husky 455 rancher or 550 xp ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing you need to do with the 550xp is change the air screen to a felt air filter or sawdust will be sucked into intake! I bought the 550xp for my limbing saw. It does good for its compact size and weight. The bad is its cold blooded and has to idle several minutes until it's warmed up or it just dies. Doesn't use much fuel. I use the 7900 for the bucking saw. Also had the chain come off the 550 and had to file a dozen drive links so they would fit back in the bar again, never had to touch up a 3/8 chain before when one comes off. Probably only had a chain come off 5 times total in the years I have been cutting. My guess is the .325 chain just wasn't thick enough to handle the abuse idk.
I buy and sell a few saws and such. In all that it's inevitable I get chains that have been tossed. I use a 12 volt stihl grinder/sharpener to clean up drive links. It works perfect. I have a deep cell battery for my trolling motor that rest under my bench that has a trickle charger on it at all times. I figure if I'm out fishing I'm sharpening hooks not grinding drive links lol.
Hope this helps someone :).

I use my Dremel with a little grinding wheel to clean up the drive links on my chains that have come off on me. Been cutting regular for 6 years now to feed the OWB and I would guess that I have tossed no more then 3 or 4 chains in that time.

I use my Dremel with a little grinding wheel to clean up the drive links on my chains that have come off on me. Been cutting regular for 6 years now to feed the OWB and I would guess that I have tossed no more then 3 or 4 chains in that time.
Much better than a file :). That's basically what mine is, it works great.

Welcome to AS Charlie.
The 555 is a fun saw for sure. One of the best all around firewood saws made now to me.
That looks like a 24 on there, I'm guessing thats a big pine?
Good guess on bar length. It is a great saw, I did the exhaust modification and added another set of bar teeth, it's been awesome. 44 inch based pine to be exact. Thanks for the welcome.

South East Idaho, it's louder for sure but let's me spin more aggressive chains.
Nice, know a guy who will be building out there soon, but farther north.
We cut hardwood most all the time and I have other larger saws for the bigger wood. I also have other bars I would put on it if I was going to need to only bring one saw along somewhere, but I try not to get in that "situation" lol.
Here's mine with a 3/8×16" setup, very fun :).
Here's to you on this one @svk :cheers:.
20161013_165119.jpg

Nice, know a guy who will be building out there soon, but farther north.
We cut hardwood most all the time and I have other larger saws for the bigger wood. I also have other bars I would put on it if I was going to need to only bring one saw along somewhere, but I try not to get in that "situation" lol.
Here's mine with a 3/8×16" setup, very fun :).
Here's to you on this one @svk :cheers:.
View attachment 538689

A 555 with a 16" bar must just fall through wood!

I've been thinking about buying a 555 myself, as my nephew wants my 55, so that would give me an excuse to buy a saw. lol

I'd probably put a 20" on it though ? .

SR

I've been thinking about buying your 555 myself, as my nephew wants my 55, so that would give me an excuse to buy a saw. lol

I'd probably put a 20" on it though ? .

SR
I fixed it for you Rob :rolleyes:.
I have a 20x.050x3/8 or 20×.058×3/8, and a 18"×.058x3/8. Not sure about 18×.050 unless it's. 325, and I know you like that lol.
I also have a 55 here that needs a fuel line if you want to keep yours. I'll do you real good in that one, face cord of wood good as that's all I got into it.
Give me a call, and I'll run it over if you want to try it out.

I fixed it for you Rob :rolleyes:.
I have a 20x.050x3/8 or 20×.058×3/8, and a 18"×.058x3/8. Not sure about 18×.050 unless it's. 325, and I know you like that lol.
I also have a 55 here that needs a fuel line if you want to keep yours. I'll do you real good in that one, face cord of wood good as that's all I got into it. Give me a call, and I'll run it over if you want to try it out.

I'll have to see if my nephew comes through with the cash first, as I did already tell him I'd sell the 55 to him and I won't renege on a deal...

Thanks chipper!

SR

Back