Husky 359 strange clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manilu

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i have problem with clutch or not, on saw is 18" bar with 3/8 chain, sharpened with husky sharpening tool, saw is old 3 months and around 30 cubic meters prepared with it,
when i press saw in wood chain stops and i don't need press too much, also when chain brake is on saw revs like isn't brake engaged but chain isn't moving, clutch and drum are dry all springs are in place
any ideas?

i'm not sure if i have problem with clutch or not, on saw is 18" bar with 3/8 chain, sharpened with husky sharpening tool, saw is old 3 months and around 30 cubic meters prepared with it,
when i press saw in wood chain stops and i don't need press too much, also when chain brake is on saw revs like isn't brake engaged but chain isn't moving, clutch and drum are dry all springs are in place
any ideas?
Clutch shoes worn or drum.

But it's new saw, maybe 30 working hours, i will send it to repair it's under warranty and hope they will fix it

Chain brake on and saw reving sounds bad. The brake should only be on when the saw is at idle, not at fast idle. If you are starting the saw with the brake on and letting it run at fast idle, it can burn up a clutch.

I'm starting saw with brake off, i will post pics tomorow now i'm at work
Yes it's really strange, old jonsered i had was never done that only if i pushed it to much it was stall but never stoped chain, but on husky i push saw little chain stops and saw continue to work normaly like nothing happend

So you wanna say that clutch shouldn't act like it's slipping? I think that need to stall saw without stoping chain am i right?

So you wanna say that clutch shouldn't act like it's slipping? I think that need to stall saw without stoping chain am i right?
The clutch will slip before stalling the saw. The saw will run and rev with the chain stopped. So your clutch may be fine, but chain bad, or engine is not making enough power, tuning off or?

Yes it was from begining, rankers are around 0,6 mm i checked them few days ago when i got huskys sharpening tool

If the saw revs with the brake band on the clutch is not engaging. Which would also explain why chain stops when pressed in cut.

Have you tried to move the shoes manually to verify they are not seized?

no i didn't, i will try tomorow that if isn't better i will send it to dealer, thx all for help

i'm gonna assume you grease your clutch drum bearing through the grease hole on the end of the crank. just so you know, it hardly takes half a pump of the grease gun that came with the saw to overgrease it and make a nasty mess in the clutch area. the ****** thing about that grease is when it gets between the clutch and drum it actually melts when hot and turns into a real good lube, then hardens up to grease form when it cools. i have seen it all to many times on saws owned by guys who are just learning. pull clutch and drum to clean with acetone, assemble and be conservative on the grease from now on. most saws will still pull the chain decent if you don't push on it even with a grease caked clutch though. last guy i helped with this issue was doing 3 pumps of grease every tank. what a mess that was :laugh: if your one of the guys that don't grease that bearing then carry on :laugh: :)

Latest posts

Back