Husky 460 no oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginger15

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a husky 460 used from someone local. It's not pumping oil. Give me some places on where to look and how to tear down to that spot. Thanks!

I believe its a 2002 model 460, its not a rancher.

in side the oil tank, there is a hose with a brass barrel to filter the oil to the pump . dump the old oil fill 1/4 full with raw gas and let it set for a few hours! dump the raw gas and see what you get after filling the tank with fresh oil!
? many home owner saws are used with old dirty motor oil!!

Roger that. When I had the tank full of oil and the saw running with bar off, I could see bar oil residue on the exit, and it looked to be bubbling, like it was putting air out, not oil.

Yes, oiler hole on the saw and bar are clean, its just purely not leaving the tank.

I rebuilt a husqvarna 455 and the oil pump wasn't pumping any oil. I took the pump off and I took the outlet hose that supply's the oil to the bar and put it on the inlet side of the pump and submerged the hose in oil and held it with my fingers and turned the gear and nothing came out. I then tried the same thing with a pump off a parts saw and that pump was working so I used it. So, you may want to take the pump off and test. I've seen aftermarket pumps for $17 on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's bubbling at the exit port and if I hold the saw vertical it will slowly drip out. But if it sits flat, nothing, just bubbles.

How do I tear it down far enough to test/replace the pump?

One thing i know for sure the plastic drive likes to strip threads, remove the clutch its the black piece behind it. Pull it out and check the threads. Just be careful when puttin clutch back on bc theres spots on the clutch drum that line up with the pump driver.

The clutch is left hand thread, pull the rope out stuff it down the spark plug hole, take an adjustable wrench place it straight in the clutch spider in the center, use another adjustable to turn the first one clockwise to loosen clutch that will get you down to the pump drive. Im willing to bet its stripped.

Well, it was pumping gas out the oiler hole. Should I refil with bar oil and retest? Or go straight to taking the clutch off?

You might check it, it worth a shot before removing the clutch, i have a 460 and the rental shop i work at rents 455 460s ive replaces the plastic driver numerous times. It mite grab enough to spin bc gas is so thin but with bar oil its thick enough it could be jumping threads so to speak

Thats amazing lol they are usually the weakest link. If youve checked everything else theres only the pump left

I have seen once with a weak pump. It wouldnt pump by itself but if you pressurized the tank and forced oil to the bar, it started pumping on its own and was fine from then on. Like it needed a prime.

The way it was done was sacrificing an oil cap drilling a hole in it and hooking a pressure/vacuum guage and just putting a couple pounds in the tank

Guess replacing the pump is it then. There is oily dust under the cover, like it oiled at one time in its life. But I guess it isnt now. I found a used one on ebay for 18$. The next cheapest I found is new at 35.

You might check ereplacementparts.com, ive gotten a decent ammount of parts from them and there oem parts

Latest posts

Back