husky ignition swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58hydraglide

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a few junk saws at the husky dealer awhile ago, one being a 272xp. It had ascored piston and some missing parts. the cylinder cleaned up well and I installed a new gb piston, but i'm lacking the igniition assembly. I have a spare 61 coil and module that physically will fit. Has anyone tried this swap or vice versa. the newer 272 pickup is mounted in the same physical location as the 61 but are there any known differences, like flywheel timing? Also one other question, what is the difference between a 394 and 394 xp? is it just build date or are there more significant differences? Thanks all

I didn't know there was a plain 394???

Not sure, if the 61 coil will work, you could just put it on and give it a go. There are a bunch of 272xp coils on ebay.

I just put a 272xp together a couple weeks ago. And I got a coil for it from thechainsawguy, he is on here, you could ask him too.

thanks parris,
Maybe there isnt, I'm watching a 394 xp that has a cracked crankcase, and Ive got a crankcase assy. that is labeled 394 on the tag. all of my other xp models are labeled XP on the tag.

58Hydraglyde, I've owned 11 of the 394 family and I personally don't know if there is a difference anywhere.I will go out on a limb and say the plain 394 is an early model.What I think I know about xp saws has to do with porting.The 394 ports I remember don't go into the crankcase, closed port?I have swapped all parts interchangeably without any noticeable problems.

272 coil

Taking a look closely at the 272 cases and the 266 61 cases for parrisw. They differ a bit where the new style puts the coil, it is hollowed out more for the fatter coil. I also saw a picture of someone trying to put the new one piece coil on the older saw and it would not go because it was not hollowed out. Now it may be possible to use the old ignition system on the newer 272, but only if the flywheels are the same. iI do have some good used coils if you need one. The 394 cases are all the same as far as I have heard. Never seen any differences. Dave.

Latest posts

Back