Husky 346XP/350 wont run, flooded? Similar symptoms - is it just me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemXP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the carbs on a Husky 346XP and a 350, and they both seem to be having similar problems:

The 350 will start if i choke it, pull 4 or 5 times, then unchoke and give it one good pull...but it runs a few seconds and dies every time, no matter what i do with the throttle. Then i can't start it again unless i pull the plug and let it air out. (It smells of gas)

The 346XP wont really start, but it will make sort of a half-start sound while im pulling the cord, but the muffler puffs out white smoke. The muffler also smells of gas after this.

I dont know the full history of the saws, but the piston/jug and every other major part seems fine. I replaced fuel lines, fuel and air filters, impulse hoses, and replaced carb gaskets and diaphragms (in the correct order, im sure) and the spring and metering valve (the torpedo looking thing on the lever), and reset the screws to factory settings. The 350 has idiot tabs on its screws, the 346XP i replaced the screws, so they dont, but i turned them the appropriate amount. Both carbs are Walbros.

Please help, i cant think of what the problem might be!!!

For the "could be" list from an amateur;

- Flooding - try to take the choke off after 3 pull, regardless if they pop or not.

- Lean on the L side.

If they have Walbro carbs, they are early (pre 2003?) ones - or the carbs are changed out - check if they are the right ones.

Lean, huh? would a lean adjustment flood the engine? any idea what may cause the smoking muffler?
ill give it a try right now, thanks troll!

and the 346 might have a zama, i have to double check

Back