Husqvarna 162SE. PLEASE HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it was blown down in high winds. It was a live tree, but not sure how healthy as the roots broke away from the trunk. First oak I've seen blown over that didn't pull up a lot of roots. I have a couple of photos one sort of shows the base. Not sure anything is feeding it anymore. It's been down 2 weeks so it's still green, not dried out and hard as a rock. My brothers place is outside Lake City, you'll find it on the map where I-75 and I-10 cross.

The 6401 that was mentioned I rent from Home Depot is a 64cc saw from what they told me. My Husqvarna 162SE is a 61.5cc saw. Is an extra 2.5cc's really going to make the kind of difference worth me renting it?

Here's a link to a photo of the tree before most of the work. I couldn't get it to upload here so use this link.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm76/bcoverss/SANY0115.jpg

Not worth the rental price, you could use a big saw like a Stihl 084,088, 070 or 090 with a long bar around 40-48" or a HUSKY 394,395 or even a Jonsered 2094 with a 32-36" bar would make it a lot easier. Heck if I lived a little closer I would bring over a 090 with a 60" bar and have me some fun cutting up a tree worthy of some big saw long bar attitude. LOL
Hope you can get some help from some of the members that live a little closer than I do, my vacation trip this year takes me to Alaska, now that`s a little further away than Florida but the wife says no chainsaws on this summers trip. I will have to contact some members out that way to smuggle me in and cache a couple saws for me to start and run along the way, can`t see being away from saws for 22-25 days.
Pioneerguy600

Yes it was blown down in high winds. It was a live tree, but not sure how healthy as the roots broke away from the trunk. First oak I've seen blown over that didn't pull up a lot of roots. I have a couple of photos one sort of shows the base. Not sure anything is feeding it anymore. It's been down 2 weeks so it's still green, not dried out and hard as a rock. My brothers place is outside Lake City, you'll find it on the map where I-75 and I-10 cross.

The 6401 that was mentioned I rent from Home Depot is a 64cc saw from what they told me. My Husqvarna 162SE is a 61.5cc saw. Is an extra 2.5cc's really going to make the kind of difference worth me renting it?

Here's a link to a photo of the tree before most of the work. I couldn't get it to upload here so use this link.

No, the 6400/6401 won't make any difference on that trunk! :givebeer:

I think the 6401 comment was about abusing someone elses saw.It looks like you only have 15' or so of the big wood by the look of the pic unless the person next to it is very tall or I need glasses.I would take all the branches off and call a wood carver and make a lawn ornament out of it and leave it where it is:hmm3grin2orange:

I think the 6401 comment was about abusing someone elses saw.It looks like you only have 15' or so of the big wood by the look of the pic unless the person next to it is very tall or I need glasses.I would take all the branches off and call a wood carver and make a lawn ornament out of it and leave it where it is:hmm3grin2orange:[/QUO Sorry,guess it didn't work.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the info and knowledge you guys are sharing. I'm going to head up to my brothers place this coming Friday with my Husky 162SE and two Poulan 2150's that were givin to me by some friends trying to help. I spent a few hours today cleaning them up, sharpening the chains and chainging rotted fuel lines and cleaning the carbs. Both are running like a champ now.

I really appreciate all the info and knowledge you guys are sharing. I'm going to head up to my brothers place this coming Friday with my Husky 162SE and two Poulan 2150's that were givin to me by some friends trying to help. I spent a few hours today cleaning them up, sharpening the chains and chainging rotted fuel lines and cleaning the carbs. Both are running like a champ now.

Just looked at the picts of that big tree, those are small saws to be tackling that tree with but if its all you have then you will have to cut small sections off at a time. Cut in as far as the bars can reach and then split out pieces or rip them out by noodling, that will allow further access for the saws bar. It will take some time but you can do it by cutting small pieces off at a time. Good luck and work safe.
Pioneerguy600

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I thought you were begging for anything.The get together idea stems from the fact that a lot of us have some "under utilized" toys.A get together is an opportunity to meet some of the other guys posting here and in addition "play with our toys".If a little work gets done,so much the better.How's the weather in north Florida in October?I would think about ideal for a project like this.Where is the place anyway?

the n fl octobers are what the most of the rest of you call summer. those of you who say they can't cut when the temps reach 70° should not plan to come.

to the OP, i am booked this weekend but i might be able to come the next one. i have a Mac 125 with a 60" bar that is just itching to cut something like that into tiny little pieces. i also have a 94cc husky and some 80cc dolmars that would love a good hard day in the wood pile.

where exactly is this tree? i live near waycross.

the n fl octobers are what the most of the rest of you call summer. those of you who say they can't cut when the temps reach 70° should not plan to come.

to the OP, i am booked this weekend but i might be able to come the next one. i have a Mac 125 with a 60" bar that is just itching to cut something like that into tiny little pieces. i also have a 94cc husky and some 80cc dolmars that would love a good hard day in the wood pile.

where exactly is this tree? i live near waycross.

This is very true. It may very well still be in the 80's or 90's here in October.

The tree is just outside Lakecity, FL off Pinemount Rd. It's about 1 hour and 45 minutes southwest of Waycross.

Do what you can Nmurph,you'll have fun I'm sure.I would imagine you won't be the only one that would like to tackle that trunk.Take plenty of pictures and be sure to "count the rings" on that tree.I'll make the first guess at the age,I'll go with 225 years.
I'm usually around Beaufort,SC. in October,shrimping with a casting net and crabbing for those fat blue crabs.I had a pretty good idea what the weather might be in Lake City.Kind of in the "neighborhood" so to speak.

On a side note,can you imagine a slab of that turned into a dining room table?Where are those milling guys when you need them?

You're whittling it on down,hope you're working slowly in the heat.Is it still just you and your brother working it up?

Well my brothers health has been pretty poor and he's just getting back his weight to just over 100lbs so he really can't do that much. I did 96% of what you see in the photos myself. No I wasn't taking it easy. I busted my ass from sun up to sun down Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm pretty dang sore and twisted an ankle trying to get out of the way of a big log coming off.

Maybe a few of the guys on here that live nearby will stop in to help.That's a pretty big job to tackle alone,but it looks like you've made a lot of headway.What are you going to do with all that wood?

Maybe a few of the guys on here that live nearby will stop in to help.That's a pretty big job to tackle alone,but it looks like you've made a lot of headway.What are you going to do with all that wood?

Wow I see it's been over a year since I was last here so no one may be interested in this anymore. After this last post I headed back to my Brothers to finish this job. I did get a couple of offers of help from this site but they didn't pan out partly because I no longer could afford extras like internet service and such. I tackled this big tree almost completely by myself with my old Husky and 2 POS Poulans. I wore out the two Poulan 2150's to the point they no longer had enough compression to run. The Husky 162SE did tackle that big truck with it's 28 in bar, It had to as I had no other option. It ran like a champ and wore my arms out till they were just numb. After finishing that trunk I don't think I could raise my arms again for hours. The July heat in FL while working on this tree that last weekend almost hit 100 and the humidity had me completely soaked in sweat from sun up to sun down.
I was so dang sore, nicks and cuts all over my legs and arms. It was just to damn hot for long pants and shirts.

After it was all cut up I was able to work a deal with a local guy that sells fire wood. He came with a Bobcat and picked up all the wood and took it away. All that is except a large part of the trunk we kept. I liked someone's idea of a table top. It's been drying a little over a year now.

For any that read this post wondering about taking on a job like this themselves. Don't let someone tell you 60+ cc's it not enough saw, it is if your willing to work very hard. If you have the will to get it done you can do it.

In its day, that 162 was one of the best saws out there, and I imagine its still fairly fresh inside, given your description of only having used up one bar.

Kinda fun burning up a couple of cheap Poulans? Lots of us point our fingers at them and laugh, but there's more than a few of us that wouldn't find enough wood to cut in a year to wear TWO of them out! Living in MN, I can't even imagine working in the summer heat of Florida, either. I start complaining when the heat index goes over 90!

Looking at how the tree sheared its roots off, I'm thinking it was probably a matter of time, anyway. Maybe the storm did you a favor: felling that tree might have been a real fright, especially if it developed rotten spots near the bottom.

I bet your Grandpa is smiling down on you now, knowing how hard you worked and how his old saw did the job. Good that you have pictures; memories made and recorded

I will say the obvious thing that I can't see any others mentioned; a 28" bar is waaaay too long on a 162se!

Another thing, what is the condition of the drive sprocket, on that old saw?

Last edited:
I bet your Grandpa is smiling down on you now, knowing how hard you worked and how his old saw did the job. Good that you have pictures; memories made and recorded

I bet he is!!! I hope I made him proud.

I will say the obvious thing that I can't see any others mentioned; a 28" bar is waaaay too long on a 162se!

Another thing, what is the condition of the drive sprocket, on that old saw?

I just thank God it had a 28" bar on it. It sure did the job for me, never seemed to struggle to run it. I ran a 91VS chain on it the last weekend of the job and I really love the 91VS chain. Should have started the job with it. I'm not sure what was on it before the 91VS but it didn't cut anything like the 91VS. The 91VS would power through the limbs up to the 28" range in maybe 20 seconds or less. The drive sprocket looked really good when I put the 91VS chain on. Little to no wear. Not sure what condition it's in now that the job's done. Will need to check that.

I don't know if the 162se ever had a heat shield on it or not but I wish it would have had one while cutting up this tree. Even with a gloves on the heat from the exhaust was burring up my hand. That would be the one thing that would force me to take a break now and then.

Back