husqvarna 242xp and 238se difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ripping off the consumers

Btw, this practice isn't specific to the O P E brands - it is done with a lot of different stuff.

The production cost of each unit has little to do with the (recommended) sales price, for a number of reasons. Development costs, and what they believe the end products can sell in sufficient numbers for (in different markets) are major factors.

Btw, this practice isn't specific to the O P E brands - it is done with a lot of different stuff.

The production cost of each unit has little to do with the (recommended) sales price, for a number of reasons. Development costs, and what they believe the end products can sell in sufficient numbers for (in different markets) are major factors.
I understand what you're saying but at the same time the mfg cost versus performance the consumer is taking it in the shorts in the end. 262xp vs 261 is another perfect example

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Its funny if you think about it. How much $$$ did husqvarna save, per saw, by going to open port 246 cylinder? Probably $5.00.. Comical.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
It's probably more than you might think.

Example No.1 - 162SE vs 61. Both 61.5cc.
61 c+p manufacturing cost was about 25 to 30% cheaper than 162.
Probably similar for 246 vs 42.

Example No.2 - 266SE/XP vs 268(aka 66). Both 67cc..
268(66) c+p made in Italy by Gilarnoni. (Part Number:503 44 82-71) Half the manufacturing cost of 266 c+p.

Example No.3 - 242SE/XP vs 42.
42c+p made in Italy by Gilarnoni. (Part Number: 503 57 68-72) I haven't seen the FOB price for these but I'd guess it was also about half the manufacturing cost of 242 c+p.

Some stuff makes a it of sense.Husky came out with the 162 was saw of choice for soft wood loggers then they made 266 it replaces 162 and all the tooling is still there so they put open port cylinde on 162 and called it the 61.
Kash

Some stuff makes a it of sense.Husky came out with the 162 was saw of choice for soft wood loggers then they made 266 it replaces 162 and all the tooling is still there so they put open port cylinde on 162 and called it the 61.
Kash
In Australia, the 44 and 61 "Practika" models were sold alongside the 444 and 162 respectively.

They have two things as a goal, one is to slot saws into price points, so not just the cost of manufacturing, it's about having saws with a power to price point that can be sold in market segments .
There are a multitude of factors when it comes to pricing. Pro users are more likely to make a warranty claim simply because the saw is in constant use so a saw marketed to pro cutters will have a higher warranty component calculated in the wholesale price.
I still remember being quizzed by a prospective saw buyer about the differences between the 61 and 162. The dealer had asked me if it was ok if he gave the guy my number because he himself couldn't convince him that for his purposes (carrying in his truck for emergency road clearing) he was actually better off with the cheaper saw. For one thing, the warranty was twice as long.

Kash

The 61 came out in 78, the 266 didn't come out until 83. There really wasn't much of a tooling change between the 162 and 266, really just the top end and top cover on the earliest 266's. Same carb, same air filter setup etc. The difference in tooling between a 162 and 61 is the same as it would be between the 266 and 61 of the same year. White tops are a white 162 cover, grey tops are a grey 266 cover.

What Electrolux did do with the 162 was make a few minor changes, add a coat of red paint and call it the Jonsereds 630.

Back