Husky 181SE mystery apperance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn't need to switch carbs. As far as I know, the reason for the different part number is because the 288s used a different throttle linkage setup (plastic lever instead of a metal link rod like the 181) so as long as you're still using a 181 case and handle you should be OK. If you're going to move up to a high-top cover and HD filter, you'll need a different intake manifold as well. Either way do yourself a favor and block the governor circuit (if applicable, all of mine have them) in the carb before trying to tune it, especially if you modify the cylinder or muffler

I'm assuming one is advertising max free RPM and the other the cutting RPM under load? That would sound more in the right neighborhood anyway. I know the cutting RPM of my 181SE is significantly higher than that!

Brad, thanks for your input. I would like to stay with the flat top cover if possible, as I don't like the humpback look of the HD filter version too much.

Will look for the governor setup. I haven't digged into the project yet.

Acres specified 9300 rpm under load for the 288xp, so I suppose the values mentioned for the 181 are under load as well (specified as max., but could be a mistake)

Roland, the 288 kit I fitted to mine was quite a nice kit.
Without base gasket, It's running 185psi.
I had a slight tuning issue so I removed the carb and gave it a clean out and blocked off the governor system Brad speaks of.
Running bluddy worse, so back in tomorrow.
Is the inlet control lever set horizontal in these carbs?

Hi Al,

185 psi looks promising ! I like a nice power house in a small package :):)

Let me know how she rips after you get it running... I'll hold my topend purchase untill then.:cheers:

I widened the ports, angled the upper transfers and opened the lower transfers.
At this stage I haven't altered the timing No's.
Prior to taking the carby apart I ran it in some hardwood and I was quite impressed with it's torquey power.
Just that it felt like it had a slight fuel starvation feeling about it.
Anyway, in the morning I'll look into it.

here's the 181 bunch... not a single locked up. Still have a few boxes to search through that came with them.

attachment.php

the 181se and the 288xp were hell of a fine bunch of saws. several of my fellers ran 181se's . they were powerful and reliable saws. they laid down many a saw log with um.:greenchainsaw:

I hear ya Roland, I am color blind when it comes to saws. I like them all. If it runs and slings chips, that is all that matters

Al, you need to hurry up :) So I can ask lots of questions when I start building mine

Did you widen the intake? Still trying to grasp the concept of porting in there where the bolts go through.

Jealousy over here as well..... I'd love to make a score like that one.

I was a bit fortunate on this one. Lots of parts/cylinders in a few boxes (will need time to sort all out) , 2 x 2100cd parts saws. The bad part was that this dealer had to empty his shop in a hurry for the new owner, and tossed everything on a huge pile in the backyard, along with lawn mowers, boxes, etc. It took me half a day to sort of these parts, and Lord knows what I missed. For someone retired and lots of free time, one could make a small fortune on ebaying all the parts I found. Alas....the good part was the price : a good bottle of whine did the trick.:):)

here's the 181 bunch... not a single locked up. Still have a few boxes to search through that came with them.

Crikey Roland, I thought mine was a good score. :cheers:

Al, you need to hurry up :) So I can ask lots of questions when I start building mine

Did you widen the intake? Still trying to grasp the concept of porting in there where the bolts go through.

Yeah mate, widened the intake back to the block. I didn't find the bolt bosses an issue. To me steps and drop offs can cause turbulence so I keep that in mind when porting these types of setups. Smooth transitions are what you aim for. If the flow is a straight shot and not a swirl, I can't really see an issue. Some quick race saws have been produced from these types of cylinders, so can't be too bad. I should have taken some photo's, but I wasn't in the mood at the time. I only widened at this stage, no No checking, but will soon. I've done half a doz cuts with it and it is strong, just that it felt like it was lacking fuel half way through the cut. I will put a kit through it today if the local has one in stock.

Belgian, I will send you a bigger bottle of wine :D

Thanks Al. You are always willing to take a little time and explain things :cheers:

Lil Pos, a picture for you while the carb is off.
Port match the barrel to the carb block as well.
In this photo it looks like at the back of the boss is blunt but it isn't. It's a smooth transition to the port wall at the cyl.

014.jpg

I was a bit fortunate on this one. Lots of parts/cylinders in a few boxes (will need time to sort all out) , 2 x 2100cd parts saws. The bad part was that this dealer had to empty his shop in a hurry for the new owner, and tossed everything on a huge pile in the backyard, along with lawn mowers, boxes, etc. It took me half a day to sort of these parts, and Lord knows what I missed. For someone retired and lots of free time, one could make a small fortune on ebaying all the parts I found. Alas....the good part was the price : a good bottle of whine did the trick.:):)

I'd say its definately worth the time spent and a bottle of whine to come up with all that. If you didn't live so dern far away I might have to talk you outa some of that. Very nice.

Looks good.... I think the High tops add alot of character to these saws. Maybe not quite as much as the tin cover you had on it before though....

Latest posts

Back