Husky 55 Rancher, Stilh MS290 or Echo CS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use the search function. There must be hundreds of threads on this topic. Personally, I hate the 290, definately don't like the 455, love the 353!
If the 353 fit's your budget, don't make yourself unhappy with plastic consumer saws.

welcome newcottager!

Where in Canada are you located? Have you looked at the Husqvarna 340? For what you have said you will be doing around the cottage the 340 would likely work also. The 340 is also lighter and cost $100.00 less. Both the 340 and 55 are on sale now with a free carry case, pocket Knife, ball hat, and dvd.

welcome newcottager!

Where in Canada are you located? Have you looked at the Husqvarna 340? For what you have said you will be doing around the cottage the 340 would likely work also. The 340 is also lighter and cost $100.00 less. Both the 340 and 55 are on sale now with a free carry case, pocket Knife, ball hat, and dvd.

Hey Hard Knocks,

I'm in BC, lowermainland. I was leaning towards the 55 because of the 20" bar you could get and the 3/8" chain pitch.....I heard the 3/8" chain pitch cuts better?....any thoughts on the 455 rancher....i seem to get the feeling people don't like it. Just wondering because i have a friend coming up from the states who could buy it down there for $380...here it's over $600.....not that the cdn dollar is strong i'm leaning towards a cross border purchase.

rob

I've had a 55R for five years. My wife bought me one for my birthday in 2002.
I like it a lot.
The air filter stays very clean, so I guess the air injection thingy whatever works.

I probably use it more than anything else, unless I have something big.
I also have a 044, a 038, ECS650 Tanaka and three old Homelites (heavy-loud and slow) They don't get out much.
Dan

When I was faced with a similar buying choice a couple years ago, I narrowed it down to the Husky 353 or 55 and choose the 353 - couldn't resist the higher-revving engine - think F1 Vs. NASCAR. :rock:

~3 years later, I have no regrets.

Hey Hard Knocks,

I'm in BC, lowermainland. I was leaning towards the 55 because of the 20" bar you could get and the 3/8" chain pitch.....I heard the 3/8" chain pitch cuts better?....any thoughts on the 455 rancher....i seem to get the feeling people don't like it. Just wondering because i have a friend coming up from the states who could buy it down there for $380...here it's over $600.....not that the cdn dollar is strong i'm leaning towards a cross border purchase.

rob

I believe the 55 and the 455 both are at their best with .325, provided it is Stihl RS or Oregon LP, but I can't prove it.
You loose quite a bit of torque with the 3/8", provided both sprockets are 7-pin, but you gain chain speed and resistance in the wood.

Hey Hard Knocks,

rob

If you want to run a 20" bar then you do want the bigger saw. The 55 and 455 both work well with 3/8" chain and 18" bar. I have sold many of both with 20" bar and 3/8 chain, but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on making full bar cuts on a regular basis.

The 455 has a bad reputation on here because people don't like the extra weight of the X-Torq engine and the plastic crankcase. Having said that I have not had one come back with any major problems and people who have actually purchased them and ran them seem to be happy with the performance and fuel savings. As for purchasing one in the states I would say go for it other than the fact that you will not have any warranty in Canada.

Hey Hard Knocks,

rob

Hey Newcottager, I was recently in about your same situation, I was looking for a Saw, and I didn't want a Wild Thing. I was looking for a 50-60cc Saw. I am just a homeowner, but I wanted something that would last me years. All the old Firewood guys had Jred's when I Was growing up, so I looked there, but Husqvarna is also a great Saw (well they are really the same company now) Themain use for me was to clear out a small portion of my back yard, and to also bring along with me when I go Hunting/fishing, and touring on the ATV. I also have a small Air tight stove at home, so I will likely cut maybe 1-2 cords of wood a year. I called the Local Jred dealer and asked about the 2159, but he had a 2152 (same as the Husky 353) and offered me a decent deal, since they had a few left in stock (550 tax in). He also had a 55 Rancher, but I didn't get the impression it was as Sturdy a saw as the 2152/353, it was much lighter and all plastic, plus the 55 rancher is not a pro saw, where the 2152/353 is.

I put an 18" Oregon bar and .325 pitch 21lp chain on it, and I just had the oppertunity to really throw some work at it, and I was quite impressed. For falling and bucking up small stuff (10-12") it fly's through it. But it can also handle the odd day of firewood cutting without breaking a sweat (at least mine did). I was running it side by Side with a Husky 365, and while that saw does have more torque, and can saw faster through bigger stuff, It was not like I was lagging behind, and I wasn't afraid to tackle any size log.

I'd suggest you look at the 353, I'm sure glad I did!! :chainsaw: But now I seem to be a Saw addict, and I want something bigger :rock:

I use both a Husky 55 and a 359. No problems with either, fine saws. 18 or 20" bar, 3/8 chain. makes lots of chips.

Since the 359 is a little more robust and has the newer features I'd buy it before I bought a 55 (or 455).

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/991

Baileys is out of stock but I think this was a great deal and if you call their 1-800 number they may have more coming in soon.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the ones you listed. They all made well.

Last edited:
My cutting buddy has been using a 55 for years. He loves the saw. Never lets him down. That 290 wouldn't let you down either. But its been said before, if your into that family of saws, go for the 390. about $50 more, but more power and the same weight.

My cutting buddy has been using a 55 for years. He loves the saw. Never lets him down. That 290 wouldn't let you down either. But its been said before, if your into that family of saws, go for the 390. about $50 more, but more power and the same weight.

Make that $150 or so more now.:dizzy:

Damn this site has lots of good information. Thanks again with all the info and suggestions....looks like the 55 or 353 husky will be the way i go and i'll probably get my old dolomar 111 serviced and kept as a back up...

I'd suggest you look at the 353, I'm sure glad I did!! :chainsaw: But now I seem to be a Saw addict, and I want something bigger :rock:

Sure the 353 is a very good saw, but by now I don't use it much - I guess I have become an addict of the faster saws.......:ices_rofl:

Jokes and addiction aside, the 353 looks like the perfect saw for the described needs, might even be slight over-kill.......

Specs are about the same as the Dolmar 111, but with much better anti-vibe and air filtration + some nice features.

The 55 is heavier and a much older design, probably not much of an improvement over the 111, if any - but still better than the original options.

Last edited:
The universe that has been dominated the last 30 years or so by high quality stihl chainsaws.

You mean high quality huskys stihl ain't made a decent saw yet.no I take that back they make a decent beater saw.

Back