Husky 3496XP or Jonsered 2150 Turbo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Husky 346XP or Jonsered 2150 Turbo

Well gents..these are the 2 saws that I have narrowed down to. The task I put before myself was to find 1 saw that was capable of being light enough to be an all around in the tree saw and double as a spar chunker. Being that I only have limited resources as far as funding I can't have a top handle and a rear. For the time being, since it's only side jobs at present a rear handle all arounder will do. Of the 2 mentioned, which would you guys decide. If you have any other suggestions I'm more than open to them. Figure in the upper 4 range tops on any saws you mention. Obviously lower would be better considering I still have to get a new pair of spikes as well. Fire away men!!!

Tony

P.S. I will be outfitting whichever with a 16" bar.

Last edited:
well i love the 346. it honestly looks and feels like it will be more comfortable on my hip for longer. i know a very odd question all around. i'm sure not many guys climb with rear handle 45cc saws as their primary.

well i love the 346. it honestly looks and feels like it will be more comfortable on my hip for longer. i know a very odd question all around. i'm sure not many guys climb with rear handle 45cc saws as their primary.

The NE346xp is 50cc, and has more power and a lot wider powerband than the old 45cc one - but also weights a tad (.4lbs) more.

The Jonsered version is the 2153.

Last edited:
the label on the chain brake said 45cc. i am pretty sure it was new addition as it had this raised xp label on top of the air filter cover. I've never seen that on there before. with a 16" bar i think that saw will cut like a raped ape. unfortunately i cant justify the expense of 2 saws at the moment. also i think that buying a top handle and renting a rear on every job i do would be silly? your opinion??

tony

the label on the chain brake said 45cc. i am pretty sure it was new addition as it had this raised xp label on top of the air filter cover. I've never seen that on there before. with a 16" bar i think that saw will cut like a raped ape. unfortunately i cant justify the expense of 2 saws at the moment. also i think that buying a top handle and renting a rear on every job i do would be silly? your opinion??

tony

Does it have the silver/gray clutch cover, a decomp valve (not needed), and an air purge (good move)?

If not, it is the ol' 45cc one, regardless of that xp logo......

..and I still wonder how the 2150 became an option.....:dizzy:

Last edited:

tony

The 346xps that I've seen were 45cc with orange clutch cover, or 50cc with silver clutch cover(like mine).:hmm3grin2orange: A saw with the decompression valve will be easier to start when not firmly on the ground.:clap:

Having a second saw would come in handy when you drop one from the tree,:dizzy: get one stuck,:confused: or have one fail.:cry: I don't cut wood without having two or more saws in the truck, and I'm not in the business.:chainsaw:

I honestly don't know how the 2150 became an option. I was leaning more toward the 2152 or whatever the comparable pro model is. But remember not too heavy as I will ne climbing with it often.

I honestly don't know how the 2150 became an option. I was leaning more toward the 2152 or whatever the comparable pro model is. But remember not too heavy as I will ne climbing with it often.

I believe the 2152 and 2153 to be the Jonsered equivalents of the Husqvarna 353 and 346xp respectively. The 353 is $70-$80 less than the 346XP, similar weight, construction, and displacement, but less rpms and hp.

Stihl MS260 or MS260 Pro?

Makita DCS401 and DCS540, BOTH for about the same price as the MS260 Pro?:jawdrop:

Fire away men!!!

Tony

P.S. I will be outfitting whichever with a 16" bar.

:hmm3grin2orange:

may be a bit tooo much power for in the tree.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ouvw1ESEpsM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ouvw1ESEpsM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

seriously, have you looked at the redmax or the dolmar 50cc saws ?

i think that 346 was modded in that video. all the same though...making me like it more. how about that solo 637. my local dealer has the solo on sale for 309 with a 14" bar. the 346xp with a 16" bar 479.95. what do you think??

If you're going to get a 346XP, make sure it's the New Edition 346XP. As others have said the NE 346XP has the silver clutch cover. I believe the list price is $489 or so. If you shop around you should be able to find them at a better price then that.

If you prefer the feel of the Jonsered 2150 over the Husky's, look at the 2153. It's Johnny Red's version of the NE 346XP.

do you know an estimated price for the 2153?? southwest trading has the 2152 for 409.95. so i'm assuming the 2153 cost more. this may sound like a newb question...but where is the clutch cover on a 346?? So there should be a purge bulb, and silver clutch cover versus an orange one if it's a 346XP NE model??

Tony

do you know an estimated price for the 2153?? southwest trading has the 2152 for 409.95. so i'm assuming the 2153 cost more. this may sound like a newb question...but where is the clutch cover on a 346?? So there should be a purge bulb, and silver clutch cover versus an orange one if it's a 346XP NE model??

Tony
Yes the 2153 will cost more then the 2152. I'm not sure about the actual price. I knew I wanted a Husky so I went with the NE 346XP. The clutch cover is on the same side as the bar and chain. You have to take it off to change the bar and chain. It's about 6 inches long and maybe 4 inches tall. If you held the saw and looked at the bar and chain side of it, it's VERY hard to miss. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

spike60 is the one to ask about Husky and Johnny Red saws. Send him a PM or post a topic with him name. He'll help you out! :)

:
seriously, have you looked at the redmax or the dolmar 50cc saws ?

That is my setup, the Redmax for climbing (and off roading on the quad) and the Dolmar for the bigger stuff. It has worked out good so far, I got the Dolmar jammed and the little Redmax saved me.

Keep your eye open on eBay, that is where I got my Redmax. New from a dealer with a case for $169.00 (I couldn't turn it down).

The Dolmar 5100 is the baddest 50cc saw ever made, and significantly cheaper than the 346XP. The 346XP is a tad lighter.

Since you are in NY you may be close enough to one of the best Dolmar dealers in the country, The Cutting Edge in Greenwich.

CuttinScott is the owner and a member here at AS

Tony

And a decomp valve.....

The clutch cover is on the right side, covering the clutch and the rear end of the bar - this question makes me wonder though..........:confused:

Have you ever used a chainsaw at all???????

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back