Husky 450..first day review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLumberJack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I worked about 6 hours today with my new Husky 450 (20").

8am...couldn't get it to start...flooded it...finally got it to start.

fell two ~40' pines and cut into 20" rounds...friend did all the chipping and small work.

10am started to cut up two large oak blowdowns.....shortly thereafter threw the chain (it was not terribly loose but close to the point where I'd stop and tighten). It wasn't a violent throw but nonetheless it unleashed so i stopped to find the chain was ####ed from hitting the metal bar.

11am drove to get a new chain since i didn't want to mess with filing the burs...they actually didn't have the husky chain so i went with a Stihl and i picked up a backup windsor while i was at it. That windsor sure feels sharp.

1pm pretty much finished up for the day because it's saturday and the wife gets pissed if i'm gone til dinner.

overall, ran three tanks of gas through it and was impressed with its cutting ability on the green trees i was working with.

the starting and chain issue was a pita but if it doesn't happen more i'll be a fan of this saw.

I think you will like the 450. I have had mine 6 months maybe and took it out today, cut 2 big pickup loads with it and it impresses me every time I run it! Its funny though I threw the chain off mine the first day I got it and boogered it up to, I was able to file the burs off and run it though! I have not had any prob with starting/flooding. For the money though I like the 450 and the old 350 best of all the 50cc saws I have ran. 5100 will out cut it but they cost a lot more here. ALOT! I also had 260 pro, and I know they are a lot better built saw they say. Here the 260 is over 500 new though and the 450 is 330 or so. Anyway the stihl may be a better saw but It would not out cut the 450 by much side by side it was so close I couldn't call a consistent winner. Anyway you'll here some guys talk about the plastic case, And it is plastic but they are a great little saw IMO !!

Latest posts

Back