Husky blows up the aftermarket cylinder world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks WC90 wasn't too far off with his comment about his dealer being greedy!

Hamish, if I recall correctly you're a husky dealer, correct? Have you looked into your system and found a price change out our is it a case of us canucks getting left out of the fun again?

Those are list prices, and one has to understand the dealer level that there local dealer is at with respect to margins. At the shop 372 p/c's go at $299, and yes I still get to eat bacon with that.

That's a good point, I'm talking to a new dealer in a small town, hardly fair to compare to a juggernaut like spike60 and the volume he probable moves.

Husky announced to dealers well ahead of time that there would be the usual parts price increase on Jan 1st. So, when I got back to the store today I went into the dealer site to see how bad it was going to be. Most stuff went up as expected, but what they did with the piston and cylinder kits just about knocked me off the chair in front of the computer. Prices are now comparable with much of the aftermarket kits. In some cases better than the upper end kits from Meteor, HiWay and Baileys. They really don't cost me much more than some of the lower end garbage kits do. Some have gone down over $100. I'm told it's not a mistake and that sources have not changed. But I still get that "I hope this lasts" feeling that won't go away. I even just went back in to check them again. LOL! But, as long as the party lasts, you can get the OEM kits for about what the aftermarket kits are selling for. From some dealers anyway. ;)

Now, this is on the complete piston and cylinder kits. The piston prices really didn't change that much; dropped maybe $5-$10. So, there are a lot of instances where the complete kit only costs $30-$40 more than just buying the piston.

I'll be ordering some tomorrow..........

I like it...I would much rather to one stop shopping that order the top end from another place....

One benefit I see is that dealers may get more repair jobs since the cost of parts and installation may no longer exceed the cost of a new saw.

Is it possible that enough dealers made the case to Husqvarna that they are losing needed business in repairs due to the cost of OEM parts and this is the result?? If enough wheels squeak, the grease gun inevitably does come out.

Either way, you make a good point.

Actually with the last price increase its $457 CDN.

i have a receipt in my receipt bin. i'm gonna go dig it out. i definitely recall it being north of $600 before tax. was warranty so i don't give a **** but that's just rediculous.

dang, just found the receipt but the top end kit isn't on it. maybe the dealer just showed me what it costs on the computer and it wasn't actually added to the receipt because it is a warranty item. it was north of $600 before tax though. i remember saying WTF!!!!

apparently husky doesnt like jred dealers. 2188/390 cylinders still have a list of $312 and 2172/372 cylinders are $353
I also just checked the Redmax distributor and came up with the same prices as my jred.

I think it's likely being done to compete with the growing supply of cheap aftermarket parts and I'm sure Husky won't be losing money , maybe not the profit margin but if you sell more for less you win in the end or should .

I wonder what parts might have jumped , I'm betting they did a bit of bumping on some to average the prices .

In a supply/demand market, a company has to be somewhat competitive unless they have exclusivity. With the aftermarket continuously expanding to fill voids, someone at Husky recognized they were going to miss the bus if they don't make some changes.

In a supply/demand market, a company has to be somewhat competitive unless they have exclusivity. With the aftermarket continuously expanding to fill voids, someone at Husky recognized they were going to miss the bus if they don't make some changes.
I would agree if this was across the board but thus far it seems only in the US. I hope it does happen in all markets.

I would agree if this was across the board but thus far it seems only in the US. I hope it does happen in all markets.
Keep in mind the size of the markets, just the state of California has a larger population than the entire nation of Canada. Then there's the other 49 states... The USA probably consumes more ope than the rest of the world combined.

We all know how important the US marked is and the amount it swallow.
This change in price make me think that stock is to high over there and they sure want to get it to move.
I dont think this will affect any european dealer, but if I was a canadian dealer I would worry

We all know how important the US marked is and the amount it swallow.
This change in price make me think that stock is to high over there and they sure want to get it to move.
I dont think this will affect any european dealer, but if I was a canadian dealer I would worry

Not much to worry about in my area no real husky dealers. We tend not to repair husky saws just for that reason, where to get the OEM parts from? Dealer support is a big factor in my area.

Keep in mind the size of the markets, just the state of California has a larger population than the entire nation of Canada. Then there's the other 49 states... The USA probably consumes more ope than the rest of the world combined.
CONSUME!!!!!!

Canadian dealers are greedy. Everything is so expensive it's rediculous. When the stihl pistons dropped in cost I expected to see it here. No such thing. It really is time to just order everything state side. Give the dealers here a reason the charge so much. A 372XT P/C here costs as much as a whole saw state side.
Very True,,,, Sad but true,,, sheesh:crazy2:

Latest posts

Back