Husky 450 rancher bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonestarStihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've seen several saw with bars from other makers and please excuse my newbness to such things but I need some guidance. I need a new bar for my 450 rancher and didn't know if there were better deals on other bar and chain combos and where to find such things. Thank for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you find a super deal online if you are just buying one bar and chain its probably to just get it from a local shop. That being said scope out ebay first.

What length bar do you want? Assuming you are running .325 chain? Do you just want a basic bar to replace what you have or do you want to step up to a replaceable nose bar?

Are you considering a longer, but lightweight bar, such that you end up longer without any net weight gain?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been using the oem bar that came with it 20". I'm still learning the world of everything AS has opened my eyes to. @SCOTTS_4X thanks for the link that's half the price of the local store and looks better I may try it out. I don't honestly know what I'm looking for besides good quality at a fair price. The only place somewhat local with a husky bar is Lowes and they've pissed me off so much I'd piss in their coffee.

Will using any chain as long as it meets the size requirements work with the bar? I am pretty sure that's how it works but I didn't know if they somehow made their chains so they didn't work between different mechanisms

And I appreciate yalls help! This is an awesome forum group!

Holy balls $13 shipping but still comes in cheaper

as long as you're running normal .325 .050 chain you're good. make sure you're not running narrow kerf chain, my 450 came with a laminated narrow kerf bar and h30 narrow kerf chain.

-scott

as long as you're running normal .325 .050 chain you're good. make sure you're not running narrow kerf chain, my 450 came with a laminated narrow kerf bar and h30 narrow kerf chain.

-scott

How do you like the 18 vs the original 20?

mine came with an 18, bought it refurbed off VMI. I like it that way. it's not the most powerful saw I own but it's been muff modded and runs pretty well. I think 20 is a bit much for this saw.

-scott

-

What happened to your existing bar?are you sure it needs replacing, or just a new chain?

It got to the point it was rusting up. I had sent it off for repair under extended warranty...which later found out what the issue was on my own and it was simple...but when I received it back the bar was all rusted and crap probably from them leaving it out. The problem with the 450 that I've found is that the Husky chains they sell as replacement are 80link when the original bar is a 78 link as well

78DL 0.325" chains are available in many big box stores, both Oregon and TriLink. You can get TriLink non-safety full chisel chain at Tractor Supply. I just picked up a loop recently and it works well. You can get bars as well but those are likely to be TriLink as well, and while I have no issues with their chain their bars are not as good. They do work though.

As was mentioned up thread though, if it presently has a 0.325" narrow kerf setup you might not be able to swap on regular 0.325" bars and chains, but I don't know that saw well enough.

If the only issue is the bar was rusty....just sand it down and paint it with some rustoleum gray. They hit it with a few coats of acrylic clear.

or do like I did, just sand all the paint off and grain it with some scotch brite. then just keep it wiped down with some oil or wd40.

20160422_210035_zpsnurjzvu3.jpg~original

this is the stock 18" laminated narrow kerf husqvarna bar that came with my 450
-scott

Thanks for the help y'all. I think I will get it cleaned up and save some money. I appreciate yall

Latest posts

Back