Husqvarna 254 advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbyerly

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on a top end rebuild kit for a 97 Husky 254. I'd been wanting a 254 for a while...my father in law runs one and I've really enjoyed cutting with it. Took a chance and picked this one up for $160 on ebay, got it home and found that it's not even making 100# of compression. I've found some cheap top end rebuild kits on ebay ranging from $30-$65, or HL Supply has a "cross performance" kit for $120.

The saw is not pretty by any means... Would you guys go cheap and buy the no name rebuild kit off ebay, buy the cross performance kit, or bag it and consider it a parts saw?

Attachments

• 254.jpg
    254.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1
Looking for some advice on a top end rebuild kit for a 97 Husky 254. I'd been wanting a 254 for a while...my father in law runs one and I've really enjoyed cutting with it. Took a chance and picked this one up for $160 on ebay, got it home and found that it's not even making 100# of compression. I've found some cheap top end rebuild kits on ebay ranging from $30-$65, or HL Supply has a "cross performance" kit for $120.

The saw is not pretty by any means... Would you guys go cheap and buy the no name rebuild kit off ebay, buy the cross performance kit, or bag it and consider it a parts saw?
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.
John Ruskin

Latest posts

Back