HUSKEE 22 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know you or your wife but I'm willing to bet that she likes keeping her butt warm from the wood heat and I'll also bet that she dosen't help much with the firewood.Mine will help some but it is pretty much my job to cut,split haul and stack so I understand getting something to make it easier for yourself.

Tanker...You are sooooooo! rite...I sort of bought it home without her knowing about it OOPS!!!...oh well...Now today my Brand New FIRECHIEF 500 arrived at the stove store near my town and i have it home in my truck ready to unload and get er in the basement...I took out fire brick,doors,baffels and the grates to get er a bit lighter, I will enjoy thr install, I have my permit and ready to go, then back to cutting and splitting for next year...Later all and thanx for all the great comments, Dan:givebeer: :clap:

Just went out last Friday and bought one myself ($1099 at TSC, but I wasn't clever enough to get any additional discounts). Trailered it to PA from western NY and used it Saturday and Sunday on very well seasoned red oak and newer cherry, 18"-22". Worked well, although it was possible to bog it on some of the oak pieces. We used it exclusively in the vertical position. A steady diet of seasoned white oak would probably warrant a bigger unit! But it split everything we had cut and worked as advertised.

Thoughts and potential issues based on just 2 days of use:

1. The oil filter hangs way down there and definitely has stump-hanging potential if you take the unit into the woods like we did.

2. The foot (or base or whatever) of the I-beam could be a bit bigger diameter for larger diameter logs. We'd cut up a 30" red oak and had about each piece hand split into quarters or thirds for handling (last week, pre-splitter). These seemed to me to be about as large as it would handle comfortably. I'll try it out on the full-width pieces soon and report back.

3. It runs out of gas pretty quick, but looks like it only holds about a quart! My impression was that you could run all day on a couple gallons of gas. I probably spilt more trying to hit that little filler hole with the g@%$%^mm Ralph Nader pour spout as I used.

4. A handle up at the hitch end to lift it up with or roll it around by hand would be a nice feature, and might be an add-on, as might a couple tie-down points for trailering it longer distances.

5. The power seemed sufficient and the valving worked just fine. The cycle time wasn't an issue at all with our wood and 2 people to operate it - 18" long pieces of straight grained hardwood mostly didn't need anywhere near the full stroke to split.

So far it looks like a good buy. -WSJ

I'm new to the site. I went out to TSC last Sunday and looked at their 22, 28, and 35 ton splitters. I will only use it occasionally, splitting 1-2 cords per year.

After reading these threads I'm pretty sure the 22T will meet my needs, and like an earlier poster said, I can use the difference on a new chain saw, or another toy.

TSC has the 22T on sale right now for $999 until October 24. I had a number of walnut and locust trees taken down recently. It is a sizable stack of wood about 20 feet by 15 feet by 4 feet high. The largest pieces are probably not much more than 30 or so inches in diameter, but most of it is smaller than that. Some guy offered to split and stack it for $600. I figure the money would be better spent buying the 22T, then I will have it for future use.

I'm new to the site. I went out to TSC last Sunday and looked at their 22, 28, and 35 ton splitters. I will only use it occasionally, splitting 1-2 cords per year.

Run, don't walk, down there and get it while it's still on sale! :eek:uttahere:I bought the 22T last year and bought a Stihl MS361 saw with the extra money I would have needed for the 35T. It's a great splitter and you'll love it.
Snyde

Some guy offered to split and stack it for $600. I figure the money would be better spent buying the 22T, then I will have it for future use.

That sounds like a no-brainer!

With those bigger rounds, resist the temptation to split them across in one go. There's no law against nibbling pieces off of a big round.

OR, do like a lot of folks do - split the big ones with a chainsaw. Quarter the beast, then use the splitter to finish the job.

Welcome to the site, John! :cheers:

Now leave before you get sucked in!!! :jawdrop:

;)

Thanks for the help and advice. I need it. I resisted the idea of renting, which the local rental store charges about $70 a day. As I explained to my wife, this old back has a lot of years on it now, and it won't stand up to 10 hour days. I can force myself to do it, but I find myself getting tired and putting myself at risk to make stupid errors. So now I'm old enough to realize to put things like chain saws and other power equipment away when I start getting tired, and just go open a beer.:givebeer:

Negitive,toe plates and beams are weak,also problems with the bypass on the filter,control lever problems...Good Speedco and TSC waranty everythig so buy one and beat the crap out of it,when it breaks(wich it will)take it back to TSC(just keep you receipt)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's mine, a 20 ton MTD that I bought for 999.00 four years ago, it has never failed to split what I want. So say what you want about MTD mine has served me well and it even left me with some change in my pocket. So I say save your money on a splitter and by another saw.

picture.php

Guys, I'm new to the forum and found it while researching wood splitters. Not to hijack the thread, but I have been looking at the Huskee 28 ton and 35 ton splitter. I have not seen any comments from people with the 28 ton. The price difference is about $300 dollars, and the 28 comes w/ a Honda engine versus the Briggs for the 35 ton. I am having trouble deciding between the two. I split fairly large hardwoods- rock maples, oak etc. The 22 ton is too small. Any advice/insight would be appreciated.

Speeco help

Dan, it's not how MUCH you are splitting, it's how BIG and WHAT KIND.

If you had asked me a week ago about the Huskee, I'd have given you a very enthusiastic YES!

I have the 35 ton, and I split big wood. That's what I have available - mostly big oak log ends and crotches. Tough stuff. Until yesterday, my Huskee split it all. Last two Saturdays I've been splitting up an old, standing dead oak. Big fella. 64" at the stump.

That thing stopped my Huskee yesterday, and not only stopped it, but bent the toe plate.

I don't think any other machine on the market in this price range would have fared any better, given the toughness of that old, dry oak, but still, I'm not happy with Huskee at the moment.

If you search on Huskee or Speeco and my username, you'll find me making a lot of very positive comments about it. I'm not ready to start making any negative comments, but I'm am in neutral right now. I'll wait to see how TSC/Speeco addresses this problem before I say anything more - positive or negative - about the machine.

Mark, please call us@ 800-525-8322 and let's discuss.

Kevin@speeco ext. 147

Guys, I'm new to the forum and found it while researching wood splitters. Not to hijack the thread, but I have been looking at the Huskee 28 ton and 35 ton splitter. I have not seen any comments from people with the 28 ton. The price difference is about $300 dollars, and the 28 comes w/ a Honda engine versus the Briggs for the 35 ton. I am having trouble deciding between the two. I split fairly large hardwoods- rock maples, oak etc. The 22 ton is too small. Any advice/insight would be appreciated.

I've been told at the two TSC stores near me that they don't sell the 28 ton model that frequenlty, so your store may only focus on stocking the 22 and 35. Part of the reason may be the 18 second cycle time (vs 14 and 15 seconds on the other two models). I just purchased the 35 ton model last month (w/10% off coupon ;)) but haven't had any play time with it yet :(. It had just been put together at the store and has what seems to be solid toe plate with an "H" shape on the outside of the toe. No more hollow plate!

I'll try to post a picture later....

Last edited:
Mark, please call us@ 800-525-8322 and let's discuss.

Kevin@speeco ext. 147

Mark, sorry I didn't realize this was your previous thread form last year. I thought you currently had a beam problem/bent toe.

The only question/concern I had with the 28 was the 11 gpm with the 4.5 inch cylinder. I read several posts which folks felt you should have the 16 gpm pump with that cylinder. But like I said, I read that, since I am new to this I know very little.

Mark, sorry I didn't realize this was your previous thread form last year. I thought you currently had a beam problem/bent toe.

Zombie thread, Kevin. Gotta watch those! :D

I'm a happy fan of Speeco at this point. You guys sure stepped up to the plate and took care of things. Couldn't ask for better customer service. :clap:

Went by the local Blain's Farm & Fleet, which is right next to the TSC store in our town. They had the SpeeCo 25T on sale from 1329 to 1199. Compared to the 22T at TSC on sale for 999. The 25T has the 10.5 vs 6.5 hp B&S engine. 31 qt 4.5 inch hydraulic cylinder versus 17 qt 4 inch one. A 16 gpm pump versus a 11 gpm pump.

The clincher was F&F had a 10% off deal if you sign up for their credit card, so they ended up selling me the 25T for $1079. Didn't matter to me since I had planned to write a check today.

I thought I did OK.:clap: I pick it up tomorrow morning since it has been pouring rain all day today.

Zombie thread, Kevin. Gotta watch those! :D

I'm a happy fan of Speeco at this point. You guys sure stepped up to the plate and took care of things. Couldn't ask for better customer service. :clap:

Amen to that Brother.. I have broke one beam and bent another. Speeco has shipped replacements out quickly without any arguments each time.

Well guys, I did it, I went to TSC and bought a 22 ton splitter, i found a splitter that had an older sale tag of $1049 instead of the current $ 1099 and talked my way to an additional 10% off!!! I think this is a great deal. ( my wife thinks not, even if it was 50 % off ) so any way i even opted to charged card it for one yr.then pay in full...I pulled it home, fueled it up, checked the oil levels and went to town, split a face cord of 18 to 20'' rounds of elm, oak and maple...no problem..the elm was the hardest but still did very good...I am happy and thank you all for your comments, Dan:greenchainsaw: :chainsawguy:

Then hand her the maul!

Last edited:
I have a Huskee 22T and love it. My only complaint is with the Briggs 6.5. Why can't Briggs put a side drain plug on this engine? The only way to get to the bottom drain plug is to go strait up at it and get oil running down your arm when the plug comes out. Other than that, the engine runs great and is super easy to start. I do agree with whom ever said that it seems a little loud.

Latest posts

Back