Husky359 vs Stihl 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new saw. I get a great deal on stihl saws. My newxt new one will most likely be a Stihl. So here is the question. I already have a Husky 359. It's all stock and seems to run very. I have a 16" bar on it soi it doesn't bog much at all. Will I notice enough of a difference getting a 362? I know the saws are close in cc. Overall is it that much better? Everybody says these saws are the best I just don't want to be disappointed. This saw will be fitting in the mix with a

460 mag
365 with big bore kit
Husky 359
Dolmar 5100

Thanks Scott

Last edited:
The 362 is a nice saw but if you have a good 359 now, I think it will be VERY hard to justify the extra $$$.
If it is a matter of WANT versus NEED, then by all means get yourself a 362.

Mike

Looking the saws you have now...

why dont you get a 261 instead of the 362...;)

If it has to be a Stihl, look for a MS361, not a 362! :msp_smile:

That one will be lighter than a 359, in addition to stronger.

Is the 261 better then the 5100s I have?

Scott

It says Stihl on it, so yes...:clap::msp_biggrin::msp_wink:

No better numbers seem very similar...but the dealer network is where I would choose the 261 over the 5100...

Fine if your gonna be that way, why not get yourself a MS200 (rear handle)...:msp_biggrin:

I can feel a pretty good difference in a 362 -vs- a 359 power-wise.

Even a 361 has a little more power than a 359. But it really isnt enough to spend that kind of cash unless you just want one.

362 does'nt get much respect around here because it gained a pound over the 361. It's got more power than a 361 also. I can feel it most in the low end torque. I think it's a well balanced saw with a 20" bar on it. Feels good in the hands.
A muffler modded 362 will run right with a stock 440.

Last edited:
It says Stihl on it, so yes...:clap::msp_biggrin::msp_wink:

No better numbers seem very similar...but the dealer network is where I would choose the 261 over the 5100...

Fine if your gonna be that way, why not get yourself a MS200 (rear handle)...:msp_biggrin:

I have 2 dolmar dealers within 10 miles of me. And aniother 30miles away. I would love a 200 rear handle. I have 200ts. They are great saws.

I have 2 dolmar dealers within 10 miles of me. And aniother 30miles away. I would love a 200 rear handle. I have 200ts. They are great saws.

AND you dont list that size saw in your signature...PERFECT!!:rock:

Read MCW's post on the 261, or pm him.
I do agree with Troll on this one, if you can find a 361, I'd rather run it than a 362.
We do the same kind of work you do, the 361 which is only muffler modded see's more use than anyone of our other saws.
We bought a 261 an it is seeing a ton of use. I pulled the limiters and retuned the saw this week and it makes a fantastic limbing and bucking saw on wood up to 18" or so. We're running a 18" bar set up with .325 and although we love our 346 the 261 is just a stronger saw, imho. I plan on adding another one before fall. I've ran 359's and I think they are one of Huskies best values, it's a great firewood saw. If I was going to buy a Stihl, and couldn't find a 361, I'd buy the 261, jerk the limiters, muffler mod it and you'll have a great saw for cleaning up tops and bucking them to size.
It is the smoothest saw you'll ever run. If I were set on a 362 size saw, I would just buy a new MS440, there is hardly any difference in weight and a whole lot more power.
I used to disagree with guys on 70cc saws for fire wooding when the 361 was still available, but now my perfect combo would be a 440/261 set up since the 440 is back.

I can feel a pretty good difference in a 362 -vs- a 359 power-wise.

Even a 361 has a little more power than a 359. But it really isnt enough to spend that kind of cash unless you just want one.

362 does'nt get much respect around here because it gained a pound over the 361. It's got more power than a 361 also. I can feel it most in the low end torque. I think it's a well balanced saw with a 20" bar on it. Feels good in the hands.

The 362 doesn't have more power than the Euro 361 - and they all have a good bit more power than a stock 359. The MS341 is more comparable to the 359, than the 361 is. ;)

The 362 doesn't have more power than the Euro 361 - and they all have a good bit more power than a stock 359. The MS341 is more comparable to the 359, than the 361 is. ;)

Do tell Trolly?

Just how many 359s have you had your little paws upon?

I would guess the "Euro" version of the 359 to be a good bit stronger than the EPA one eh?

The 359 is the same everywhere, except for cat vs. ordinary muffler.

I swapped out the my 359's stock EPA cat muffler and cut the the carb limiters for a tune on tuesday and there is a signifigant power gain.. I was cutting 30" elm today and it rock and rolled...:msp_w00t: Tommorow will be big dead Russian Olive can't wait....

Last edited:

What?! Are?! You?! Smoking?! ;)

But seriously, you have an MM'd 362 that can pull a 28" bar thru 36" worth of Fir like this 044(totally stock without an MM) can do at 2:00?

YouTube - Husqvarna 372xp VS STIHL 044 VS Dolmar 7900/Makita 7901 FIGHT!

To the OP - Personally, I think all this 60cc talk is just squabbling. They are all more-or-less the same after an MM. Get whichever is more affordable for you, assuming you MUST have a new saw. If I were you, I would be porting one of those 'real' saws that you have ;) That would be money well spent, looking at your line up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back