Husky 460 vs 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-=TC=-

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It's time to get a new saw, I have had a husky 340 for about 9 years now and it looks like I may have worked it a little too hard, I installed an outdoor wood boiler and I am now using about 8 cord a year.

I am looking for a saw to use for firewood and the odd time around the yard, so I don't need anything that's too big. That being said, I want to make sure that I get a saw that will not be under sized for the job.

the 460 is rated for 60.3 cc's and the 353 is rated for 51.7 cc's. From what I can see, the 353 is closer to the pro end of the scale, and I want to make sure that I get a saw that I am not going to abuse.

The wood that I will be cutting is hardwood in 8' lengths, I would say an average of 10", normal loads of firewood.

I would really like to stick with Husky, and I am going to try to go out today to take a look at the two saws. My budget is pretty well none existent so I can't go with anything bigger, the saw will usually only be used a couple of weeks a year but I do want to make sure it's up to the task.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

T.C.

Last edited:
Going from a 340 to a 353 will not make you disappointed.
You will get 100% pro quality. The 353 is a little bit in the shadow
of the mighty 346 but in my opinion a very good performer. Especially for
firewood, the advantage of the 346 quicker acceleration is of less
importance. Build quality is the same so it will last you forever.
The power advantage compared to your old 340 should be significant.
Good thing that you can reuse all your b&c.

Going from a 340 to a 353 will not make you disappointed.
You will get 100% pro quality. The 353 is a little bit in the shadow
of the mighty 346 but in my opinion a very good performer. Especially for
firewood, the advantage of the 346 quicker acceleration is of less
importance. Build quality is the same so it will last you forever.
The power advantage compared to your old 340 should be significant.
Good thing that you can reuse all your b&c.

Nothing wrong with the 353, except that it isn't a 346xp.

There is a huge price difference here, but not so bad in the US!

I don't have a price on the 346, but I think it would be more than I want to spend, I am looking at a flyer that has the 460 for $599 CDN and the 353 for $589.
I am trying to decide which would be a better fit, I like the idea of the 60cc of the 460, but I am wondering if the 353 is a better saw?

i think 346's are $700+ CDN. if you can spare the change, it will be money well spent in the long run. you won't have any regrets and second thoughts.
have you considered a stihl saw? from my understanding they are a good bit cheaper in canada than are huskies. i don't have any particular allegiance to any brand and stihl makes some very good saws. a 361 or 362 comes to mind as a single-saw plan saw for the firewood cutter. you might also consider a used 044/440 or 372. they are a little heavier than the 346/361 but have a good bit more grunt.

It's time to get a new saw, I have had a husky 340 for about 9 years now and it looks like I may have worked it a little too hard, I installed an outdoor wood boiler and I am now using about 8 cord a year.

I am looking for a saw to use for firewood and the odd time around the yard, so I don't need anything that's too big. That being said, I want to make sure that I get a saw that will not be under sized for the job.

the 460 is rated for 60.3 cc's and the 353 is rated for 51.7 cc's. From what I can see, the 353 is closer to the pro end of the scale, and I want to make sure that I get a saw that I am not going to abuse.

The wood that I will be cutting is hardwood in 8' lengths, I would say an average of 10", normal loads of firewood.

I would really like to stick with Husky, and I am going to try to go out today to take a look at the two saws. My budget is pretty well none existent so I can't go with anything bigger, the saw will usually only be used a couple of weeks a year but I do want to make sure it's up to the task.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

T.C.
I certainly don't have any complaints about my 353..I cut some wood with it yesterday and was amazed at the power of the little saw. I'm used to using the old Poulans, Macs and Homelites and couldn't believe the difference, but then again the 353 is fairly new and the others are over 20 years old. Still, I'd have to say that the 353 is my favorite.

Between the 460 and the 353 I would go with the 353. It is lighter and closer to Pro.

I had heard the 353 had a harmonics problem and they were apt to rattle their muffler bolts loose. My buddy just had his 353 warrantied for this reason. After he got his saw back from the dealer his bolts came lose again.

If your wanting a 60cc for bigger wood I would look at a 359, great saw with pro quality features and you should be able to get one close in price to a 460.

I had heard the 353 had a harmonics problem and they were apt to rattle their muffler bolts loose. My buddy just had his 353 warrantied for this reason. After he got his saw back from the dealer his bolts came lose again.

I have never experienced that, or even heard of it before.

There also is a bracket that helps holding the muffler in place. Also there are no plastic oil tank to melt, like there are on the 350.

I wanted to throw this into the mix, the 455 rancher is 55.5 cc's and is $449 CDN I wonder if this would stand up to what I want to do? (8-9 cord)

I own the 455, not a bad saw. Had I not tried a pro saw I would have lived on in ignorant bliss.

With that said, get a pro saw if you can swing the $. It is a long term invenstment and you will NEVER worry about the $ spent after a day running one. The way I looked at it, I could spend 10-15 years with the 455 wishing I had a better saw or I could buy the better saw and run it for 30 years and never look back.

I own the 455, not a bad saw. Had I not tried a pro saw I would have lived on in ignorant bliss.

With that said, get a pro saw if you can swing the $. It is a long term invenstment and you will NEVER worry about the $ spent after a day running one. The way I looked at it, I could spend 10-15 years with the 455 wishing I had a better saw or I could buy the better saw and run it for 30 years and never look back.

I guess that answers that question pretty clearly,
Thanks

Time to drive over to the dealer and have a closer look at the 353, they don't have it listed in their spring flyer, so I will have to see what kind of promotions are coming up.
Thanks for all the input, I will check back in later

I wanted to throw this into the mix, the 455 rancher is 55.5 cc's and is $449 CDN I wonder if this would stand up to what I want to do? (8-9 cord)

Sure, but the power to weight ratio really sucks - it is basically an over-heavy lump of plastic....
The 460 is the same basic saw, but with a larger and stronger engine.

Both the 455 and the 460 are usually sold with an 18" bar and 3/8 chain, if you do decide on either the 455 or 460 (the 455 is much less and had to justify the extra money for a mere 4cc's) opt for either a 16" bar in 3/8 or give yourself a real treat and go to a 16 or 18" bar in .325.

My 2152 (J-Red sister of the 353) was my primary firewood saw for 6 years before I made it into a hybrid and swaped in a 346 piston and cylinder (and I made the swap for the sole fact that I had the parts lying around).

I just got back from the Husky dealer, I checked out the 455 Rancher, the 460 and the 353. I really liked the feel of the 353, it's not heavy and really looked solid. The 455 really seemed like a big heavy saw for the power. I was hoping that they would have some kind of promotion coming up for Fall, but they said there would be no extras, (case, extra chain or anything else).
There are a bunch of Stihl dealers in my area so I had a look at their stuff. The MS 260 looks to be the comparable saw to the 353 and you do get a case, chain, a DVD and a hat.
I will probably wait until next week to see what the Fall Husky flyer will actually be.
I have a brand new 18" bar and chain that I was going to try on my old saw that will fit on the 353, so I guess I will put some thought into things.

My neighbor has a stihl, so I think I will take his for a test drive.

Thanks for all the input, it's always good to get as much info as possible.

Do the 353's have the cat muffler up there in Canada? It would have had a green gas cap if so. That muffler ruins an otherwise good saw; lots and lots of heat. Otherwise it's a great saw for your needs.

The 455/460 are very capable firewood saws, although, I'd prefer the 353/346 any day myself. But the truth is that out there away from AS, most personal firewood is cut with non-pro saws.

I also think that a lot of these "which firewood saw" threads kind of miss an important point. At least as important as how much wood you burn, is the size of the wood you are cutting. You could be burning a dozen cords a year, but if it's mostly 8" to 12" logs, then real good 50cc saw might be the best choice. All the power you need in a nice light package.

I may get a bit of flack for this, but it is my experience. My uncle is by far the most expereinced sawyer I know as he has been doing it forever. He bought a husky 455 last year because he had some gift certificates and store credits at sears. He really liked the saw and how it handled. I got to use it side by side with its main competition the Stihl 290. On that day, I probably would have taken the 290 over the 455--mostly for feel, not necessarily for how it cut. They both cut much better than my 7 year old 46cc Poulan as they should. However, that 455 is no more as my uncle killed it. The cylinder is ruined and he had to take it back. I ran into a tree service guy who also swore by the ms290's which quite frankly surprised the heck out of me. He uses the 290 as his main saw with a 660 with a 28" bar for monster stuff and a top handle for the in tree work. Again, the 455 may be a solid a saw, but as much as the 290 is considered a boat anchor--it is a solid and dependable saw that you more than likely can find get for a real good price--I hear much better than comparable husky's in canada.

Now with all of that said, If you can swing a pro saw--you will be glad you did. For a firewood saw--a pro 50cc will be great.

Latest posts

Back