Husky 261 with baileys 261/262 P&C kit,any gains ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunchbox

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is what i have.

Cylinder Assembly for Husqvarna 261, 262 (48mm)
•Husqvarna 261 & 262
•Replaces Part Number 503 90 79 71

from baileys.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CK+262&catID=383

I looked on Acres and found info on the 262XP but none on just 262.
cant find anything on the 261 :(
so without a baseline i cant guess what if any gains will be had by using this P&C.
so if anybody could give me the base specs on the 261 so i can compare i will thank you.
if anybody has an idea of the gains that may be had and any experiance doing this i will also be thankfull.
I am considering doing some mild port work,nothing extreme in hopes of squeezing a little more out of it without going overboard :)
as always any suggestions or insight MORE than welcome.
LB.

This is what i have.

Cylinder Assembly for Husqvarna 261, 262 (48mm)
•Husqvarna 261 & 262
•Replaces Part Number 503 90 79 71

from baileys.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CK+262&catID=383

I looked on Acres and found info on the 262XP but none on just 262.
cant find anything on the 261 :(
so without a baseline i cant guess what if any gains will be had by using this P&C.
so if anybody could give me the base specs on the 261 so i can compare i will thank you.
if anybody has an idea of the gains that may be had and any experiance doing this i will also be thankfull.
I am considering doing some mild port work,nothing extreme in hopes of squeezing a little more out of it without going overboard :)
as always any suggestions or insight MORE than welcome.
LB.

A 262 is a 261 with a different piston.

i think the piston is the part that makes up the power difference. the 262 piston is flat and the 261 piston is dished. the 262 also has a 3 shoe clutch and the 261's clutch is a 2 shoe.

i think the piston is the part that makes up the power difference. the 262 piston is flat and the 261 piston is dished. the 262 also has a 3 shoe clutch and the 261's clutch is a 2 shoe.

There is a difference in the mufflers also that you guys are forgetting. The 261 muffler is much more restrictive then the 262 muffler.

The muffler makes probably near as much difference as the piston!

I have had that Baileys 262 P/C on my saw for sometime now and all has been good with it. Ports were a little rough and I just cleaned them up a little.

I also put the 3 shoe clutch on mine but several have reported running the 261 clutch without any problems.

The differences between the 261 and 262XP are as everyone has said. The aftermarket kit looks to have the windowed flat top piston so you would essentially end with the 262 powerhead. The OEM 262XP cyl is a very open cyl. The porting is quite close to max stock. It has very large transfers and wide ports. You can gain a little in width but the edge of the stock ports is quite close to the edges of the piston skirts so if you do decide to do some port work, be aware of this and be very careful. That said perhaps there is more to work with on the aftermarket ones. The stock ones are truly a factory hotrod. Guess that's why they were so popular. Good luck:cheers:

so where are all of the great gains found in this saw? setting the squish is a given as well as a MM. i have seen what clayshooter's can do. i have two runners now, so i am interested in seeing what i can do with one of them.

Last edited:
so where are all of the great gains found in this saw? setting the squish is a given as well as a MM. i have seen what clayshooter's can do. i have two runners now, so i am interested in seeing what i can do with one of them.

There are certainly gains to be had. Setting the squish, opening up the 261 muffler, port matching isolation block and widening and smoothing the transfers, intake and exhaust etc. I was just cautioning lunchbox that at least on the stock cyl you can't go willie-nillie with the widening of the exhaust port as there is not much room before you end up with a freeport situation. I am no expert porter or anything but of the saws I've done the 262XP is the closest thing I've seen to "factory ported". I am in the middle of rebuilding/porting a 262XP for an old pulp/firewood friend. He loved these saws and wore four of them completely out as well as a couple of 257s (and he takes real good care of his equipment!!)
When completed I'll post the before/steps of build/ and after pics.:cheers:

There are certainly gains to be had. Setting the squish, opening up the 261 muffler, port matching isolation block and widening and smoothing the transfers, intake and exhaust etc. I was just cautioning lunchbox that at least on the stock cyl you can't go willie-nillie with the widening of the exhaust port as there is not much room before you end up with a freeport situation. I am no expert porter or anything but of the saws I've done the 262XP is the closest thing I've seen to "factory ported". I am in the middle of rebuilding/porting a 262XP for an old pulp/firewood friend. He loved these saws and wore four of them completely out as well as a couple of 257s (and he takes real good care of his equipment!!)

Any idea when your starting this build ?
is one i would like to follow.
LB

Any idea when your starting this build ?
is one i would like to follow.
LB

I've already started it. Selected the best case/crankshaft and cleaned it inside and out installed new crank seals. Last weekend I picked up a new benchtop beadblaster but haven't had time to get it set up yet. Need to blast the cyl before starting the port work. I only work on it when I feel like it, it's a no-rush job. But for the the first time I am taking lots of pics from start to finish and will be posting them when the saw is complete and running.:cheers:

Could you say what amount of clearance are you allowing between the edge of the ports and piston skirt ?
LB

a 261 was 3.9hp with a different clutch and something else different (middle agers disease!!!), and all 262's are XP's.

Not trying to dissagree my spec sheet shows 261 at

3.8 ci
62 cc
4.2 hp
13 lbs.
13,000 max rpm

And 262xp at

3.8 ci
62 cc
4.8 hp
12 lbs.
13,500 max rpm