Husky 298xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towingace

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I horse traded a Husky 298xp from my BIL today. He got it from his late FIL two or three years ago and I don't think he's ever used it. He put fresh mix in it and said it started on the third pull. I just started it a little while ago, it popped on the second and started on the third pull. It's oiling good and sounds real good. It has a 28" (from the clutch cover) Oregon Power Match 3/8 b/c. Saw looks to have seen little use. I'm not familiar with this beast but I like what I see. Are they an "oldie but goodie"? I wish I new how to post pics on here so you could see how clean this saw is.

They are quite rare as they were only made for 2 years and were intended for the east coast market. I see your avatar says you're from Long beach WA, that makes me wonder how your 298 ended up there.
Show us some pics! You could email them to me and I could post them for you. Let me know and I could pm you with my email addy...

They are quite rare as they were only made for 2 years and were intended for the east coast market. I see your avatar says you're from Long beach WA, that makes me wonder how your 298 ended up there.
Show us some pics! You could email them to me and I could post them for you. Let me know and I could pm you with my email addy...

Thanks for offering your assistance. I'll try to post pics tomorrow when Wifey can assist me. What would make it a east coaster vs. a west coaster?

The 298xp was meant to be a "lightweight" version of the 2100/2101xp, and was meant to use shorter bars, so it didn't have the manual oiler. It also had a lighter and smaller starter, that often was changed out for a 2100/2101 one on warrenty, as they tended to fail.

The 298 is a good saw to find but a SOG to start with the small pulley That SOG will rip the handgrip out of your hand

They broke as well, and that combination likely is the reason so many were changed to the the 2100 starter on warrenty.

They broke as well, and that combination likely is the reason so many were changed to the the 2100 starter on warrenty.
I drop started it yesterday, definitely have to be ready for it. I don't know how much I'll actually use it, don't want to hurt my 046's feelings too bad.

Back