Husqvarna 257 upgrade (is it possible???)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a husky 257 that could use a new ring or top end, my question what kind of upgrades are available for the 257? If I go the top end replacement route, is there a bigger displacement topend I could get for it? What about the 262 topend will that bolt to a 257 crank case? I just need to freshen up my 257 and need some opinions!

Last edited:
well, if you got another 257 topend, you could always send the saw out to get some mods done to it, and get more that way.

heck why not go for a woods port job, with my $200 special you cant go wrong! hone the cyl and put some new rings in along with that and she would be a screamer. rings from baileys are $12. the cyl honing is allready included in the woods port work.

What family of saws does the 257 belong to?

Wouldn't all the piston cylinder assemblys from the same family fit?
You know like 359/357 can swap, right? What can the 257 swap with to gain more power?

I was advised not to do a muffler mod to a 257, I guess it comes opened up from the factory, so it breathes ok!

A woods port sounds nice, but right now I am playing mad scientist in the shop. Also i don't think i would have a 257 woods ported, it just ain't worth it!
Maybe a another/better saw. Has anyone ever had a woods ported efco 956?
Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
I've got a 257, it is a heavy biotch, especially with the log wizzard on a 16' bar.It seems like a real strong saw. What cc are they?
Mark

Stihl Crazy said:
The 254 cylinder has the same bolt pattern but will not work on the 257 without changing the crank also. The 262 topend will work on the 257 crank.

Sweet...thats the info I was lookin' fer! That is what I suspected! Thanks

Stihl Crazy said:
The 254 cylinder has the same bolt pattern but will not work on the 257 without changing the crank also. The 262 topend will work on the 257 crank.
The 257 and 262xp also used the same carbs, while the 254xp uses a different one....

50 posts!

Man, I tried to start a new thread to ask some questions and got R-E-J-E-C-T-E-D! A person has to have 50 posts first!:cry: :cry: :cry: Never heard of that ..... it seems silly.
But rules are rules so I guess I will ask one of of my questions here and hope I get an answer.
I have 3 saws. An AV024 Woodboss, an 025, and my lovely Swedish monster Helga, a 372XP. I want to give her all of the reigns I can, and so I read as many of the archived threads on muff mods I could find, and I would like to do that, but I am wondering about this port thing I am reading about. I want Helga to scream through all the hardwood I lay her into. I do not know anything about mods and would like someone to give me some pointers/advice on who/what/where etc..... pretty please. Also, are those two Stihl saws worth at least a muff mod? The 024 seems more powerful and both saws have very few hours on them.
Thanks for any input.

TexasTimbers said:
Man, I tried to start a new thread to ask some questions and got R-E-J-E-C-T-E-D! A person has to have 50 posts first!:cry: :cry: :cry: Never heard of that ..... it seems silly. ...
I agree, and I have not heard of such a rule - unless of course you tried to start your new tread in the "trading post" forum.

Well then....I noticed Bailey's now has 262 cylinder kits available. I am about to buy one to put on my husky 257, if this won't work someone please hollar at me. thanks

You may need a 262 top cover also. I went through this 10 years ago and I think the spark plug position in 262 cyl causes issues when fitting 257 cover. Could be wrong, was some time ago.

Back