Husky 268xp with 182 PSI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWJ

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can this be correct, 182 PSI, on a 22 year old motor? This was my procedure, hooked up the gauge, held the throttle WO, and pulled until the gauge stoped going up, maybe 6 pulls. I look at the gauge, and to my supprise it read 182 PSI.

FYI, I just bought this saw last week off of a guy who said, it only has 20 hrs. on it. Inside I laughed, but it looks like he was right. I was thinking about going through everything to make sure all is ok, but maybe not.....

Either it has a lot of carbon built up in it or more likely your gauge isn't accurate. Try another compression tester on it.
Anyway at least the compression is good.

I have a 268XP in storage. I'll see about checking on the compression maybe this weekend. It has much more than 20hrs on it, but not any more than 3 years or so before I mothballed it.

Either it has a lot of carbon built up in it or more likely your gauge isn't accurate. Try another compression tester on it.
Anyway at least the compression is good.

Maybe, I should take off the muffle, and check the top of the piston. I'm assuming the exhaust gasket isn't reusable?

Well 182 psi isn't a real bad thing,but IF it has excess carbon it should be de-carboned because too much can cause piston damage. Yes,go ahead and look in the exhaust port and shine your flashlight in the spark plug hole too for another viewing angle. You can usually get away with re-using the ex. gasket,but they are cheap.
If the carbon buildup looks minimal leave well enough alone. I would try another gauge though,just so you can decide if yours is accurate.

Well 182 psi isn't a real bad thing,but IF it has excess carbon it should be de-carboned because too much can cause piston damage. Yes,go ahead and look in the exhaust port and shine your flashlight in the spark plug hole too for another viewing angle. You can usually get away with re-using the ex. gasket,but they are cheap.
If the carbon buildup looks minimal leave well enough alone. I would try another gauge though,just so you can decide if yours is accurate.

Just took off the muffle, and there was no scoring what so ever, and no carbon at all on the top or side piston. The side of the piston was clean as a whistle. It didn't look like there was a gasket between the cylinder, and muffle???

Sounds like you got a great saw from someone who mixed there oil and fuel correctly! I would leave it be....and go bury it in some wood, with chips flying and saw tached out:):D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That number doesn't surprise me. I haven't had a gauge on mine in a while, but it is one saw in my line-up that really needs a compression release. It's got about a zillion hours on it, P/C is perfect shape looking in thru the exhaust port. Next time I've got it down for service I'll do a compression check and post the results......Cliff

180psi is possible. Also Gauges vary sort of a plus or minus 10psi type of thing. My gauge shows a little over 170psi for my 268 with no base gasket & a little grinding on the holes inside. I would have guess 150 for mine but I think my gauge reeds a little high. I use it more as a "relative" measurement than an absolute measurement. (Relative to start points on a job, or other saws using the same gauge) I do know on my gauge if its less than 80..it doesn't run! If its more than 120 it runs well enough to cut. Actually anywhere under 110 means the saw is a project.

Sounds like you got a great saw from someone who mixed there oil and fuel correctly! I would leave it be....and go bury it in some wood, with chips flying and saw tached out:):D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

:msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back