Husky 22 ton splitter can you make it quicker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
If it's under warranty take it back and let them deal with it!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy

I'm going to, I was just afraid they would have it for 3-4 weeks for repair! I can't deal with that! I was looking for a quick fix to get things rolling again, but it does seem the better deal would be to take it back under warranty.

Rspike said:
I would think if one was want to split that much wood per year you would go with a pro splitter with a Honda engine . I myself dont think these splitters under $1200. were made to split over 40+ cords a year .( more like 4-8 ) Its just like Pro chainsaws and homeowner chainsaws or anything else pro vs homeowner . I think you need to get the right tool for the job in the first place to keep up with what you are doing . I would say the average "homeowner" is going to only need to split 6 or so cords a year . So with what you have done already thats 10 years of splitting life to the average homeowner . Spend the extra $$ , dont be cheap and buy the right tool for the job you are needing it for. Problem solved .

You gave kind of a pecker-head response, wouldn't you say Rspike?
I think he needs someone who can help him fix his splitter, not a recycled theoretical preach.

DanMan1 said:
I think he needs someone who can help him fix his splitter, not a recycled theoretical preach.
:hmm3grin2orange:
LOL.....LOL..again...LOL...yet again....:popcorn: LOL...damn that was funny!
Danman1:cheers: I thank you for that follow up, I was going to say something like that but figured better not, I'll stick to the topic. Thanks

DanMan1 said:
Who the hell are you ? Are you head of the pecker-head group ? Are you in charge of what responces are given to questions to the threads ? Go away punk ..... I didnt ask for your pee-wee reply to my statment.

slipknot said:
:hmm3grin2orange:
LOL.....LOL..again...LOL...yet again....:popcorn: LOL...damn that was funny!
Danman1:cheers: I thank you for that follow up, I was going to say something like that but figured better not, I'll stick to the topic. Thanks
Nice , real nice . You ask on a public forum questions to your issue and come back with the above responce . See what i get for getting involved in your problems . :bang: Kids .........

slipnot said:
I'm going to, I was just afraid they would have it for 3-4 weeks for repair! I can't deal with that!

however you CAN deal with not buying the proper tool for the job......

granted, professionals can't have downtime, but you DID buy a homeowner tool...

just sayin'.........

i'd hafta say Rspike's response was neither "pecker-head" or far off base.......

Rspike said:
Nice , real nice . You ask on a public forum questions to your issue and come back with the above responce . See what i get for getting involved in your problems . :bang: Kids .........

Dude, shut the phuck up man! Are you drunk or something? You more less chewed me out for buying a so called homeowner splitter! What did you contribute to this thread other than that? I know what the splitter was intended to do, split wood! I bought it for a season or two of firewood sales, I did not intend it to last a decade just get past the warranty period anything after that is luck I guess. I wasn't being cheap as you called it, its just some people don't have 6-7 grand laying around for a socalled comercial splitter! The amount of wood I have to split just wouldn't justify it, Whats the point of splitting and selling wood to pay for a splitter and not turn any profit?? What I have isn't even going to exceed 80 cord! So whats the point of investing in a commercial splitter for that small amount of wood? I am not worried about WHY it is failing just how to fix the problem! Which i already figured out...see check this out.. I will take it back and get a brand spanky new one, finish what I got to split and then sell it for around $600. I will end up splitting around 75 cord for less then $450!!!! Ya see this KID as you called me has a business head on his shoulders! A mere $450 investment turned into roughly $10,500 by 75 cord @ $140 cord ooouch thats gotta burn!
The funny thing is I really enjoy cutting and splitting wood so my labor I don't consider an investment! Are ya following me there buddy? So calm down and quit bichin'@people..all right? Pop your xanax and go sit in the corner!

P.S. thank you everyone that actually did offer their help! Thats what makes A-site so damn cool! It's kinda communistic though if ya think about it...All the smart people share their knowledge with the less smart people and we have a bunch of fairly smart people walkin' around everywhere..that is priceless. By the way i am not a communist just using it to make a point.

Last edited:
slipknot said:
Dude, shut the phuck up man! Are you drunk or something? You more less chewed me out for buying a so called homeowner splitter! What did you contribute to this thread other than that? I know what the splitter was intended to do, split wood! I bought it for a season or two of firewood sales, I did not intend it to last a decade just get past the warranty period anything after that is luck I guess. I wasn't being cheap as you called it, its just some people don't have 6-7 grand laying around for a socalled comercial splitter! The amount of wood I have to split just wouldn't justify it, Whats the point of splitting and selling wood to pay for a splitter and not turn any profit?? What I have isn't even going to exceed 80 cord! So whats the point of investing in a commercial splitter for that small amount of wood? I am not worried about WHY it is failing just how to fix the problem! Which i already figured out...see check this out.. I will take it back and get a brand spanky new one, finish what I got to split and then sell it for around $600. I will end up splitting around 75 cord for less then $450!!!! Ya see this KID as you called me has a business head on his shoulders! A mere $450 investment turned into roughly $10,500 by 75 cord @ $140 cord ooouch thats gotta burn!
The funny thing is I really enjoy cutting and splitting wood so my labor I don't consider an investment! Are ya following me there buddy? So calm down and quit bichin'@people..all right? Pop your xanax and go sit in the corner!

P.S. thank you everyone that actually did offer their help! Thats what makes A-site so damn cool! It's kinda communistic though if ya think about it...All the smart people share their knowledge with the less smart people and we have a bunch of fairly smart people walkin' around everywhere..that is priceless. By the way i am not a communist just using it to make a point.
..........................YAWN............................

Homeowners tool - this is interesting. I bought a 22 ton husky from tsc about 14 years ago - 8 hp briggs and stratton with a 16/4 gallon pump, horizontal/vertical split and 7 gallon hydraulic oil tank. I run it hard year round and cut between 250 - 350 cords per year. When i say i run it hard i mean on the days i am splitting it starts around 7:eek:o am and shuts down around 6:00 pm with just lost time for refueling and lunch. In all this time i have only replaced the valve (mainly because i bought one that was much easier to pull and i installed it backwards so you can push on the lever instead of pulling and this makes it alot easier on your wrist and hand if you are splitting all day. I change the hy. oil every spring and have an over sized filter on it. The b&s engine is starting to burn a little oil but still starts oin the first pull. I added a table with 2x2 square tubing to make things easier. I have just finished putting a new 9 hp honda and 16/4 pump on and painted it john deer green to look nicer. Again I have to say that nothing was wore out i just am fussy about my equipment looking good. If i knew how to put a picture on i would show you the before and after pics. My point is that this is not a small homeowners machine. My friends who have large pro machines are splittiing the same amount as i am and guess who's coming out ahead $$$? I was going to put a 11 hp honda on it with a 24 gal pump but i have an 11.5 sec (with a 4.5 inch piston) cycle time already and thats fast enough for me. In my opinion if i needed a new splitter today i'd buy another just like it but i think the design of the new ones is different than mine.

I am just kinda wondering something here??? What make the tsc a homeowner splitter? the engine? IMO a splitter is a splitter what differs it from a pro or homeowner? There are only 4 things that could make it a HO version..the C.valve, the pump, the cylinder,and the engine!

Last edited:
What makes a slpitter a pro splitter:
1. Construction - size of i beam, bracing, etc.
2. Splitting height - should be waist height
3. Size of piston - 4.5 or larger
4. Good quality valve.
5. Large hy. resevoir - 5 gallons plus
6. Honda motor 9 hp
7. Pump - 16/4 gal/min
8. Oil filter
9. Must be comfortable to work with.
10. Table for working blocks on.

Guess what ? My tsc is a pro splitter !!!! HAHA Some people are not happy unless they pay big bucks for a pro tool - many times its just a sticker that raises the price. Now Wallenstein on the other hand is a cheap made splitter - black honda engines, low height, small oil tanks, etc.

glenn12 said:
Homeowners tool - this is interesting. I bought a 22 ton husky from tsc about 14 years ago - 8 hp briggs and stratton with a 16/4 gallon pump, horizontal/vertical split and 7 gallon hydraulic oil tank. I run it hard year round and cut between 250 - 350 cords per year. .
So you are saying you have over 4200 cords of wood split on your splitter ? ( 300per year x 14 years ) All i can say to that is "WOW" I have talked to many people that are in the firewood biz and have used the 20 -25 ton farm store / box store splitters with the basic equipment installed and was told they get 2 years at best ,then have gone with pro splitters ( better /best engines & installed equipment ) and have had 10 + years on them .

Last edited:
glenn12 said:
What makes a slpitter a pro splitter:
1. Construction - size of i beam, bracing, etc.
2. Splitting height - should be waist height
3. Size of piston - 4.5 or larger
4. Good quality valve.
5. Large hy. resevoir - 5 gallons plus
6. Honda motor 9 hp
7. Pump - 16/4 gal/min
8. Oil filter
9. Must be comfortable to work with.
10. Table for working blocks on.

Guess what ? My tsc is a pro splitter !!!! HAHA Some people are not happy unless they pay big bucks for a pro tool - many times its just a sticker that raises the price. Now Wallenstein on the other hand is a cheap made splitter - black honda engines, low height, small oil tanks, etc.
Agreeable. "Most" homeowner splitters have the "basic" bottom of the line up engine . That goes as for pumps , valves , smaller resevoirs and Construction. These are the signs to look from from a "Homeowner" splitter vs a "pro" splitter .

Smokindodgew101 said:
Well, that went down hill rather fast. Did you get a replacement splitter yet?

Lol..and sap isn't here anymore, we gots a replacment! Nah i got like 2 1/2 months left in the warranty period..figured i'd ring the last bit of life out of it!
That way when I get my new one I'll have less hours on it when i go to sell it.
I know thats dirty and all to TSC but tsc pissed me off! I bought a pair of carhart boots and the bottoms started coming unglued after 2 weeks!They don't give refunds they give store credit! I say I don't want your store credit...I want my money back so i can buy a GOOD pair of boots. So they entraped me into buying something else. Cause they didn't have my size in any other boot! TSC sucks sometimes. So i ended up with another chainsaw..damn it I need another chainsaw like I need a hole in my head!
I guess devirginizing a brand new husky 350 aint so bad except it made me spend more money! Arrrrgggggg! I know thats more than you wanted to know, Just thought I'd explain why I would be such a **** to TSC + the head mgr is my neighbor and he is ******** x3!

slipknot said:
Lol..and sap isn't here anymore, we gots a replacment! Nah i got like 2 1/2 months left in the warranty period..figured i'd ring the last bit of life out of it!
That way when I get my new one I'll have less hours on it when i go to sell it.
I know thats dirty and all to TSC but tsc pissed me off! I bought a pair of carhart boots and the bottoms started coming unglued after 2 weeks!They don't give refunds they give store credit! I say I don't want your store credit...I want my money back so i can buy a GOOD pair of boots. So they entraped me into buying something else. Cause they didn't have my size in any other boot! TSC sucks sometimes. So i ended up with another chainsaw..damn it I need another chainsaw like I need a hole in my head!
I guess devirginizing a brand new husky 350 aint so bad except it made me spend more money! Arrrrgggggg! I know thats more than you wanted to know, Just thought I'd explain why I would be such a **** to TSC + the head mgr is my neighbor and he is ******** x3!

Holy Crap, it's really been a Monday! First rounds on me :cheers:

Just one more thing to mention here. My 14 year old splitter is probably not comparable to the new tsc machines as mine came with pro features, bigger engine, faster pump, larger oil reserve etc. I think the store brands started making cheaper machines about 8 years ago or so.Northern tool has some decent machines with honda gx engines at pretty good prices.

Latest posts

Back