Husky 288xp clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwdog75

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went to the local saw shop and got a new bar and chain for my husky 288xp only to realize that i need to buy a new clutch too. What do you recommend?

On the bar it says this:

Oregon Power Match plus
3/8

Does any of this make sense or help? I would buy from the saw shop again but the person who owns it is gone on vacation and the replacement help is not helpful. Thanks

I went to the local saw shop and got a new bar and chain for my husky 288xp only to realize that i need to buy a new clutch too. What do you recommend?

On the bar it says this:

Oregon Power Match plus
3/8

Does any of this make sense or help? I would buy from the saw shop again but the person who owns it is gone on vacation and the replacement help is not helpful. Thanks

Do you need an entire clutch or just the spur sprocket that drives the chain? Otherwise, the number on the bar does not matter(unless you have a spur sprocket). You need a chain with 92 drivers that is 3/8 pitch and .058 gauge. I don't know what 1.5 means, sorry.

I need the rim and drum but when i got to order on baileysonline it allows you to "personalize" it, and then it says:

RIM SZ 375-7, 375-8

404-7, 404-8

I guess I'd like to know what to order out of those options. Thanks

1.5 is the metric gauge measurement - 1.5mm, for us european types.

I'm surprised the 288 doesn't already have a rim sprocket. If it doesn't there's nothing to be gained from buying another spur sprocket, just pick up a rim sprocket and a new clutch bell and enjoy the new, smooth action.

Manufacturers recommend replacing the rim or spur sprocket every two or three chains, some folks do this, some don't, but for the sake of a new sprocket which you probably need anyway it seems silly not to go for a new one if it helps your chain last longer.

What's wrong with the drum? Usually you'd just replace the rim, drums go on forever.

It's just rusty, i like shiny new things. What rim size do i buy out of the choices i posted before? Will i need the 375-7, 375-8? What's the difference between running a 7 tooth or an 8 tooth?

Last edited:
fair enough :)

Count the pegs on the old one, if it cut ok on that then stick with it. Short bar work on smaller wood, you could go up a peg with out too much difficulty as the 288 is a big old saw, if so you'll pick up a lot of speed.

Or buy one of each and see how it goes, they aren't expensive, and finding out about how things work is good fun :)

you might as well buy one of each like said above if your running a short bar like a 20 inch on a 288 the 8 will cut faster if the saw has the torque to pull it and a 288 with good compression should. If youre going to be running a longer bar then stick with a 7 tooth.

Latest posts

Back