husky limiter caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MAG, thanks for the info and posting pictures. I didn't even think about pulling them out so that the wing would clear when turned ... That is what you are doing right?

Oh yes, they do have a purpose, and that is that the jet-screw shell not adjust them-self. There are some plastic clips around the limiter's, and they are there for keeping the jet-screw tight so they don't self-adjust under vibration's.

I think their purpose is also to keep people that don't know how to adjust a carb, from locking motors ... since they can only be turned so much either way ..

MAG, thanks for the info and posting pictures. I didn't even think about pulling them out so that the wing would clear when turned ... That is what you are doing right?

The limiter caps can be turned, maybe that can be a bit hard, but I do that also. You can turn the jet-screw through the hole in the limiter cap, and that is the easy way to do it, if you have a good screwdriver that go through the hole in the limiter cap.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I think their purpose is also to keep people that don't know how to adjust a carb, from locking motors ... since they can only be turned so much either way ..

Yes that right, but do you think they pull everything apart if they just need to mow the limiter cap a little bit? There is no need for that the way this limiter cap's are constructed.

Last edited:
FLIPPED OUT limiter cap

The limiter caps can be turned if you have a good screwdriver that go through the hole in the limiter cap. Use the screwdriver to hold the jet-screw steady while you turned the limiter cap (here are the red limiter cap flipped out). This photo is from my Jred 2135T.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
MAG, thanks for the info and posting pictures. I didn't even think about pulling them out so that the wing would clear when turned ... That is what you are doing

Well when the limiter cap is flipped out a bit, the wing would not be clear but the thing is that they are clear the locking track's on the jet-screw so you can turn the jet-screw or the limiter cap.
BINGO.:crazy1:

Sorry for the abscence but I have been out of town. I am home now and need to adjust for the new non-cat muffler. How do you pry the caps off? I pried them out but there is not enough clearance to remove them. Do you have to remove the carb. in order to remove the caps? I really want to remove them, modify new ones and then reinstall them.

Sorry for the abscence but I have been out of town. I am home now and need to adjust for the new non-cat muffler. How do you pry the caps off? I pried them out but there is not enough clearance to remove them. Do you have to remove the carb. in order to remove the caps? I really want to remove them, modify new ones and then reinstall them.

No you don't have to remove them, why should you? You can tune the carb jets or you can turn the limiter cap when you have flipped them out so they are clear the locking track's on the jet-screw. If you have problem whit what I have explain, just keep asking and I will try to explain it better and take some more photo for you ;)
attachment.php

Well when the limiter cap is flipped out a bit, the wing would not be clear but the thing is that they are clear the locking track's on the jet-screw so you can turn the jet-screw or the limiter cap.
BINGO.:crazy1:

I see what you mean now ... you're just saying to get a small screwdriver after prying .. no?

I understand what you are saying. I am able to do that. I just wanted to replace the caps with modified ones so you wouldn't ever have to worry about the caps again (in case you needed to move them around for more adjustment). I just don't understand how to remove the caps in the first place. It does not seem there is enough clearance (see above pic - "black block" that the screwdriver passes through) without removing the carb from the saw.

I understand what you are saying. I am able to do that. I just wanted to replace the caps with modified ones so you wouldn't ever have to worry about the caps again (in case you needed to move them around for more adjustment). I just don't understand how to remove the caps in the first place. It does not seem there is enough clearance (see above pic - "black block" that the screwdriver passes through) without removing the carb from the saw.

I can tell you this, there in no problem to remove them. What i do is that after the "brake in period" I adjust the jet's and set the limiter cap in middle position and then I can adjust the jets if I need to.

MAG,

What type of screwdriver is that? Last night I went out and modded my 350's muffler and the only screwdriver I had that was small enough was for a pair of eyeglasses and it was a pain to turn the needle through the limiter. I like that one in your picture as it has a decent size handle and what not ... Thx

MAG,

What type of screwdriver is that? Last night I went out and modded my 350's muffler and the only screwdriver I had that was small enough was for a pair of eyeglasses and it was a pain to turn the needle through the limiter. I like that one in your picture as it has a decent size handle and what not ... Thx

The screwdriver (2mm) is of the type that they use for fine-mechanical work, and you got some "radio screwdriver" like that. But if you have a good tool-store around, get one of good quality.

The limiter caps can be turned, maybe that can be a bit hard, but I do that also. You can turn the jet-screw through the hole in the limiter cap, and that is the easy way to do it, if you have a good screwdriver that go through the hole in the limiter cap.
attachment.php

So you're saying the screw itself will turn while the limiter cap is trying to stop it? Just curious. Thanks.

I still don't like the idea of prying on those caps and risking damaging something. I would feel better just whittling away the plastic wings with my Dremel so they can be adjusted normally.

I've messed with those dang "splined" screws on Poulan products. My solution is to take a scratch awl with a fine point and tap it in with a rubber mallet, then I can usually get it to turn.

Note: Since I trashed the limiters on my little Echo I can't get the thing to run worth a crap.

I just pulled straight out with a pair of needle-nose pliers. They came right off with no damage to the needles. I've run the saw for 2 hours since I pulled the caps off and the needles have not moved.

I'll continue to moniter the needle position, but I'm confident that they won't move by themselves. I won't be putting the caps back on.

JQ

Back