husqvarna 242xp and 238se difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eat a peach

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm back with another frankensaw question .It seems I have been blessed witha 238se 85? model that has had a242xp p&c added to it.
anybody able to tell me the differences,similarities between them? (ST maybe):msp_biggrin:

A few more cc's, a different walbro carb, taller cylinder head, a few more thousand rpm's. Aside from that basically the same saw...

Yep! Looked at that saw myself. 238 is worth more than 242 because they are rarer so I've been told.
Shep

I picked up a 242 a few years back. Its marked 242, and I don't see xp on it, but don't see reference to a 242 vs 242xp. I've re-ringed it and run it, tuned it to best pull "in the wood". IIRC, it doesn't get close to 15,500 WOT, more like 14K. I had bought a Meteor piston kit for it, but the dome on the Meteor was lower than the stock piston:msp_confused:, and I couldn't make up the difference by deleting the base gasket, so the existing piston went back in with the new ring or rings. It runs pretty strongly for a 42cc saw.

A few more cc's, a different walbro carb, taller cylinder head, a few more thousand rpm's. Aside from that basically the same saw...

Yes, there were a few years of development between the 238se and the xp version of the 242.

The 238se was a short-lived model, so it fits that they are much more rarely found.

I picked up a 242 a few years back. Its marked 242, and I don't see xp on it, but don't see reference to a 242 vs 242xp. I've re-ringed it and run it, tuned it to best pull "in the wood". IIRC, it doesn't get close to 15,500 WOT, more like 14K. I had bought a Meteor piston kit for it, but the dome on the Meteor was lower than the stock piston:msp_confused:, and I couldn't make up the difference by deleting the base gasket, so the existing piston went back in with the new ring or rings. It runs pretty strongly for a 42cc saw.

The 242 was made for years, before the xp version came out. The specs weren't the same all the way, even after it became an xp.

As far as I understand it, the "hottest" version didn't appear before some time in 1994, but the xp designation dates back a few more years.

Not everything in this "picture" is clear to me though....

Last edited:
140s

The 242 was made for years, before the xp version came out. The specs weren't the same all the way, even after it became an xp.

As far as I understand it, the "hottest" version didn't appear before some time in 1994, but the xp designation dates back a few more years.

ST ,I also have an old 140s ,do you know how closely they are related? THANKS

I'm back with another frankensaw question .It seems I have been blessed witha 238se 85? model that has had a242xp p&c added to it.
anybody able to tell me the differences,similarities between them? (ST maybe):msp_biggrin:

Still have the org. 238 p/c?
There is another member here looking for one.

Just saw a picture on CL of a 238 with a cut away top cover that had a 242 topend on it.

The tag on mine is marked 242 and the first 3 digits of the serial number are 003, so I'm assuming 3rd week of 1990?

ST ,I also have an old 140s ,do you know how closely they are related? THANKS

Well, both are Husqvarna saws - and made for professional use - that's about as close as it gets.

The 140s is a much older model, that belongs to an older "family" of saws. Actually the 140 was the first model in that older "family", while the 242xp was about the last one in the newer one.

Yes, bolts right on. the 246 topend (open port) performs better than a 42 special topend (open port).. the 242xp topend (closed port) performs best out of the bunch.

You are right that the 246 replaced the 42 as the "low cost" open port alternative to the 242xp.

You are right that the 246 replaced the 42 as the "low cost" open port alternative to the 242xp.
Its funny if you think about it. How much $$$ did husqvarna save, per saw, by going to open port 246 cylinder? Probably $5.00.. Comical.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Its funny if you think about it. How much $$$ did husqvarna save, per saw, by going to open port 246 cylinder? Probably $5.00.. Comical.

They may not have saved a single cent in the production cost of each saw, but it made them able to hit the lower "price point" without having to develop another basic design.

This has been a common way to do things among the O P E brands for some decades.

They may not have saved a single cent in the production cost of each saw, but it made them able to hit the lower "price point" without having to develop another basic design.

This has been a common way to do things among the O P E brands for some decades.
Ripping off the consumers

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Back