Huskies ROCK!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the expert, but the RWJ-4 off the 372XT surely would help (19mm+ venturi vs. 17.5).

I'm glad you brought this little tid bit of a fact up. It prompted me to run out and grab the carb off my x torq to measure it. The venturi in my RWJ-4 is 21.5mm. I was running the 19.5mm WJ39 carb on my ported 372, but not anymore. Not to mention the choke valve almost folded over backwards from the air pressure on my WJ39. The RWJ-4 has added support to prevent that from happening.

Looks like Brads guna stay home and bake cookies. You guys are in. Its blowin 25-30 with 40mph gusts and the job has to get cut today. Ugly timber too. See you under the first stump in an hour.

Im not concerned with the weather or anything , thats just a better learning expierence , i was just more interested in seeing what a real worksaw cuts like.

I'm glad you brought this little tid bit of a fact up. It prompted me to run out and grab the carb off my x torq to measure it. The venturi in my RWJ-4 is 21.5mm. I was running the 19.5mm WJ39 carb on my ported 372, but not anymore. Not to mention the choke valve almost folded over backwards from the air pressure on my WJ39. The RWJ-4 has added support to prevent that from happening.

Are you sure that 21.5 actually is the narrowest point of the venturi?

According to Walbro specs it should be just over 19mm....

Im not concerned with the weather or anything , thats just a better learning expierence , i was just more interested in seeing what a real worksaw cuts like.
I bet 95% of the real worksaws around here are stock with a muffler mod at best,they seem to still get the trees down though, weather is bad here today ,several inches of rain with flooding in the forcast with high winds .talked to a cutter yesterday,he said most of the trees are leaning uphill,so he sets up face and back cuts then when he gets to one leaning down hill he does the dominoe thing,he says that never gets old seeing them all fall like that,he has a stock 460 by the way

I bet 95% of the real worksaws around here are stock with a muffler mod at best,they seem to still get the trees down though, weather is bad here today ,several inches of rain with flooding in the forcast with high winds .talked to a cutter yesterday,he said most of the trees are leaning uphill,so he sets up face and back cuts then when he gets to one leaning down hill he does the dominoe thing,he says that never gets old seeing them all fall like that,he has a stock 460 by the way

Hullo , thanks !

I pay way more attention to my chains now , thats my new saw modification kick...and i still suck compared to you chain witches.

Hullo , thanks !

I pay way more attention to my chains now , thats my new saw modification kick...and i still suck compared to you chain witches.
Well the only mods i could visually see was the fading and oxidation on the plastics from riding in the pickup every day ,he did have a square chisel skip chain on the 32 inch bar though ,he said has a grinder at home ,so has a couple takes in the woods if need to swap one out ,but in clean wood ,he gets a couple days out of them normally .The way they end up going dull most of the time from cutting a path through the brush to get to the next tree .

I was interested in the cookies that blsnelling was baking...id rather hang out doing that then cutting down a tree. I like the chocolate chip.

I port my own saws. I make another hundred bucks a day with a ported saw versus stock. I think its dumb not to. Just a simple woods port, gasket drop, and muff mod I've got about 4 hours in from tear down to back together. Measure a little, dremel, steady hand, a little weld on the muff, pretty much it. The 390 likes the muffler WIDE open. Like four times the exhaust port area wide. Enlarge all ports a couple mm on each side. Roof up a touch. Clean any crap. Gasket maker. Done.

I port my own saws. I make another hundred bucks a day with a ported saw versus stock. I think its dumb not to. Just a simple woods port, gasket drop, and muff mod I've got about 4 hours in from tear down to back together. Measure a little, dremel, steady hand, a little weld on the muff, pretty much it. The 390 likes the muffler WIDE open. Like four times the exhaust port area wide. Enlarge all ports a couple mm on each side. Roof up a touch. Clean any crap. Gasket maker. Done.
Very true indeed, had I discovered a ported saw in 81, I would have had 250,000 ft., and a thousand more cords on the ground and could have gone home early.

Very true indeed, had I discovered a ported saw in 81, I would have had 250,000 ft., and a thousand more cords on the ground and could have gone home early.
I haven't worked on a logging crew, but when I was thinning the FS/DNRC (Montana) were all over us about spark arresters and stock mufflers.
Do you guys not get that were your work? Or is it just different based on state land vs private?
Just a MT firedanger thing?

On private ground there aren't really any regs. I don't cut public a lot. I have signed contracts that require spark arrestors. I've never had anyone check. I don't run screens. Its rare here for it ever to be dry enough to cause a problem.

Latest posts

Back