Husky 455 rancher or stihl 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigGuynMI

Reaction score
Home owner needed to upgrade from a first saw (green wild thing). Wanting to get serious about firewood , maybe sell a cord here and there. Found these 2 saws same ballpark $$$. Getting opinions. Thanks.

easy

039 is way better the 455 rancher is only 14% better than your wild thing !!!!!!!!!:msp_w00t:

039 is way better the 455 rancher is only 14% better than your wild thing !!!!!!!!!:msp_w00t:

For sure the second part of that is BOGUS. :msp_rolleyes: Nice try, though, with the pseudo-precision.

First part sounds like stihl fanboy, or dealer. :msp_unsure:

I would get the 039 over the 455 myself. It has a few more cc's and is about as big as they come for homeowner saws.

I also would get the 039 over the 455 . Just because the 039 is a bigger saw . As long as they are in the same shape and price range . The 455 is probably a newer saw they still make them . The 039 was replaced by the 390 and now the 391 . Run them both in some wood if you can .

For sure the second part of that is BOGUS. :msp_rolleyes: Nice try, though, with the pseudo-precision.

First part sounds like stihl fanboy, or dealer. :msp_unsure:

All of it is bogus - the 039 is larger and stronger, but the 455 is a lot better in areas like air filtration and AV. Both are "homeowner" saws, don't let anyone fool you into believing something else - and which one is best for you depends on your priorities. I wouldn't want either, but that's me....

I dont like the way either is made but the 455 feels better to me. If your talking about new prices you can get an even bigger used pro saw for the same price.

Bigguy don't get caught up in the brand bashing or the gotta have a Pro saw stuff . If you are going to earn your living with a saw then neither of those two saws is the right choice . If you want to make some firewood for yourself and sell a couple cord than either will serve just fine . They both have been filling peoples woodsheds for years .Get yourself some protective gear some extra chains and learn how to sharpen. Then go make chips . After you gain some experience then go invest in a Pro saw or if you end up like the rest of us a couple dozen or more .

I like the 455 personally but if I was talking new , I might go for a 5105 dolmar if a dealers close . In terms of money you'll get a prosumer saw for the same $$. Both of those saws cant match the production of it without modding them , although the 390s are bigger they dont stack up in class til you get away from the homeowner line. I believe one of the site sponsors has makitas listed , which are the same as a dolmar for a good price right now. But thats just my opinion.

Well, when you ask an opinion like that on here you are bound to get a variety of answers. I will give you my opinion based on the fact that we have both the 039 and the 455. I think they are both better saws than many think they are and likely because they have no or little personal experience with them.

So here is my answer: If the saws are essentially equal in condition I would hands down go with the 039. I think it is a more durable saw and doesn't have the cheapo looking plasticy parts on it that the 455 has. I will say that we have not broken any of the 455 parts, they just don't appear too strong to me.

For what 039's sell for used and what 455's sell for new/refurbed I would think that the 455 should be nearly new to be equivalent value wise.

Either saw will be a large step up from what you have and you will be happy with either.

Completely agree with last post, except he forgot to add the 039 is more powerful and they both weigh approximately the same weight. Also, from personal experience I know a 039 will pull and oil a 24" bar, seriously doubt a 455 could. Need to point out to a previous poster that the only difference between an 039 and the newer MS390 is the flippy caps, that's all. Price being equal, I'd take the 039 hands down over the 455 any day and twice on Sunday, but either saw would suit the OP 's needs.

039... 64cc and durable.... Responds well to muffler modifications too... A bit of a heavy pig, but anyone who's spent any trigger time on one wouldn't question the integrity of that model...
Easy decision...

Wasn't sure about that open port question, but all the cylinders I've seen looked the same except some had decomp valves and were stamped Stihl, while others were Mahle.

Thanks

:clap: Well I ended up with the 039. They were both @ $300. This saw felt strong. Coming with
an 18" and 20" bar/chains I got it.

I am thankful for the replies. I hope this might help another noob. I agree this debate could go on for a long time. Like I said I'm not making a living with this saw, I just want to buck a tree
a liitle faster than it takes now. (hope I said that right.)

Now to find the mods:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back