Husky 181SE mystery apperance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good.... I think the High tops add alot of character to these saws. Maybe not quite as much as the tin cover you had on it before though....

I like the high tops.
I wasn't too fussed what I got really as long as I found something.
He had a few oldies out back, but wasn't going let up too much about them.
I think he see's money in them still.
At $35 for a second handy I can see his point.

I like the high tops.
I wasn't too fussed what I got really as long as I found something.
He had a few oldies out back, but wasn't going let up too much about them.
I think he see's money in them still.
At $35 for a second handy I can see his point.

There's still money in them apparently. I'm buying parts for a couple that I'm building.. Used parts are fine with me but nobody wants to let them go very cheap for these saws. Ebay is especially a killer for this.

No vids yet!! That's not your style AL. That makes me miss my high top
288, wish I had it back.

Not until I get that thing running right.
Got a hint of a miss goin on. Going to pick up some of those small female spade terminals and make some new wires. Throw in a new plug. I just put a new carb kit through it, so I'll see how that goes.

I have taken a couple of vids but nothing worth viewing.

There's still money in them apparently. I'm buying parts for a couple that I'm building.. Used parts are fine with me but nobody wants to let them go very cheap for these saws. Ebay is especially a killer for this.

My other saws I generally look after them, but this one can roll around in the back of the ute, so wasn't really looking for new.

People are still holding on to their old saws. I was out back of the shop and there was alot of 2 series saws sitting there for work.

hey Aussie1, How do you like the quality of that aftermarket chain brake cover for the 181? I am looking for a brake for mine, and wondering if I should buy the reporduction or keep looking for an original. Thanks Fred

My other saws I generally look after them, but this one can roll around in the back of the ute, so wasn't really looking for new.

People are still holding on to their old saws. I was out back of the shop and there was alot of 2 series saws sitting there for work.

The 2 series saws are still working well for me. I don't see myself looking to upgrade from my 288's for a long time to come. They're such great saws I just havent found a need or a want to replace them yet. :greenchainsaw:

The 2 series saws are still working well for me. I don't see myself looking to upgrade from my 288's for a long time to come. They're such great saws I just havent found a need or a want to replace them yet. :greenchainsaw:

Yep, as Al said they still have a strong following here.

Al, I believe they run mainly 2 Series saws over at Ellerston still, so one of the top farm maintenance fella's was telling me about eighteen months ago.
He loved his "Husk-a-varna's" with the fuel "mixed at 25:1, no way you'll get me running that new BS 50:1 ! " :greenchainsaw:

Most all the Aussies will know who I'm talking about, particularly if I mentioned the word 'Polo' :monkey:

Not until I get that thing running right.
Got a hint of a miss goin on. Going to pick up some of those small female spade terminals and make some new wires. Throw in a new plug. I just put a new carb kit through it, so I'll see how that goes.

I have taken a couple of vids but nothing worth viewing.

Ya, I hear ya, I've taken my fair share of vids not worth viewing.

What kind of miss? Did ya mess with ignition timing at all?

Yep, as Al said they still have a strong following here.

Al, I believe they run mainly 2 Series saws over at Ellerston still, so one of the top farm maintenance fella's was telling me about eighteen months ago.
He loved his "Husk-a-varna's" with the fuel "mixed at 25:1, no way you'll get me running that new BS 50:1 ! " :greenchainsaw:

Most all the Aussies will know who I'm talking about, particularly if I mentioned the word 'Polo' :monkey:

Yeah it was quite interesting seeing an indication of so many 2 series still in use.
Now how many sales lost by manufacturers building there saws too good?
25:1 aye? Now what was I doing way back then?

Ya, I hear ya, I've taken my fair share of vids not worth viewing.

What kind of miss? Did ya mess with ignition timing at all?

Whether it's a miss or a light popping, not sure just yet. Only appeared after the carb kit. The plug was the wrong heat range so there is a start. The wiring is a little ####y so that needs some serious attention.
Process of elimination I guess.

Whether it's a miss or a light popping, not sure just yet. Only appeared after the carb kit. The plug was the wrong heat range so there is a start. The wiring is a little ####y so that needs some serious attention.
Process of elimination I guess.

Ya, I'm sure it'll all come together.

Not 100% satisfied with it's state of tune just yet, but never the less I was pretty happy with the way it handled this Yellow Box. It's one one of our toughest hardwoods. It was near the fork of the tree. The starter gets the droops every so often. I know how it feels.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LyRhluPhJhI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LyRhluPhJhI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Never heard the term Simex but Aussies tend to call Utility vehicles "Ute's"

Al did answer it way back on page 2 ;)

Simex are a Malaysian brand of tyres and they make excellent mud/off road tyres which first came to prominence in the Outback Challenge here in Oz and the Rainforest Challenge of Malaysia.
Jungle Trekkers, JTII's, Centipedes and Extreme Trekkers are the most famous.
They are crap on road but brilliant off.

As demo said, ute is short for Utility which is what we call pick-ups.

Who built the first utility - where - when...
by Gary Warner
The story of the utility truck or coupé utility– the ute – began in 1932, when a letter was received by Ford Australia’s plant at Geelong, Victoria. It was written by a farmer’s wife who’d had enough of riding to church in the farm truck and arriving in saturated clothing;

‘Why don’t you build people like us a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday, and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays?’ her letter asked.

Bank managers at the time would lend money to farmers to buy a farm truck, but not a passenger car, hence the plea from one very fed up woman!

It arrived on the desk of managing director Hubert French who, instead of dictating a polite dismissal, passed the letter on to sales manager Scott Inglis.

1934_ute_brochure.jpg

He in turn showed it to plant superintendent Slim Westman, and the two of them took it to Ford Australia’s design department, which in 1932 consisted of one man…

Lewis Thornet Bandt was 22 years old and had already been singled out for bigger things with Ford.

Interviewed shortly before his death in 1987, Bandt recalled the moment when Westman and Inglis came to him with the letter.

The whole thing had already started to germinate," said Bandt.

"Westman quite rightly reckoned that if we cut down a car and put a tray on the back, the whole thing would tear in half once there was weight in the back.

"I told him I would design it with a frame that came from the very back pillar, through to the central pillars, near the doors. I would arrange for another pillar to further strengthen that weak point where the cabin and tray joined. I said to Westman `Boss, them pigs are going to have a luxury ride around the city of Geelong!’ "

Bandt began by sketching the coupé utility on a 10 metre blackboard, depicting a front view as well as side and rear elevations. When they were seen by Westman some weeks later, he told Bandt to build two prototypes.

1934 ute restored.jpg (29293 bytes)On a wheelbase of 112 inches, with a rear tray that was 5ft 5ins long and had a payload of 1200 pounds, they were the first vehicles to also offer a comfortable all-weather cabin.

On first sight of the prototypes, Scott Inglis authorised a startup production run of 500 vehicles. Westman asked for – and got - £10,000 for tooling, and the first coupé utilities rolled off the Geelong assembly line in 1934.

Born out of a woman’s frustration with car designs of the day, the enclosed cab utility was initially regarded as a luxury. But the `ute’ was quickly accepted as a necessity of bush life, and won recognition around the world as the ideal farmer’s or tradesman’s vehicle.

Sorry for the hijack Al. :D

Latest posts

Back