Husky 372 chank bearing issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i richen the high speed as far as the stock limiter will let me turn it out do you have any idea about what rpm it would be at? Someone once told me that they turn the high speed out to the limiter and that was set nice for them.
Not right off hand, my hunch is as long as its not loading up its ok. Those "X-torqs" like fuel.

Not right off hand, my hunch is as long as its not loading up its ok. Those "X-torqs" like fuel.
So it may not be a bad idea to turn it to the limiter? Especially for break in?? I'm running the husky canned fuel in it right now because I got It for the extended warranty.

I'm nearing 20 years pro coming up with my 371/372 time alone. Possibly around 25,000 handle hours. Early activities being west coast thinning with a 16" at a very high rev.
Never had any issues.
Had a Simonized 2007/2008 that he claimed a 37% increase in power. 8.2 HP he said on his thread. Anyway I ran that saw in 38c /100 f and as low as 40 below.
I cooked it at -36 bucking Pine Beetle wood to burn. The saw had pluged fins.
I had a ported big bore on after that that was strong and the bearing punched out.
I don't ever run a tight chain. That may be why I have less issues than some others.
With abuse operators like in a slashing industry Like Asplundh or Davey Tree its Top end or big end on the crank mainly.

I'm nearing 20 years pro coming up with my 371/372 time alone. Possibly around 25,000 handle hours. Early activities being west coast thinning with a 16" at a very high rev.
Never had any issues.
Had a Simonized 2007/2008 that he claimed a 37% increase in power. 8.2 HP he said on his thread. Anyway I ran that saw in 38c /100 f and as low as 40 below.
I cooked it at -36 bucking Pine Beetle wood to burn. The saw had pluged fins.
I had a ported big bore on after that that was strong and the bearing punched out.
I don't ever run a tight chain. That may be why I have less issues than some others.
With abuse operators like in a slashing industry Like Asplundh or Davey Tree its Top end or big end on the crank mainly.

Sounds like that 25,000 hrs was on "pre" x-torq 372 class saws. 2010 the 372 world changed. :) They limited them at 13300 for a reason. Also notice you pointed out the chain tightness....one of those variables that could certainly effect clutch side bearing life!! And the saws I had to repair were run hard for long hours year in year out by folks who didn't have a vested interest in the saws and I KNOW were pretty aggressive on them .. they were all bent up .. might also along with possibly chain tightness issues contributed to those bearing failures.. :)

Sounds like that 25,000 hrs was on "pre" x-torq 372 class saws. 2010 the 372 world changed. :) They limited them at 13300 for a reason. Also notice you pointed out the chain tightness....one of those variables that could certainly effect clutch side bearing life!! And the saws I had to repair were run hard for long hours year in year out by folks who didn't have a vested interest in the saws and I KNOW were pretty aggressive on them .. they were all bent up .. might also along with possibly chain tightness issues contributed to those bearing failures.. :)
I still am and will continue to run the original style top end, Only one XT bottom end thus far that I got last winter.

I still am and will continue to run the original style top end, Only one XT bottom end thus far that I got last winter.

And you KNOW I can't say a word relative to that....

( My work saw is a X-torq bottom end with a 52mm tweaked top end just because.... Now my tweaked 562's are taking over because of Arthur :( Too many years hangin on to dirt bikes I'm afraid )

And you KNOW I can't say a word relative to that....

( My work saw is a X-torq bottom end with a 52mm tweaked top end just because.... Now my tweaked 562's are taking over because of Arthur :( Too many years hangin on to dirt bikes I'm afraid )
Yes after 26 years it's taken its toll on my hands too. Thinning Mountains of Hemlock stands on North West Vancouver Island in the early days was like a bad reoccurring nightmare.
I remember getting $400.00 an acre and if we cut half an acre we got 20 bucks for dinner per night honored. Most of it was an absolute wall, you couldn't see two ft in front of you. Steep & thick. Layed down it was about 25' to the ground. Sometimes your feet wouldn't touch the ground for a week while you were cutting it seemed, just walking on little stumps from one side to the next.
I use a Walkerized 266 and by '94-'95 a Walkerized 266 with 272 top. That was a serious scarry fast saw. Not like my Falling saws of today. Unless the Stihl gets the AV mount in the 52 mm then I will stay with my husky's:bowdown:I will still give up torque in my Falling saws for weight and Rev's. On and of the trigger thousands of times a day in the limbs on a heavy 'four stroke' is murder to me. I also use the thinner XP full wrap handle due to grip strength lose. More noticed at heights when setting or limbing.:hi:

Local Stihl tech advised that while the bottom ends of Stihl saws are fairly rugged, they can be brought to premature failure by over-revving, and that clearing crews are particularly skilled at doing this. Point is, any saw needs to be operated near the specified maximum power revs.

I bought a 2001 372xp in 2011 from a tree removal co. it looked well used. The Guy said it had been his Dad's saw and had not been used much the last 6 years as he had a couple more 372s, the saw ran well, some time later I got a tach, found this saw to be turning 14600 RsPM, study of specs. showed max should be 13500.
Going to the carb I find the H needle up against the limiter and can't be richened any further, I can only assume this saw spent it's whole life at 14600, I trimmed the limiter and richened it up to 13800.

John

The limiter may also be in a different position than originally, I assume.

Does anyone have the dates for when Husqvarna switches the 372xp xtorq’s crank bearings back over to steel cage? I have a 2014 model that I want to know which bearings I have in it as I have to make this saw last for earning my pay. Also how would you know if this bearings is bad (small signs of failure)? Lastly I recently purchased a pop up piston for this saw as when I picked it up used the piston was scored after replacing the piston I have ran the saw for about 6months fairly hard in hard and dirty woods. I went to do a good cleaning on it today and removed the exhaust and sure enough their is minor scoring from the top on the piston about one third of the way down. I had no clue because just last month I did a compression test and it was at 167 psi cold. The saw will start from cold in three pulls never fails however the idle until warmed up will wonder but nothing crazy just maybe from 2,600-3,300 chain will barley creep and once it’s good and warm the idle goes away. Any thoughts on this would be very much so appreciated.

Majority of all saw bearings are standard size bearings that can be bought from several places. 6202 and 6203 are the sizes. 372 runs a 6202. Scoring could be the saw was ran too lean and got hot, has a small leak which caused a lean condition. That’s pretty much it for scoring on the exhaust side. If you plan to replace the piston buy a meteor 268 windowed piston and have a .035 pop up cut on it. Make a strong saw with 200 psi compression. Bolts right up after cutting the pop up.

Interesting about the 268 piston this will work inside of a xtorq cylinder without issues? Also as for the saw running too lean I really don’t think so I had it running pretty rich the piston crown has quite a bit of burn on it. The crown of the jug/squish band has none though. However after sitting down today I looked at the exhaust gasket and it has a chunk missing. Would it be possible for that missing piece to have caused the flow to be miss directed and oil/spent exhaust built up too close to the exhaust port and some how worked it’s way against the piston?

Also as to my bearings question. To my understanding there were a few years where these saws were made with defective nylon cages bearing. I was trying to figure out what years that would have been

I see this post is still alive, once Husqvarna moved to the nylon caged bearings they never went back on the 372's from what I can tell. Not certain of all the little changes over the years but there were some. From manufacturing to bits and pieces. From my limited view of this, looks to me that what ever issues the early ones had the statistics changed somewhere in the 2016-17 time frame to the point I haven't seen those bearing issues on the newer 372's in fact haven't seen one newer than 2017 with that as a failure. Is it service life? or the changes. Actually the latest one I saw was a 2016 model that had 3 years of daily production use. That's getting to the point where a saw will be worn out anyway.

The original 372 bearings had a metal cage,which flew apart and caused damage to the engine,the metal cage was the problem,tearing apart and destroying the saw with metal wrechage,simply use the NTN bearing with the "Teflon" or plastic cage,problem over.Done it lots of times,no failures

Metal cages or not, most of the 372's I get in are completely destroyed anyway because a lot of owners keep running them till they fry the top end as well, -just gotta finish the day with that saw that doesn't run so good. I generally replace the crank bearings with SKF metal cage bearings. My own saw is a 372xp Walkerized saw I just rebuilt.

Metal cages or not, most of the 372's I get in are completely destroyed anyway because a lot of owners keep running them till they fry the top end as well, -just gotta finish the day with that saw that doesn't run so good. I generally replace the crank bearings with SKF metal cage bearings. My own saw is a 372xp Walkerized saw I just rebuilt.
Me too, and over the last 6 years the X-torq's I replaced the OEM bearings with steel cages before the cases were wasted; ARE STILL OUT there working making money for their owners. Far out lasting their original "plastic" form. And this is dozen's of them over the years.

Did this video last year and nothing has happened to change my opinion:

Back