Husky 55 55R 455 455R Differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
I already tried the search and couldn't find much. Anyone know what makes a "Rancher" of the 55 and 455 saws? And what is the difference between the 55 and the 455? They all look similar to me.

Isn't the 455 the 55 with the milling features factory-set?

Just kidding. I have no clue - you're talking Husky. Someone with usefull information will pipe up, until then, ignore me.:)

The 55 and the 455 are very different designs, and never heard of a 455 that wasn't a Rancher.

The differences between a 55 and a 55R varied a bit I believe, but were minor anyway. I have not "seen" anyone that claim to know the full story......

Imo, the 55 is a much more desirable saw than the newer 455.

Didnt the regular 55 come with .325 pitch chain and the Rancher come with a 3/8's setup? Or maybe it was the other way around....

I believe it mostly is that way, but not allways.....

Power specs sometimes have been .1kW different as well, but not allways - and some EPA ones were only 51cc - etc........:confused:

I can't speak for the newer ones, I have both a rancher and a plan old 55.
The 55 has a decomp valve and .325 chain
The rancher has a 3/8 chain and no valve (newer ranchers might)

Jeremy

I can't speak for the newer ones, I have both a rancher and a plan old 55.
The 55 has a decomp valve and .325 chain
The rancher has a 3/8 chain and no valve (newer ranchers might)

Jeremy

Might
is the word - too many different versions to tell anything for sure is my impression.

My former employer was bringing in the 55 with no decom valve then they started appearing with one about a year ago. Good thing too, easier on fingers and starters.
The 455 is the new strato charge design and I am not impressed. Too heavy and more complex with more potential for intake leaks. Unfortunately, it is the way of the future with the ever tightening emissions noose. If I was buying a new saw, the 55 would be on the short list.

Thanks guys. I bought a really clean 55 a few months ago. Church had it, and it was used for "disaster relief." The thing probably didn't have 25 tanks of gas through it. The disaster was the guy who straight gassed it. Oh well, he probably didn't know any better. It ran, but was really weak on compression. I put a meteor piston in it yesterday. I'll probably get it running tomorrow. I was thinking about selling it due to Christmas coming, plus it will keep the Mrs. happy. I just wanted to know what I have. It is .325 chain, and has the decomp. Looks like the muffler would be very easy to mod on it..... Maybe I should sell my 024 instead.

If the 55 runs strong keep it and sell your 024, a 55 will cut circles around an 024/025/026. I have cut a LOT of stuff with mine and it took my years of teenage abuse (got the saw when I was 15) and lack of maintenance and always came back for more.

I thought the 55R had a reverse lever for backing out of bar pinches.
:monkey:

Are yall joking about that? I have the Husky 455 Rancher. It does have the decompression valve. I havent noticed a reverse lever. I have a feeling yall got me on that one.

Back