Husquarna 455 @ lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ich00

Reaction score
I was at my local Lowes earlier and found a husqvarna 455 rancher chainsaw marked "as is" on the tag, but still listed the retail price of 399.99. I didn't have time to wait for a manager to find out what they could take off the price, but was able to take a look at the saw. It looked as though it may have been used, the bar had some scuffing, there was no blade included, and smelled like gas, although the tank was empty. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should try and haggle this down to? I'm sure that Lowes has a standard markdown policy or at least a guide, but since it was clearly used I'm not sure whattto try and get it at. I appreciate any help.

Does it run? Assuming that it runs, even $399.99 is a rip and a half considering what the saw lacks . What we don't know about it also matters. Sounds suspicious to me. It's not like box stores to put "used" items on the floor.

Last edited:
I was at my local Lowes earlier and found a husqvarna 455 rancher chainsaw marked "as is" on the tag, but still listed the retail price of 399.99. I didn't have time to wait for a manager to find out what they could take off the price, but was able to take a look at the saw. It looked as though it may have been used, the bar had some scuffing, there was no blade included, and smelled like gas, although the tank was empty. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should try and haggle this down to? I'm sure that Lowes has a standard markdown policy or at least a guide, but since it was clearly used I'm not sure whattto try and get it at. I appreciate any help.

There are much better saws out there, but the 455 is reliable and will last a homeowner many years.

I would offer him $150. You will probably be surprised at the result. If it doesn't work, I'm sure you can return it (HEHEHE!). Lots of these saws are bought, used to cut whatever it needed, and returned with phantom issues.

If you want a Rancher why buy a sold as is used one without a chain for $399 when you can buy a brand new one with a warranty on the shelf for $399

Why not try to help him? He obviously knows this.

I don't mean him specifically, i mean Lowe's thinking someone is gonna buy a used one for the price of a new one.
Obviously he knows that thats why he asked what he should haggle them down to.

Last edited:
Tried to rep you Saw Troll, but I have to spread some around first. Best advice yet, run from that saw and buy at a servicing dealer.
I would run from that saw personally, your buying a pig in a poke.

Lowe's also has a VERY liberal mark down policy. A friend walked out w/ a scratch and dent front load washing-machine for $10 (ten dollars), the only problem was the top cover was missing, but it functions perfectly. Those things sell for up and over a grand around here so that was ~1% or retail give or take.

I'd start real low, and see what they come back at you with... heck it probably runs, just some HO rocked the chain, or put it on backward, or... (all things my ex father-in-law did to his Lowe's husky saw). Heck we could all use a "loaner' saw for THAT friend we all have.

dw

Tried to rep you Saw Troll, but I have to spread some around first. Best advice yet, run from that saw and buy at a servicing dealer.
I would run from that saw personally, your buying a pig in a poke.

I wouldn't want a 455 either, even if free, but each to their own....:msp_smile:

op, find a manager, tell them the markdown tag is missing from the saw. Ask them what they are selling it for and if they know why it is in the condition it is in? When items are returned, there are usually reasons listed for the return. It is possible this saw was one of those "free rentals" where someone buys an item, uses it, then returns it for refund naming some lame excuse. Maybe the chain broke while the saw was being used or whatever. Anyway, despite all the naysayers, if you can get it cheap enough, it may be a good opportunity. Much of the time these returns are returned to the vendor or just crushed in the compacting dumpster. So who knows what the story is on it. You do need to deal with a manager though as the typical employee won't have the authority to do anything about it...

Gee, for $399 there are frequently good Stihl 044's on this site for sale for well under that. Usually $300-$375 from reputable members. I wouldn't give more than $100 for that 455 and only that because I could sell it cheap and still make money. They're not a bad homeowner saw I hear, but anyone that's been on this forum quickly learns how to buy a better saw for less than full retail.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I wasn't really planning on purchasing the 455, I just happened to be in the store and saw this particular one. I am in the market for a new saw, I've been using my father-in-law's 032av for the past year, but have started looking around for my own, with a range of $300-$350. A friend has the 455 and loves it. I'm going to go back today and see if I can get it for $150-$200, otherwise my search will continue.

Forget the 455 and check out all the HD rental centers in your area for a makita 6401 or 6421. I just seen a 6421 for $250.00 last week at the HD @ 75 and 12mile Rd in Southern Michigan.
They are beasts and the cheapest pro saw you can find.

Latest posts

Back