Husky blows up the aftermarket cylinder world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of notes guys.

First, prices are unchanged. I just ordered some more kits. The letter that someone referred to was the standard letter that went out before the end of the year announcing the annual price increase. Lot's of prices did go up, but on this stuff the party continues. Seems that they have really targeted the parts that are popular in the aftermarket world. Been finding other examples that surprised me.

There are plenty of 576 kits down there, so that info was not correct. I have one or two. Same for the 272 kits. Seems like a bunch of you guys are bringing those saws back to life, which is good to see. :) Been selling them for $130 shipped.

357 kits are still only available with the auto deco, and there's not too many down there. . 346, 372, and 372XPW kits are seriously wiped at Husky. (I've got plenty of both 372 and moderate on the 346). They are in good shape on 385 and 390 kits. But what we need to keep an eye on here are the backorder dates, which are just about all in mid March. If they stick to them. So, while it doesn't look like the party's going to end, there's going to be a "break in the action" til they restock themselves.

I discovered that some kits, like the 372's didn't have the little bags sealed so some went out with circlips that got away. I'm checking them all now and sealing the bags.

I appreciate you guys being patient with me getting them out. Thankfully most of these are not urgent projects. Still got the store and the property to run here. And people are freaking about the big weekend storm that we're probably not even going to get.

OK, I have a question on these. If you are going to grind on a 357 (one that needs a top end anyway), would it be better for a rookie to use the 359 kit then?

The removable transfer covers on the 359 jug definitely make it easier to get to things in there like the upper transfers. And I think there's more you can do on the 359 than on the 357, which really doesn't need much. Bet we'll get a spirited debate going here as to which one has the most potential. LOL

Personally, if you are a rookie, I'd practice on the dead one before I did the new one. That's what I did until I got comfortable. Even if it's not a salvageable jug, you could still experiment with it.

They both cost the same $120, so it's a toss up as far as the money goes.

The removable transfer covers on the 359 jug definitely make it easier to get to things in there like the upper transfers. And I think there's more you can do on the 359 than on the 357, which really doesn't need much. Bet we'll get a spirited debate going here as to which one has the most potential. LOL
I like the quality of the 357 jug better, but there is more potential in the 359 when porting.

I have a dead 359 P&C if ya want it. Just PM your address. Would be good to practice on.

Thanks, don't know if I need one yet or not. Got a 357 at the pawn shop, but letting my friend at the husky dealership check it out for leaks, etc first, so I don't know if it needs cylinder and piston yet. I fired it up and ran it for three seconds, that's it. He's much better at finding leaks than I am, it is worth a small labor charge to me to find out. I was just thinking from what I have read here, the 359 jug is easier to work on, while the 357 bottom end has the crank stuffers. Plus, no auto decomp dealie on the 359.

I went to GKS again today to pick up some parts and order more parts...

I was talking to my tech/parts guy there about the new prices. I offered my theories as to why Husky slashed prices and he then told me what he had heard... He was told that Husky's policy on warrantee work as to how they decide if they will repair or replace a saw is 55% of the cost of the saw. Turns out, they wanted to reduce the amount of saws replaced under warrantee due to repair parts totaling 55% of the saws price. So now with lower OEM parts pricing, they will be fixing more saws instead of doing full replacements. You can imagine with the old prices how easily a saw requiring a new P&C could get close to that 55% line....

Thought you guys might find this interesting....

I went to GKS again today to pick up some parts and order more parts...

I was talking to my tech/parts guy there about the new prices. I offered my theories as to why Husky slashed prices and he then told me what he had heard... He was told that Husky's policy on warrantee work as to how they decide if they will repair or replace a saw is 55% of the cost of the saw. Turns out, they wanted to reduce the amount of saws replaced under warrantee due to repair parts totaling 55% of the saws price. So now with lower OEM parts pricing, they will be fixing more saws instead of doing full replacements. You can imagine with the old prices how easily a saw requiring a new P&C could get close to that 55% line....

Thought you guys might find this interesting....

Well, rebuilding rather than replacing some new saws will be a by-product of this but it is not the reason prices have come down.

Most of these saws are no longer in production and haven't been for several years. 346, 372 etc. Pretty sure there are no more 272's out there that are still under warranty. :)

That theory also doesn't explain why parts such as air filters and mufflers have also dropped to more realistic prices.

If I had some spare cash I would have ordered several kits for different projects. And if nothing else just to have if I needed them.

That's good to see some movement there. Just checked with mine though and they haven't changed yet.
only cylinder set they lowered the price on for us is the 346.....we have a sad excuse for a distributor....they are wanting us to comb thru the price files and tell them what prices need changed...like we have time to do their job for them.

Latest posts

Back