Husky 346xp bar nuts jumping off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemXP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 3 Husqvarna 346xps at my job, 2 are 2008s (silver clutch cover), and 1 from 2001.

They all seem to be very good at rattling the bar nuts off, far more frequently than I've ever seen on any other saw. The older one likes to loosen up and spit out the chain brake bolt on the flywheel side, too.

Anybody ever have this issue with these saws? Any suggestions, besides torque the nuts real tight? I've heard bar nuts should be finger tight, but I usually give it a good twist with a scrench...but to keep these on I feel like we're tightening them too much.

FYI - I'm running 16" bars and 3/8 .058 chain, 7 tooth sprocket

Thanks!
:cheers:

Hi,

I have 3 Husqvarna 346xps at my job, 2 are 2008s (silver clutch cover), and 1 from 2001.

They all seem to be very good at rattling the bar nuts off, far more frequently than I've ever seen on any other saw. The older one likes to loosen up and spit out the chain brake bolt on the flywheel side, too.

Anybody ever have this issue with these saws? Any suggestions, besides torque the nuts real tight? I've heard bar nuts should be finger tight, but I usually give it a good twist with a scrench...but to keep these on I feel like we're tightening them too much.

FYI - I'm running 16" bars and 3/8 .058 chain, 7 tooth sprocket

Thanks!
:cheers:

Finger tight? That's a new one and a somewhat scary one - I'd sure hate to have anything that spins at about 13K RPM come loose.

Try giving them 2 twists or even a bit more - it sounds like you are not tightening the bar nuts enough.

The tension adjuster is only there to adjust the tension.. Then the bar nuts take over from there.. Leave them to loose on a large saw and it will rip off the adjuster possibly.

Well, like I said, I do tighten them more than finger tight, I use the scrench and crank em down, but they still come off, and it never happens on my 257 or my 55 or my 028 super...just the 346xp(s). And one of them spits out a chain brake bolt about once a week, and its not missing a washer.

Anyone with a 346xp have this problem?

Can bar nuts be too tight?

I crank them up pretty tight with my scrench it just makes me nervous to think of bolts holding the bar on falling off. I have never stripped one yet.

Well, like I said, I do tighten them more than finger tight, I use the scrench and crank em down, but they still come off, and it never happens on my 257 or my 55 or my 028 super...just the 346xp(s). And one of them spits out a chain brake bolt about once a week, and its not missing a washer.

Anyone with a 346xp have this problem?

Can bar nuts be too tight?

Sounds like the adjuster might not be aligned with the hole correctly when you are snuggin' down the nuts... All I can think of.

Also sounds like you are really hard on equipment... bustin' chain brake bolts once a week? Wow...

Gary

Sounds like the adjuster might not be aligned with the hole correctly when you are snuggin' down the nuts... All I can think of.

Also sounds like you are really hard on equipment... bustin' chain brake bolts once a week? Wow...

Gary

Yes, I'd like to take a close look at those saws - this sounds operator error all the way, and maybe even troll......:agree2:

Are you saying that someone is surreptitiously disrespecting my new saw to be?
This is disturbing.

Yes, I'd like to take a close look at those saws - this sounds operator error all the way, and maybe even troll......:agree2:

I am not sure on the 346 because the chain brake handle is missing on mine but, On most saws I have the handle bolt also serves to be one of the pull start cover bolts. If you use the wrong bolt it will loosen because the chain brake is engaged and dis-engaged a few times. The brake actually turns the bolt just ever so slightly and then it will loosen under vibration. The remedy is a long bolt with no threads on the top portion. Then it will tighten as the threads run out and still have a place for the brake to pivot. Hard to explain but easy to see if you get the correct bolt. Mike

Back