Husky 385xp modded muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I figured I'd post some pics of my husky 385xp's modded muffler I did today. Once I took the muffler off the saw, I used a small center punch and punched where I wanted the pipes to go. Then I used a 1/8" drill bit and drilled a tap hole. Then I used a 1/4" bit, and then I used the die grinder to ream the holes so the pipes where a tight fit. Then I used the die grinder to angle the pipes, and clean up the burrs off the holes. Then I took it to the wire brush on the bench grinder and cleaned up the holes more. Then I measured and cut 2 pieces of 5/8" copper pipe, and cleaned them up on the wire brush as well. Then I stuck 2 screwdrivers in the pipes to keep them steady and angled while I brazed the pipes. Then I fired up the blow torch with my small brazing tip and brazed the pipes in. I let the muffler cool, cleaned it up more with the wire brush and blew it out with 150 psi compressed air 3 times. Then I put it on the saw and fired it up, I warmed it up and adjusted the idle and then adjusted the H, it was clear against the limiter. And now she is turning 12,840 rpms and is a lot stronger and sounds even better. After I let it cool I took the muffler off the saw again and painted it, and put it back on. It really perked up this saw, and the muffler looks even better.:rock: :D :) :rockn:

Sorry if this question has been answered before but I did a search and couldnt find my answer. Does it cause and problems if you dont run spark arrestor screen what is the difference/purpose of the screen?

The spark arrester prevents sparks from being blown out the exhaust and possibly causing a fire..

If there was damage from lack of a screen all my saws would be dead by now.

If you cut in very dry conditions do not remove the screen though, they do work

Good job 440......is it loud enough to strike fear into your 660?:D

I'm tellin' ya what its close. If the bar is buried the 066 DP will have it. But anything under 20" that 385 is whuping the 066 and 660's behind. But the 660 only has 3 tanks through it so far. The DP 066 and the 385 are close, but you can see, that when the bars are buried the modded 066 clearly has it by a margin. You can pull on it all you want, and it finds more grunt and keeps on going. I'd say that the 066 is pretty much unstoppable with a 24" bar and modded muffler. But that mod REALLY perked up that 385, for sure..... And it still has that awesome husky sound!:hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy: :greenchainsaw:

385/660

Yeah I am curious to see how far behind the 660 it still is

It's not far behind the 660, it's close....that's for sure. When the bar is buried the 660 will still prolly beat it, but in anything smaller the 385 is whuping it. But then again the 660 only has 3 tanks through it so far. I had a big chestnut oak (42" DBH) and a yellow poplar (38" DBH) to cut for firewood, and used the 660 a little, the last couple days. It breaking in...slowly....like all stihls.LOL The 660's muffler is bugging me, it's the only one not modded now....LOL:hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy: :greenchainsaw:

Damn, I wish I had some cutting pals that owned a 660.......I'm jonesin' to try one out.....well,that and my 390 is itchin' fer a real race!:sword:

Damn, I wish I had some cutting pals that owned a 660.......I'm jonesin' to try one out.....well,that and my 390 is itchin' fer a real race!:sword:

I'll race ya in the modded 066, I think that would be a good race. But the 385 might give you a run for your money.LOL Is your 390xp modded yet?:hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw: :biggrinbounce2: :chainsawguy:

Yeah, now that she's broken in she's sporting a homemade dual-port muffler.What a racket!It sounds sweeter than french prono!:biggrinbounce2:
Oh yeah...It cuts faster too.

pic?

Yeah, now that she's broken in she's sporting a homemade dual-port muffler.What a racket!It sounds sweeter than french prono!:biggrinbounce2:
Oh yeah...It cuts faster too.

Do you have a pic of the muffler? Or what did you do to it?:greenchainsaw: :chainsawguy:

I don't have any pics yet...I just removed the muffler and bored two 1\2" holes out of the top left corner where the exhaust won't burn anything or blow back in my face.I'll take a pic after I borrow a buddies mig. and give her the double-barrell pipe treatment.

Back