Huskee Log Splitters on sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll have to go a long way to find a better value for your money. I have one of the "weak" toe plates, and I did bend it on a gnarly oak crotch. BIG sucker. It was from a tree that meausred 54" across at the bottom cut. That's big in anybody's book, I think.

Anyway, Speeco took care of it with no problems, and they've since fixed the issue.

I haven't heard of anybody else bending a beam. I don't know how that's possible. :dizzy:

Maybe they had a bad batch?

You can spend twice the money for an Amerian or I&O, and you won't get a better splitter out of the deal.

OR, you can spend the SAME money, or a bit more, buy an MTD and have a piece of junk!

You'll have to go a long way to find a better value for your money. I have one of the "weak" toe plates, and I did bend it on a gnarly oak crotch. BIG sucker. It was from a tree that meausred 54" across at the bottom cut. That's big in anybody's book, I think.

Anyway, Speeco took care of it with no problems, and they've since fixed the issue.

I haven't heard of anybody else bending a beam. I don't know how that's possible. :dizzy:

Maybe they had a bad batch?

You can spend twice the money for an Amerian or I&O, and you won't get a better splitter out of the deal.

OR, you can spend the SAME money, or a bit more, buy an MTD and have a piece of junk!

:agree2:

What he said!

(another shameless SpeeCo/Huskee endorsement :D)

READ the thread Weird- TSC Husky 27 ton splitter on here!!!
MY main rant is against TSC and how they want there employees to lie to make them $$$$$ while the employee makes minimum wage...
Now for the splitters themselves they DO have problems...
1 weak toe plate welds
2 weak beams they will bend
3 oil filter check valve problems they break and get lodged in the suction hose
4 control valve problems
5 occasional leaky cylinder
Speedco will warranty the parts under most conditions BUT do you really want your splitter down when YOU NEED to split wood???:monkey:

Toe plates have been fixed. Never really had any big problems with the beams bending, only the toe plates that I am aware of. Toe plates are now solid steel 2" thick with extra bracing. The oil filter check valve problem was on a limited number of TSC units built in the summer/fall of 2008. We issued a service bulletin on this.

Kevin@speeco

I have the 22 ton model, now just completing it's 2nd season. the toe plate is not cast on mine, it is solid steel. the welds are solid, no undercutting or surface tacks. No issues at all with the splitter or hydraulics...BUT, this year when I changed the oil (changed at the end of each season, approx 6 hrs use per season) in the Briggs engine, there was a lot of shiny, aluminum particles (non Magnetic).

I know this is an old thread but I've been looking at log splitters and found this thread. And I noticed that the Huskee wasn't liked by some. So I would like to know what log splitters would you guys suggest? Because I don't want to get something that I don't want. Thanks for any help it's appreciated.

My 5 plus year old 22 ton Huskee has been a good buy for me. It has done well over 50 cords and has had no hydraulic related issues, no structural issues, and with minimum engine maintenance, it just splits. I have stopped it a few times on some large crotches and most times a 90° rotation and it will split, if not a little help from the saw and it's done.
I know a couple of guys with the 35 ton units that have a few years on them and they aren't unhappy with them either.
I'm not going to debate which low cost splitter is the best as most people that have MTD splitters seem to like them also.
I can say that based on what I've read on here and other sites, customer service on the Huskee/speeco splitters is outstanding compared to MTD and others, but I've never needed it.
Have fun with your search

kevin,

When was the change made to the footplate and how can I tell if mine is the newer solid steel or older (cast) version? Thanks

I've had the 35 ton model for a year now and it has split every piece of elm and sweet gum I have put in the cradle. No problems with valves, foot plate, beams twisting or engine problems only a weak hose that began weeping and Kevin sent me a replacement. I think I'm better off with this Huskee than not having it at all. I'm well satisfied.

I probably don't split nearly as much wood as some of you fellows but I do split several ricks for myself. I'm a lot better off with my splitter than I was trying to split that tough stuff with a maul and wedges. Besides I'm getting too old to split that elm and sweetgum - now post oak would be OK but I don't have access to it anymore.

Nosmo

Starting the 4th season with my Huskee 22 ton and no problems. It did leak out of the dust wiper on the cylinder sometimes the first year, but it stopped and nothing since. It splits everything I need it to. I would buy one again.

The only thing I want to change on it is the filter is between the tank and the pump. I want to put it on the return, but haven't taken the time to do it because I know it is going to be a PITA.

, there was a lot of shiny, aluminum particles

If they keep showing up in future oil changes, I may get concerned, but being its only the 2nd oil change, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've seen new motorcycle engines that after the first few oil changes, that magnet on the oil plug looked like a porcupine. They went away after break in.

My dad and wife were splitting some small logs with the 27 ton a few weeks ago. I was not feeling good enough to stand in one place to help out otherwise I would have been soaked also.

The return hose came off the fitting at the tank end spraying fluid all over the place and in my wife and Dad's face and hair and on the tractor. A huge mess!

The fitting connector was not tight enough to hold the hose on and my dad could even slide the hose and connector over the fitting without loosening it first. The other fittings are all tight except this one. Why does this hose fitting on the tank have threads instead of a smooth surface for the hose to slide on?

Our splitter is POSSESSED one problem after another each occurs after 1 hour of use.

Double Clamps

Double up the clamps on the hoses using them. This may not prevent a blow off but on the other hand it might keep that hose on the fitting. I doubled mine up and none have worked loose.

Nosmo

Wow, Sounds like they have really cheapened them up since i bought mine, Mine has been bulletproof. Everything on it is a solid steel plate. Now TSC is another story. They are a joke here. Bought a bad boy mower from them and they didn't even have a key or a manual for it. Gave me a key from another mower and promised to send me a manual. Never got it.

I called bad boy and they sent me two keys and a manual in two days. I told em they need to stop letting tsc sell their mowers. Anyway, I won't go back to tsc.

kevin,

When was the change made to the footplate and how can I tell if mine is the newer solid steel or older (cast) version? Thanks

The newer solid steel plates have a large capital letter H on the bottom of the footplate. The older steel plates are simply flat on the bottom. The cast plates have a concave patternon the bottom.

Here's a pic of the "H" toe plate. This one was has a build date in early 2009.

splittertractor3.jpg

My dad and wife were splitting some small logs with the 27 ton a few weeks ago. I was not feeling good enough to stand in one place to help out otherwise I would have been soaked also.

The return hose came off the fitting at the tank end spraying fluid all over the place and in my wife and Dad's face and hair and on the tractor. A huge mess!

The fitting connector was not tight enough to hold the hose on and my dad could even slide the hose and connector over the fitting without loosening it first. The other fittings are all tight except this one. Why does this hose fitting on the tank have threads instead of a smooth surface for the hose to slide on?

Our splitter is POSSESSED one problem after another each occurs after 1 hour of use.

If you would like, I can try to help determine why you are having problems with your splitter. Please call me if you want to here at Speeco

800-525-8322 ask for Kevin in Tech support

Thanks
Kevin@Speeco

Possibly The Wrong Fitting ?

From RCR 3 EVER -----All other hose fittings seem tight except the one which can be slid over the threaded fitting without loosening the clamp.

It sounds like that one fitting is not the right one for the hose size. If the other end of the hose fits snuggly and clamps tight to the opposite end fitting then this end should fit snuggly over its fitting too.

My 35 ton splitter has the large H welded to the bottom of the foot.

Nosmo

If you would like, I can try to help determine why you are having problems with your splitter. Please call me if you want to here at Speeco

800-525-8322 ask for Kevin in Tech support

Thanks
Kevin@Speeco

Thanks for your support and help, We aren't having any problems with Speeco, our problems are with TSC, the warranty group and how the thing was put together at the store.

Latest posts

Back