Husky 261- spark plug or carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrapiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 261 has gotten more difficult to start (requires 9-12 pulls). I decided to replace the spark plug before doing anything else. I popped in a new Champion and it fired up on the first pull! Yes!!!

I stop the saw, do some other chores, come back about an hour later and I can't get it to start at all. I even put back the old plug. Nada. I did notice oil/gas on the plug(s) and did wipe it off. I'm also noticing oil/gas by the decompression valve.

I've done some searches and it may be carb related, but I'm looking for the collective wisdom here before I start ripping things apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance-
Scrap

Husky 261

I worked on a friends 261. It would fire and die. When I examined the spark plug it would be wet. Dry it of fire and die. So I swapped carbs with my 262. same thing. However, my 262 ran fine with the 261 carb. I should have checked the fuel line first. It was cracked. The wet plug led me in the wrong direction. Your problem may be as simple.

Hmmm... not sure what you mean by "pull it over with the plug hooked up resting on the cylinder".

I'm not that familiar with engines (2 stroke or otherwise). I understand what you're saying, just not sure "how" to do it.

Thanks-

Latest posts

Back