Husky blows up the aftermarket cylinder world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it begins....so now the question is to "stock up" and assume this is short term....or just settle down and not "run the bank" and gamble these prices are here to stay.... is a game changer for "DIY" types as now building saws like 372's & 346's have become really affordable. changes the metrics... what new saw can you buy for the price of a freshened up 372 that will be as capable? A top end and set of case seals.....carb kit and fuel line.... on an old 372.. And coupled with the ease these things come apart to work on. Game changer. I like it..:)

Perhaps they are following the Honda strategy.
Honda spare parts, be them lawn mower blades, air filters or engine parts, are ridiculously cheap in the US. A genuine carburetor for the ubiquitous GCV160 engine is $20 in the US and €68 here! :envy:
Yes, there are differences between the two due to emission regulation, but enough to justify over three times the price?
I suspect the chief reason behind this is in the US there's a lot more DIY culture. People are much more inclined to fix their machines at home instead of going to a shop where they may be told it ain't worth fixing because spare parts are so expensive. If parts were too expensive, Honda would play even more into the hands of aftermarket manufacturers, interestingly enough all located in a certain place where patents are worth as much as Monopoly money. :D
I see your point, but there is a reason why there is bigger culture to fix chainsaws in US compared to us.
346 NE c&p cost 2500 NOK, having one mechanicer to do the job + remaining parts... . new 550xpg cost 7200 NOK here, it's not difficult to understand why there is no culture here, it's not difficult to understand why sweeties like 242/254xpg's get trown in the bin over here.
If we take the price spike60 operate with, we are speaking about 990 NOK just to set things in perspective.

I am not saying this to speak down on Husky Norway, they have a lot of things who is NLA in US.

One thing is for certain, I will never understand why Europe made items should be super cheap in US, while we stock up items they crave for, and still not make them avaible for them.....

I'm in a similar spot with a blower, as ModifiedMark. I have some early model EbZ8500 (580 Husky) carcases here, with the melted through pistons (.61 main jet).
After you round up the air pipes and a few misc things, the$275~ish for a short block
has been a deal killer for putting one back together.

I briefly considered trying to clean up a better looking cylinder and work from there.
But then looking at the spray of aluminum oxide that went through the bottom end and all three of the bearings Sort of put me off of it.
The big end bearing of the connecting rod is the snag in reusing the original bottom end.

So it begins....so now the question is to "stock up" and assume this is short term....or just settle down and not "run the bank" and gamble these prices are here to stay.... is a game changer for "DIY" types as now building saws like 372's & 346's have become really affordable. changes the metrics... what new saw can you buy for the price of a freshened up 372 that will be as capable? A top end and set of case seals.....carb kit and fuel line.... on an old 372.. And coupled with the ease these things come apart to work on. Game changer. I like it..:)

I agree. I have two 2159's and a 372X-torq that I will probably build now. I've been on the fence about the Hiway 359 kit and just couldn't do it. With these prices on OEM, it's a no brainer.

I did a call to Husqvarna Norway, spoked with the one who doing prices, there is no sign that Norway are included, probleby just US.
That said, when one land get all the benefits I think it make the rest of Husqvarna group question why only US, why not the rest of the world.
He should come and read through this thread.

Personally I stick to my dealer even it's tempting to buy from US.

I still think there's a 50/50 chance this is just a mistake, in which case these prices might be a short term deal.

On the other hand, the 372 air filter dropped down to a more realistic $17 from the inflated $30 it was at.

Really no way to tell where this is going yet; it's only been a couple days.

Very simple. At least here Husqvarna was seeing their network fall to pieces because of insanely high spare prices and an inflexible pricing policy.
Dealers have to put food on the table like everybody else so they had been switching to Stihl and Echo/Shindaiwa to keep their customers, chiefly gardening/tree servicing firms.
No problems here, as the only surviving Husqvarna dealership in the area would manage to mark up even the cheapest, nastiest Chinese saw to Stihl levels and charge you as much as a Ferrari dealership for parts and service. No small wonder they started selling electric vehicles to stay in business. :D

Now, if only Honda would price spares here at the same level as in the US...

Where in Europe is that? It certainly isn't like that here!

I still think there's a 50/50 chance this is just a mistake, in which case these prices might be a short term deal.
yes, it can happen by a mistake and can be over by a month, it was for sure a shock for Husqvarna Norway.
I doubt that any country dealer will accept that US get the same oem part for 1/2 the price compared to any european land, not on long run.

I would day you are busy today taking cylinder orders. I just tried to call and kept getting line busy signal. Lol

Howdy,
Pretty interesting move on their part. It'll probably only weed out the people selling AM that buy from a guy who buys from a guy who buys from the guy. There's substantial margins especially with the USD gaining strength. The OE's will just have to get used to making 100% margins, instead of 200% margins.
Regards
Gregg

Where in Europe is that? It certainly isn't like that here!

Northern Italy. I was recently reminded of that when ordering parts for a Zenoah hedge trimmer and a Husqvarna lawn tractor.
88€ for a single blade and 51€ for a pulley... then people speak ill of BMW! :D

yes, it can happen by a mistake and can be over by a month, it was for sure a shock for Husqvarna Norway.
I doubt that any country dealer will accept that US get the same oem part for 1/2 the price compared to any european land, not on long run.

If you think that's bad, you've never worked around motorcycles. Spares for Japanese bikes are ridiculously cheap in the US by European standards. Half price is the norm and has been for a very long time.

Northern Italy. I was recently reminded of that when ordering parts for a Zenoah hedge trimmer and a Husqvarna lawn tractor.
88€ for a single blade and 51€ for a pulley... then people speak ill of BMW! :D

If you think that's bad, you've never worked around motorcycles. Spares for Japanese bikes are ridiculously cheap in the US by European standards. Half price is the norm and has been for a very long time.
Lots of stuff are ridiculously cheap in the US vs. in other parts of the world - nothing new with that.

1/2 true, on long run you will end up with grey import. This is internet, information get always spread. Even done totally legal, it's good business buying from spike60.

Meanwhile, North of the border...
Called my just varna dealer today and got some prices.

New dealer, nothing in Stock, latest prices are...

544 14 29-07 - 346xp cylinder kit $375
503 62 64-73 - 372xp cylinder kit $405

I feel bad for them, they aren't jacking up the prices THAT much.

Looks like I will soon have the pleasure of dealing with Ashokan Turf and Timber

On the other hand, the 372 air filter dropped down to a more realistic $17 from the inflated $30 it was at.

Really no way to tell where this is going yet; it's only been a couple days.
Just bought one for 372, and 385. Uggg

1/2 true, on long run you will end up with grey import. This is internet, information get always spread. Even done totally legal, it's good business buying from spike60.

Indeed, but always remember the average Joe has no idea how to hold a screwdriver, so official dealers will always make a living.
As far as I know I am the only person in the area regularly buying parts (for everything) from the US and Japan. I personally favor the latter because the exchange rate is more favorable, shipping is cheaper and custom duties lower but, say, Stihl parts are not available from there and the local dealer always gives me a decent rebate.

Meanwhile, North of the border...
Called my just varna dealer today and got some prices.

New dealer, nothing in Stock, latest prices are...

544 14 29-07 - 346xp cylinder kit $375
503 62 64-73 - 372xp cylinder kit $405

I feel bad for them, they aren't jacking up the prices THAT much.

Looks like I will soon have the pleasure of dealing with Ashokan Turf and Timber

Those are list prices, and one has to understand the dealer level that there local dealer is at with respect to margins. At the shop 372 p/c's go at $299, and yes I still get to eat bacon with that.

Latest posts

Back