Husky 555/562 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoeyrd2110

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys been a while since i've actively been involved or posted on here, things have changed and while still running a repiar business i work for someone else at the same time. oh yeah i got married too. but for the last 6 months i've worked at a husky/stihl dealer. been to the schools and such(stihl silver was like watching paint dry to me). in the last 6 months i've had 2 555's and two 562's replaced by husky for burned up cylinders. is there an inherent problem or bad run of those saws? i'm not bashing by any means but i want to see what other techs have seen because i'd love a 562 for my firewood duty, but after seeing this first hand im VERY hesitant as my old girls have done me no wrong just want to add a lighter saw in the 20"-24" range. you don't have to convince me to get the 562 or a 372 i know there great saws. just i bought a ford 1720 with FEL and don't need my gravely 2 wheel tractor and attachments anymore so my boss is letting me trade it in for credit on something and i don't want to have issues instead of cash or a good working firewood saw. thanks!

edit: also had 1 372 and 1 395 in the last 3 weeks with fuel lines worn thru and cylinders toast within 3 tanks! maybe it's just my area

I haven't hardly seen a problem here to be worried. Do you have any idea why they were replaced in the first place?

i ran all the diag software. sent pictures. and without an arguement husky just replaced the units. just like that. which isn't bad from a customers standpoint but husky won't pay labor for a vac test if the computer test doesn't show anything they assume it leaks and air and just replace the unit instead of putting on a P/C and cost of shop labor

the 372 and 395 did get new p/c's and carbs though

the more i think about it i should try to vac test at lunch if i can steal one off the warranty shelf for a bit

making me feel better definetly not sold yet until i get to the bottom of it though. then it's the question of 562 or 372

I picked one up a while back that was scored on the intake side... I passed it on to another AS member. I didn't have time to mess with it.

I wasn't trying to imply that the saws are unreliable or prone to failure. I think they're very good saws, and really like the one I've got. I plugged the decomp as a precautionary measure. I don't use it anyways.

ST i totally agree just wanted to test the waters as it doesn't look like it's been brought up much recently most of the threads are years old. Just thought it wierd for husky to not call them back or even want a vac test. which makes me think they know theres a batch of some bad part on a run of saws and there just replacing them (as they should) no questions asked to keep everyone happy and not tarnish a great saw for a defect in manufacturing on a small batch. But as a tech i don't have a bulletin or even a nod nod wink wink from the tech guys on the phone. makes me uneasy thats all. and since i can't get myself to buy a stihl and we don't sell dolmar i'm stuck with husky and doing my research

Do you have the manufacturing dates from the saws that were replaced? If it was a bad batch, would they have similar build dates?

I just remembered that I talked to a guy a couple weeks back who had one burn up, and our local dealer replaced it,no questions asked, with a new one. Next time I see him I'll ask him for details...

the 562's were '12s i believe, but the 555's were only 6 months old. well depends on the problem with build dates. if it's the decomps it could come and go on different runs depending which container of decomps they used and if they even knew they were bad at the time.( i spent time working in pharma packaging same issue so many variables and hard to track) but they should be commended for the quick replacements and keeping me from angry customers.

Let's think of this another way. Let's just assume that it costs Husqvarna $400 to produce a 562xp. A customer brings in a toasted 562 still fresh in warranty. The regular culprits don't seem to be at play, straight gas, faulty electronics, etc. At ths point they have two options, pay shop rate to diagnose what caused it to fail, pay shop rate to do the rebuild, pay shop rate to test the rebuild, pay to ship parts that they paid to manufacture, and hope that the tech did everything perfect and the saw will have no other problems. Or they just ship out a brand new saw, the customer is thrilled, the dealer is thrilled as it doesn't take up shop time, and Husqvarna can request the saw back where they can go over it and examine it for faulty manufacturing or design flaws.

Either way the parent company absorbs about the same cost but it looks better to most end users, the consumer. I do shop work for a Husqvarna dealer and havent seen any out of the ordinary failures recently, all user error lately. Just another take on the matter :)

Let's think of this another way. Let's just assume that it costs Husqvarna $400 to produce a 562xp. A customer brings in a toasted 562 still fresh in warranty. The regular culprits don't seem to be at play, straight gas, faulty electronics, etc. At ths point they have two options, pay shop rate to diagnose what caused it to fail, pay shop rate to do the rebuild, pay shop rate to test the rebuild, pay to ship parts that they paid to manufacture, and hope that the tech did everything perfect and the saw will have no other problems. Or they just ship out a brand new saw, the customer is thrilled, the dealer is thrilled as it doesn't take up shop time, and Husqvarna can request the saw back where they can go over it and examine it for faulty manufacturing or design flaws.

Either way the parent company absorbs about the same cost but it looks better to most end users, the consumer. I do shop work for a Husqvarna dealer and havent seen any out of the ordinary failures recently, all user error lately. Just another take on the matter :)

i've worked on alot of saws over the years and the only reason i mentioned this was because these seem out of the ordinary to me husky is usually pretty good. i agree completely on the way they handle it. makes life easier on everyone that way. but if theres a problem i should be looking for or can catch before they burn up i would like to know. and escpecially before i buy one

i've worked on alot of saws over the years and the only reason i mentioned this was because these seem out of the ordinary to me husky is usually pretty good. i agree completely on the way they handle it. makes life easier on everyone that way. but if theres a problem i should be looking for or can catch before they burn up i would like to know. and escpecially before i buy one
Agreed, if you do come up with something let us know. It could make lots of lives a little bit easier. I just find that most days I have to remind myself that when I hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

I don't know anything more of this matter (if it even deserves to be called that).

As we all should know, decomp valves sometimes do go bad on any saw that has them. The only way to eliminate the risk is to use the plug instead of the valve......

Latest posts

Back