do we find contracts, where it's safe to leave trucks overnight, what type of insurerance is needed, and anything else we may have missed will be VERY much appreciated. Feel free to call me with advice or if you are going down as well.

Thank you in advance,
Augie Heuer (307) 797-0355 or email me at [email protected]

Welcome August, I have worked a few storms in NY and VA, and I would suggest leaving the chipper home. Most of debris removed will be piled at curb for later pickup by debris removal contractors. Most of your tree work will be removing damaged trees or corrective pruning to save what is left. Debris is piled at curb and you move on. Skidders, grapple loaders, cranes, and manpower is what is needed to move debris from structures and out of backyards. As for insurance, check with your carrier and make sure your policy will cover you in the area you plan on working. You will need to get business license for the area also. Good luck and be careful.

Thank you Dadatwins, I'm a small operation, so no skid-steer or grapple truck yet. I have 2 334's, a Jonsred 2065 with a 24" bar, and Patrick has an 066 (I don't know the bar length), along with assorted other saws...will we need larger saws?

Thank you again,
Augie

66 w/ 36" bar will get it done from my experience.

Leave the chipper home and use the chipper truck to haul a rented skidder

Hard to say what saws you will need, but I would rather have them with me at the start, since there will be nowhere to get them on site. As for small operation, no worry, lots of work for all during a storm cleanup and if successful you will grow quickly.

Thaks guys, I'll pick up a Husky 395 before I leave. Tree junkie, good call on renting a skid-steer! I'll check into pricing tomrrow
Thanks,
Augie

Back